Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I wonder. The car (and redline in particular) will be rare for a long time. rare cars are not stolen so much - sure they will be taken for a joyride but 95% of car theft is for parts. I don't see the need to steal for 10,000 cars.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Interesting article. Heck, I was fully expecting to see my pre-Sky car on that "least expensive" list - my VW Beetle cost about $400 a year to insure, and that was for FULL coverage. I thought that was pretty cheap. But I still believe that geographic location has a lot to do with higher insurance rates.

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
In the event that one would have their beloved Base Sky or Redline totaled out....I was wondering if one could get an agreed or replacement value on a Redline...based on the rarity of the car who really knows when you'd be getting another? Possibly years:rolleyes: If you could find a RL or even a base Sky it would surely be over MSRP... and not what you paid for it and you would not only lose your Sky but also money.

Any ideas???

Would Hagerty insurance for classics be an option?....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Inline4Redline said:
In the event that one would have their beloved Base Sky or Redline totaled out....I was wondering if one could get an agreed or replacement value on a Redline...based on the rarity of the car who really knows when you'd be getting another? Possibly years:rolleyes: If you could find a RL or even a base Sky it would surely be over MSRP... and not what you paid for it and you would not only lose your Sky but also money.

Any ideas???

None of the insurance companies really care about getting you a new car. They all state that they will "replace" your car (read – “Write a check”) covering a new car same make model (many now will give total replacement value for a time - usually the model year). Still though, it is a check not a car. Then you have to order the car and wait -- just like everyone else. Or buy used or another car.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For my base SKY my ins was about $600. But because there are two drivers and three cars - the coverage on the other cars shrank by more than $300.... Not bad.:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Inline4Redline said:
I was was able to do this with my Collector Edition Trans Am, which only runs me $475/yr.

·
Registered
173 Posts
...Don't even get me started on insurance here in NJ:banghead:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope they don't kill me with the rates on my Redline. I pay neary $300/month for my SRT-4 which is currently the 3rd highest priced car to insure according to some survey I read earlier this week................and I live in a 24 hour drinking town with some of the highest rates in the country. :banghead:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pitcom said:
I've already got my insurance set up for the redline and it's no where what i thought it'd be. 100k collision, full tort, 950 yr. I'll look around for better once i get it.
Thats a great price. Thats what I pay on my Lexus, a car that costs $40k! How old are you?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Geico's trying to get me for $1000 for 6 months on my Redline which seems excessive to me since my teenage years have been over for a decade. They're supposedly the cheapest too. That doesn't seem very cheap to me, somehow :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Thats a great price. Thats what I pay on my Lexus, a car that costs $40k! How old are you?
26, but i own a house which helps. I havent gotten a quote yet if i add my house insurance to them as well, but im sure the auto would drop 50-100 for the yr.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
My agent told me the first 6 months to year of insurance on my redline would be based on the purchase price because of low availability and no standard insurance code for the redline version. :D

However right after she said that she told me as soon as the insurance codes were available my rates would be similar to those charged for a honda s2000 :banghead:

Her first guess was when they raise them they would be around $900 a year

·
Registered
49 Posts
:banghead: I am 20 years old & am still on my parents policy as well as a multi-car.

They quoted me $994 every 6 months on the BASE SKY. Now, I have AAA as well. On Progessive.com they offered the base sky with NO multi, or parents discount of $1800 every six months & the Redline was $300 more, at $2100. I was kinda hoping my insurance agency (AAA), will also only be a mere $300 difference as well.

What does everyone else think? The main thing that will prevent me getting the Redline is the insurance... I have ALWAYYYYYYS wanted a turbo charged car as well as a convertible & the Sky is my top pick... what should I do!? I drove a base Sky & HATED the performance.:banghead:

·
Registered
141 Posts
As a general rule, if you're young enough to enjoy a turbo you almost certainly can not afford the insurance.

Thats not 100% true, but close.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
CrackerJackToy said:
:banghead: I am 20 years old & am still on my parents policy as well as a multi-car.

They quoted me $994 every 6 months on the BASE SKY. Now, I have AAA as well. On Progessive.com they offered the base sky with NO multi, or parents discount of $1800 every six months & the Redline was $300 more, at $2100. I was kinda hoping my insurance agency (AAA), will also only be a mere $300 difference as well.

What does everyone else think? The main thing that will prevent me getting the Redline is the insurance... I have ALWAYYYYYYS wanted a turbo charged car as well as a convertible & the Sky is my top pick... what should I do!? I drove a base Sky & HATED the performance.:banghead:
Keep looking. I had a trans am when i was 19 and only paid 1700 a yr on my own policy. Progressive wanted 4000 yr when i checked them, they have always been super expensive around here. Only adivce is to keep checking, or go to safe driver school (which can knock a few hundred off nationwide insurance). If you go to college i got a great discount for making dean's list each semester. Unfortunately insurance doesnt go down for a single person until you hit age 25, buy a house or get married. Least that's how it is where i live.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm paying $900 here in Southern Maryland which is a suburb of D.C. Sounded high to me until I read what some of you were quoted.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

No offense but you basically answered your own question. Since the base Sky did not satisfy your need for speed & power, going for a faster car is why the premiums for young men like yourself are so high. Most are aggressive (fast) drivers, do not have enough experience (in others words years driving), are poor drivers, (can't maintain control) & therefore are more dangerous out on the road, therefore super high insurance costs. If high premiums keep young aggressive drivers (men or women) from buying a dangerous (fast) car, I am for that.

On the other hand I am sympathetic to your problem. Have you considered staying with with your parents policy? If you think about it for $188 more not only are you insured for a whole year $1988 per year, instead of $2100 per 6 months, BUT it will save you (or your parents) $2,212.00 per year, in that way you CAN buy that R/L, what you think?? Besides, if you are going to college, it might be wiser to stay with parents policy until you reach the magic age of 25, or get married, or buy a house. Just a thought. Good Luck!

PS: I am much older than you, have 4 cars insured and only pay $466 per 6 months with progressive, which is $932 per. O, and thats not for a R/L, just a plain ole Sky--
MB

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I pay about 100/month with a 16% good driving discount.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts