Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting more and more of my aftermaket parts for my SKY and still don't have the SKY yet. I just got my kappasphere Cold Air intake which brings my list to the following:

Cold Air Intake
HID's (lowbeam and fog)
Black out paint (you'll have to see what i do with this stuff...)
Super Bright LED Bulbs
Custom flowmaster exhaust setup with dual outlet option for later
Ipod conections with dock
Kappasheild (still aiting for the SKY version but will be ordering)

Plus I hear from a little birdy that RK Sport is working with saturn motorspots to create some parts that qoute," will rival what we have built for the solstice"

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Man that sucks... but at least it feeds the excitement while you wait.

Do this, go in to your garage (or steet if need be), put all the parts out in their respective places, get a chair and put it where you think the driver's seat would be, drink 4 mad dog 20/20s and a box of wine, at this point you should be so plastered that you will think you are able to talk to animals, go sit in the chair and take your Sky out and have a ball.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You say "Still no Sky" like you are actually EXPECTING it already??
You imaged a week after me and with the fastest image build delivery to date I still would not have my car yet....
Mid May to June sounds about right for us to get worried..

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
ruledawg said:
Plus I hear from a little birdy that RK Sport is working with saturn motorspots to create some parts that qoute," will rival what we have built for the solstice"
Not sure what those could be since they're already developing a Supercharger for the Solstice that's not out yet. Now maybe they mean exterior appearance items? because any performance item made for a Sky would also backwards fit a Solstice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
You say "Still no Sky" like you are actually EXPECTING it already??
You imaged a week after me and with the fastest image build delivery to date I still would not have my car yet....
Mid May to June sounds about right for us to get worried..

Thats when I am epecting it. Not getting impatient, just really fun getting parts with no car to put it in. it will take me like all day to put all this stuff in.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
ruledawg said:
Thats when I am epecting it. Not getting impatient, just really fun getting parts with no car to put it in. it will take me like all day to put all this stuff in.
Just riding you a bit...:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The hold up on the Skys my be explaind in a diffrent post by agirltrucker, she said the sky are on hold and some have even been pulled of the train due to the problem of the wheels rubbing the inside of the wheel wells, I think the spring are to soft for the weight, they worked to get a softer ride and may be didnt check what weight and bumps do to the car...SEAL9

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
seal9 said:
The hold up on the Skys my be explaind in a diffrent post by agirltrucker, she said the sky are on hold and some have even been pulled of the train due to the problem of the wheels rubbing the inside of the wheel wells, I think the spring are to soft for the weight, they worked to get a softer ride and may be didnt check what weight and bumps do to the car...SEAL9
Spring rates for Solstice and SKY are the same. Sheet metal and wheel liners are slightly different - that's why the liner clearance is different between the two (it has nothing to do with loading - besides, the wheels/suspension have some recession in compression, which means the clearance gets better as you load it down, but under acceleration, the rear wheels move forward and can contact a car with lower-than-normal clearance).

·
Registered
669 Posts
ruledawg said:
I keep getting more and more of my aftermaket parts for my SKY and still don't have the SKY yet. I just got my kappasphere Cold Air intake which brings my list to the following:

Cold Air Intake
HID's (lowbeam and fog)
Black out paint (you'll have to see what i do with this stuff...)
Super Bright LED Bulbs
Custom flowmaster exhaust setup with dual outlet option for later
Ipod conections with dock
Kappasheild (still aiting for the SKY version but will be ordering)

Just got my lil' Chromies and CG-Lock today.:) Just waiting on the BIG delivery!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
KappaMan said:
Spring rates for Solstice and SKY are the same. Sheet metal and wheel liners are slightly different - that's why the liner clearance is different between the two (it has nothing to do with loading - besides, the wheels/suspension have some recession in compression, which means the clearance gets better as you load it down, but under acceleration, the rear wheels move forward and can contact a car with lower-than-normal clearance).
So you feel the weight (over 220 lbs) is just a story? It is more of just a clearence problem that should have been caught on the test track?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
So you feel the weight (over 220 lbs) is just a story? It is more of just a clearence problem that should have been caught on the test track?
Either that or it was an issue that didn't appear in the testing that showed up with variation once vehicles were being built in the assembly plant.

Happens all the time - test vehicles rarely represent 100.000000% of what is built in the plant. Parts can dimensionally change (especially plastic parts) once you heat the tools up and make the parts in earnest at line rate. I suspect this is more along the lines of what has been seen, but I doubt we'll ever know.

As far as the clearance being related to loading, I just don't buy it, and is prolly just another "story" - great for entertainment, but exactly how urban legends start. Like the "SKY wrecked in atlanta" stories.

Rumors and stories tend to spread VERY quickly through a dealership network - firstly because they tend to be rather tight knit groups, and secondly because stories tend to fill a "vaccuum" of information, if you know what I mean.

A tertiary reason would also be that many of the dealership network have never set foot in an assembly plant or supplier assembly plant, have never worked on the line, never worked with plastics tools or stamping dies, or welding tools, or ever taken a shock absorber apart and put it back together, or even driven a "semi-performance" car on a racetrack... Therefore (this will sound crass, I know, but I'll just say it) they lack the critical skillz that someone more technical could look at a story and determine very quickly if it doesn't pass a "sniff test". They are salespersons - then know about profit, and customers, and how to sell cars (usually) and extract money from paying customers - they have no idea that parts like the wheel liner could actually change from the tube to real life tools... but they do.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Well Thats all well and good unless you just ended up with one of the SKY's that has the problems...Yes I know Saturn will fix them, but I don't think it make the owners feel much better, I would hope American auto builders could do better, They have the same problem with the GTO, so this is not new...SEAL9:cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ipod Dock Connector for Sky

There's an aftermarket accessory for the sky that allows you to connect to the ipod via dock and control it from the head unit? Have a Pioneer 8600MP in my SUV right now and really like it -- wasn't looking forward to having to use Aux-in when my Sky comes in.

I haven't found any other info besides your post above. Please advise.

Rob

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Tenari said:
There's an aftermarket accessory for the sky that allows you to connect to the ipod via dock and control it from the head unit? Have a Pioneer 8600MP in my SUV right now and really like it -- wasn't looking forward to having to use Aux-in when my Sky comes in.

I haven't found any other info besides your post above. Please advise.

Rob

I wasn't aware of any aftermarket accessory that allowed an iPod to be controlled through the head unit on a Sky. :confused: :confused: The AUX jack is the only method that I'm aware of for using an iPod in the Sky. If such an accessory does indeed exist...I too, would like more info on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure if you are able to actually control an ipod with the SKY's radio. What I am going to do is use a monster connector that i used in my previous car. I will mount it to the dash and run power and audio cables to the back of the radio. I will still have to use the ipod controls to contol it but it will be right at my finger tips.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It wouldn't have taken an Einstein at Saturn to notice how close the tires come to that bulge in the rear wheel wells. On the left side I can barely fit my pinky finger between the two. On the right side a fingernail would be a tight fit. Both sides are rubbing. I haven't used the car since I brought it home from my dealer. Want the new liners installed first. While detailing the car today I noticed that the lettering on the right rear tire is practicaly worn off !! It looks like it was turned down on a lathe and a channel was cut in the tire. If some over zealous tester hit a curb the higher part of the tire would be messed up along with the chrome wheel. This damage is really strange ?? The front spoiler is also scratched up...someone at the dealership who put an additional 11 miles on my car before I picked it up the day after it was delivered must have scraped something.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You are not really gonna damage anything by driving it with the old wheel wells. The other damage though -- That I'd bring up to the dealer -- PRONTO! Good reason to take it for a ride... HEY LOOK AT THIS!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
nscrbug said:
I wasn't aware of any aftermarket accessory that allowed an iPod to be controlled through the head unit on a Sky. :confused: :confused: The AUX jack is the only method that I'm aware of for using an iPod in the Sky. If such an accessory does indeed exist...I too, would like more info on it.
Tenari was possing a question, they were asking if there was a product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts