Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking out ebay today and came across a chip for the Sky. Suppose to boost the horse power up 20% :eek: I don't recall anybody ever bringing this up in the forum. Is this the real deal,and does anybody know anything about it. Would you consider it? It's going for about 20.00 bucks. check it out, just type in Saturn Sky.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I'm going to try it. Heard it could tear your engine up in the long run

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Geph said:
Checking out ebay today and came across a chip for the Sky. Suppose to boost the horse power up 20% :eek: I don't recall anybody ever bringing this up in the forum.
This has been discussed in several threads. It is a fraud.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
There are two approaches. One is an ECM Reprogramming which alters the way that the computer controls the functions of your engine. Companies are working on this now, but it costs more than twenty bucks.

I do not know of the specific link or product that you found, but I do know that there are lots of products that sell for around twenty bucks or less that are supposed to do miracle things to your performance and/or fuel economy. Magnets to "align" your fuel molecules. Spinners to create "a fuel mix vortex" in your throttle body. Chips to make your car "become hyper-fuel efficient."

The claim is usually that "the man" doesn't want you to have these top-secret technologies, be they GM or the oil companies or the government or whoever. The real conspiracy, though, is usually among the people selling this junk. Twenty bucks is small enough that you are not likely to pursue the matter if it does nothing, but large enough that if a lot of people buy this crap that you can make a handy profit.

From a business sense, if GM could put a $20 gizmo on a car to improve horsepower by 30%, wouldn't they do that? Imagine a SKY that cost $20 more but that could blow away a MX-5s performance. GM would market that in a heartbeat. 50HP for $20? No brainer.

In reality, most improvements result in far smaller gains for a much larger expenditure. 10HP at the expense of a $700 performance exhaust system, for example. GM, in that case, might go with a slightly less efficient exhaust to knock several hundred dollars off the price of the car. If you are willing to pay more to get the boost, then you can upgrade at your own expense (and people do - like me.)

But to think that there is a "miracle" to get you a massive power boost for just a couple of bucks - that is more likely to increase the seller's bank account than it is to increase your horsepower.

Be careful. Be very, very careful.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
102 Posts
From a business sense, if GM could put a $20 gizmo on a car to improve horsepower by 30%, wouldn't they do that? Imagine a SKY that cost $20 more but that could blow away a MX-5s performance. GM would market that in a heartbeat. 50HP for $20? No brainer.
Here's some common sense. GM would KILL to get another 20 or even 10% power out of their base engine. What, you think the company that deigned and built the ecotec doesn't know how to build a chip to control it. It's amazing how many gullible souls are out there that believe the BS that comes from the aftermarket performance companies. There ain't noting you can do to that car that doesn't include super/turbocharging that is going to do squat for performance. None of those claims are verified thru independent testing and those who buy the stuff never admit that it was a waste of money. About the only effect I've known to be true is that CAI's make more noise. If you want performance get a turbo or supercharger and quit wasting your time and money on all that other useless crap. I love the way the ECM tuners
BS about how they "take advantage of each engine's individual idiosyncracies"
as if the chips don't do that already, as they have for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I havn't been around the sports car sceen for some time now, but I'm d%$m sure its still HP = $$$ :yesnod:

I believe a CAI installed will be $ 650 +/- and maybe a tad more for a CAT Back....thats about 13 HP and a $ 1200-$1300 investment for some 7% in HP & Torque gain!

For me...., I'm going for the extra $$$$ I like the idea of 190 HP vs 177. :driving:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I belive yall 100%. But for #%$ and giggles, go check it out on ebay. Type in Saturn Sky, go to the 2nd page. :jester:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hp

This chip you have seen will = 0/HP they don't work. What you can do is this...add CAI for $299...Shorty Headers for $349...then Cat for $450 and reprogram you ECM to remove the Granny controls and get a better responce...then replace the T/B go a little bit larger you should be at 160 to 167 WHP or 205 to 210 at the crank...after that Super charge the 2.4 and run it up to 270 HP.....this project should be finished in 3 weeks only waiting on the completed test runs of the SC.....Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seal9, That's exactly what I'll be doing. Sky family, Thank you for all your input. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Geph

I have some good contacts that my engineers are working with, one of my friend built engines for Big Daddy back in the big sled days. Thats why we went with the S/C. :lol: :lol: I will let you know how it go's...but I just picked up a 05 GTO totaled for $2500, good LS with a 6 speed...who knows whats next...seal9:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is a vendor here who is selling an ECM reflash (or a new ECM) that's tuned to remove the granny stuff and make some other changes. O think it was in the $300 range and gave you another 15 whp. But, it requires that you use only premium fuel.

This is realistic, but the $20 thing...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did y'all see the three Sky's on ebay :confused: Ashame :nono:

·
Super Moderator
11,627 Posts
This has been discussed before but we all know how often we use the search feature.

That "chip" is designed to fool your IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor into thinking the air coming in is cooler than it actually is. Now, believe it or not this COULD work...BUT it doesn't. See, for it to work the Timing versus IAT table in your ECM would need to be modified to add timing at whatever temperature that "chip" fools the sensor into thinking the air temp is coming into the engine. Stock, the Timing vs IAT table never adds timing. What it PROBABLY does (haven't seen the table for myself so going off other GM PCMs I've dealt with) is take timing away when air temperatures are very hot to prevent knock from occuring.

In our Grand Prixs we have what are called "happy knobs". They are like this chip but have different temperature steps. By reprogramming our PCMs to add certain amounts of timing at these steps we can increase power with the turn of a knob...which makes us very happy...unless we add too much and go BOOM.

With a stock table in the ECM though, this will not work unless it's like 110 outside and your ECM is pulling timing from the heat...I just hope there is no Knock because the timing you're adding is only being taken right back AND you could damage the engine.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Step right up ladies and gents. We have some new stuff here that will ad 400hp to your little 2.4 L Sky. For a small fee of just $50 we'll turn your Sky into a Vette killer. And over in this corner we have our latest snake oil. It'll get rid of all those little problems. :lol:

·
Registered
802 Posts
GMguy said:
Here's some common sense. GM would KILL to get another 20 or even 10% power out of their base engine. What, you think the company that deigned and built the ecotec doesn't know how to build a chip to control it. It's amazing how many gullible souls are out there that believe the BS that comes from the aftermarket performance companies. There ain't noting you can do to that car that doesn't include super/turbocharging that is going to do squat for performance. None of those claims are verified thru independent testing and those who buy the stuff never admit that it was a waste of money. About the only effect I've known to be true is that CAI's make more noise. If you want performance get a turbo or supercharger and quit wasting your time and money on all that other useless crap. I love the way the ECM tuners
BS about how they "take advantage of each engine's individual idiosyncracies"
as if the chips don't do that already, as they have for the past 20 years.
Yes, yes, yes..Right on the money.."About the only effect I've known to be true is that CAI's make more noise". Take out the factory air cleaner and hear the same deep throated sound..We used to do that with stock cars that we took to the drags..Seemed like more power, but just sounds. The times were the same. The only difference is the driver.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.