Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a topic we have been debating at work, Which would you rather own, a $25,000 motorcycle or a $25,000 roadster?
what are your reasons for your choice?

I say a Roadster

1. all weather operation
2. Same open air feeling
3. More comfort
4. AIR CONDITIOING when the days are overly hot and humid
5. HEAT on those chilly days and nights
(you can run the heat and air even with the top down )
6. Safer by far, easier to be seen by other drivers

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
7. Radio, CD changer, MP3 player + Subwoofer

I know there are bikes with radios, but I'm sure they never sound as good as the ones in cars. ;)

edit: my vote for roadster

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been a biker for the last 10 years. I am selling my VRod currently on eBay and will be selling my Vstrom, shortly.

I do not have a roadster and never have. The reason I am selling my bikes and going the roadster route is. The Solstice has an advertised base price less than a few Harleys. It is an all season vehicle. I am looking forward to getting the same open road feeling with a roadster but without a helmet, padded jacket, gloves, boots, and long pants. As road congestion builds the bike is feeling less and less safe.

The wife hasn't wanted to ride with me since I sold my Goldwing but she will ride in a roadster.

I'm sure I will miss the motorcycling sensation but I'll give the roadster a shot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is an interesting debate! I've had the same with myself. I'm still actually pretty undecided. I think it depends a great deal on what bike you want to buy. You can get an INSANELY fast sport bike for less than HALF the cost of the Sky. Generally speaking, sport bikes can carry two, as long as she's willing to hold on tight. :p

Performance-wise, there's really NO comparison between any self-respecting sport bike and any car under $50k. The Corvette comes close to a 500cc Ninja, or a 600cc GSX-R, etc, but a bike will pretty much outhandle any car, end of story.

Sure, there's the whole safety and comfort factor, and you can probably carry a little more in the Sky, but that's debatable. If you get a BMW bike with the hard saddle bags, I'd bet you could carry more than the Sky. A big H-D or Honda probably has as much storage as the Sky. Some bikes have heaters, heated seats, and enough fairings to keep rain, wind, and bugs off you. Some of the big cruisers really are just about as comfortable as a roadster with the top down.

So far as tunage, you could always bring along your iPod and wear the headphones inside your brain bucket, although that's not very safe now is it? :p

It all comes down to your priorities. Everything is a compromise. Some people can't handle only having 2 seats and 4 cubic feet of storage and no hardtop roof. If you can't live with that, then you can't live with a Sky or Solstice! I know guys that ride their bikes to work almost every single day of the year. I wish I had a bike nice enough to do that, and I also wish it weren't so damned hot here in Texas, but that's not gonna change!

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMHO a $25000 bike is going to be something you don't ride very often. You can get a Victory or almost any BMW for 15k or less and the rice burning cruisers from Yamaha and Suzuki will get you two bikes for the price of a Sky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll put this into the mix, I think it really depends on where in the US you are. The Sky could be used in winter in the north, I don't see Harley's (and at 25k we are talking Harley's) out after Halloween very often. Also, if you are talking about a novice rider, they will need gear and license endorcement. For me a 25k motorcycle vs. a 25k roadster, it's the roadster.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well those crotch rockets are just death on wheels, IMHO...Kids buy them coz they are cheap and then act like they own the road with them... the other day there was about 6 of them riding in a group, two would lay back and hold up traffic and the others would ride side by side doing wheelies , down the road doing 60MPH and more... then two others would lay back and those would start doing it, I got on the phone and called 911 and reported it, one must have had a police scanner because about a minute later they scattered in different dirrections....
Why do these people act like such Idiots on the road? they will wind up splattered all over the highway someday... :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am one of those crotch rocket owners... For the money you can't beat the technology that comes out of the big 4 Japanese makers. I paid 4500 for a used '03 CBR 600RR that makes 115hp and weighs 440lbs wet. That's a 3.8lb/hp ratio - and about 4.95lbs/hp with me on it. A Ferrari Enzo has a ratio of ~4.75lbs/hp. Until I can afford the Enzo, I'll still be riding.

While I don't stunt or condone stunting, there are always those who will prove Darwin right. I often see bikers fitted in full leather suits, gloves, and boots, but wearing NO HELMET! Don't think all sportbike riders are like that.

Back to the original question - I would take BOTH! Most times I would rather drive the roadster due to the convenience of it. When I need a speed fix I'll take the bike out for a run on the backroads and scenic routes. For me, the car is semi-practical, while the bike is 100% toy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
$25k bike? No current production street bike is worth $25k imo. I ride every day in Las Vegas. Doing so I can avoid traffic jams and spend less money on fuel. I don't consider it unsafe, merely challenging.

My roadster will be for those odd times when I need to drive to work. I will also use it on weekends for pleasure when my wife wants to come along as she does not like the bike. I am still undecided on whether to purchase a Sky/Solstice or a Ferrari. For $30-$40k you can get a real nice Ferrari. :)

BTW, if you think driving a roadster is the equivilent of riding bike, you are sadly mistaken. Granted, both are very pleasureable; but they are different.

·
Registered
149 Posts
classic66vair said:
Well those crotch rockets are just death on wheels, IMHO...
Well for what it's worth I've been riding bikes for 40 years and the last two have been as you describe them "crotch rockets". The former was a ZX-6 and the current a VFR 800. I am here to tell you that your description of them being death on wheels is not necessarily true. Sure, in the hands of an inexperienced rider they can get you hurt or worse. If you learn to ride as well as educate yourself about the skills needed to survive cages and rocks in apexes you will love the results. I don't think there is any four wheel ride that will give me the grins I experience on two wheels. Having said that, I am looking. Both my bikes together were less than the $25K threshold listed in this thread, but I could see someone owning a Duck 996 or even a 750 making a strong case for their bikes. In my case I might sell my bike when I get the Solstice / Sky, but time will tell. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a sky roadster but it in no way can be compared to a motorcycle. I own a 2004 yamaha R1 .... or as you call it a crotchrocket, just because someone owns a crotchrocket does not mean they all act like dicks and do wheelies everywheres. Theres a time and a place for everything, if you crash at a 160mph it doesnt matter if your in a car or on a bike it will inevitably be the same outcome. My R1 is a monster but I respect it, i rather riding then driving any day, it will always be way more fun and I've done both on the track. ill never give up riding it gives you a high that nothing else can match. The sky will simply be for those rainy and winter days....... why roadster then .... well because of its looks, if they made a hardtop id buy one in a second ! Btw, heres a pic of my addiction !

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woah, this is kind of getting off topic, I was not wanting to compair the Sky/Solstice /Miata with the Ninga/Sport/Trail type bikes that cost $4K-$6K but the cruiser bikes and touring bikes in the $17K-$25K range... and yes they do make $25K motorcycles... my friend at work has a Honda Goldwing that with all options cost right at $25K.
MOST of the people around here that ride the sport bikes and trail bikes are the wild riders that give motorcycles a bad rep, the Cruisers and Touring bikes are used mostly the same as a small roadster will normally be used... not to race or go fast but to have fun cruising in the mountians and at the beach...
of course there will always be those that think you need a high powered vehicle to go fast in before you can have fun.... in that case you can go to a racetrack or start a club that does the parking lot slalom races....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yukon42 said:
I ride every day in Las Vegas. Doing so I can avoid traffic jams and spend less money on fuel. I don't consider it unsafe, merely challenging.
May I ask you How you avoid traffic jams on a motorcycle?

·
Registered
554 Posts
classic66vair said:
May I ask you How you avoid traffic jams on a motorcycle?
If you have ever driven a motorcycle during rush hour you would know that they can get through stop and go traffic much easier do to it's size and acceleration capabilities. I not saying they are breaking any traffic laws but a motorcycle can weave through traffic very easy.

I commute to work at least twice a week on my VFR800 on good weather days. My commute is 25-30 minutes via car; 18-25 minutes via bike. The only issue I have is getting dressed and undressed for riding is time-consuming and plays a role in my not driving more often. But the thrill of acceleration on bike is unlike that of any sports car. Going 0-60 in 3 seconds or 0-100 under 8 seconds is unbelievable!! Most $10k sport bikes can do these numbers too.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Delnari said:
If you have ever driven a motorcycle during rush hour you would know that they can get through stop and go traffic much easier do to it's size and acceleration capabilities. I not saying they are breaking any traffic laws but a motorcycle can weave through traffic very easy.

I commute to work at least twice a week on my VFR800 on good weather days. My commute is 25-30 minutes via car; 18-25 minutes via bike. The only issue I have is getting dressed and undressed for riding is time-consuming and plays a role in my not driving more often. But the thrill of acceleration on bike is unlike that of any sports car. Going 0-60 in 3 seconds or 0-100 under 8 seconds is unbelievable!! Most $10k sport bikes can do these numbers too.
well to save 5 to 7 minutes on your commute, not subtracting the time it takes you to get ready to ride, and then weaving in and out of traffic to save a few precious minutes is really a lame excuse for driving like that..
don't you think that that is what gives motorcycle riders a bad reputation, accelerating at breakneck speed and darting through traffic? have you ever considered that one day someone in a car may not see you coming through and when you zig they will zag and you will meet in a big pile in the road? keep this type driving up, it is just a matter of time before someone in a car is in just as much of a hurry as you... and to me it is not tollarable in either a car or mortorcycle...
If you feel that you can do whatever you want on your bike just because it can do it, then you have proven my point about inconsiderate motorcycle riders....
EVERYONE!! Please start driving with respect and courtesy to other drivers whether your in a car or riding a motorcycle, everyone needs to share the road, so please OBEY the law....

·
Registered
554 Posts
classic66vair said:
If you feel that you can do whatever you want on your bike just because it can do it, then you have proven my point about inconsiderate motorcycle riders....
EVERYONE!! Please start driving with respect and courtesy to other drivers whether your in a car or riding a motorcycle, everyone needs to share the road, so please OBEY the law....
Here we go again, another car driver thinking that all motorcycles are dangerous, rude, and idiots on the road. You really don't understand what driving a motorcycle is all about; you need to get out from behind the wheel and actually drive a real sports vehicle to understand! Being able to move better through traffic is not say they are doing anything stupid or illegal! Just like a sports car is lighter than a family sedan and makes lane changes and better time through turns; motorcycles does the same thing to the sports car. Granted there are squids out there that give motorcycling a bad name, but if you ever been on a sports bike you can understand why these kids can be so stupid, just because it's like drug to them and being stupid is easier to do then being smart on the road.

Motorcycling in Europe is so much better than here in the US. Europeans understand the art of driving better than most Americans. Motorcycling is a fun activity; often a small group of us will go up to the mountains and backroads and drive for 200-300 miles in an afternoon. How often have you done this in a sports car???

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Delnari said:
Here we go again, another car driver thinking that all motorcycles are dangerous, rude, and idiots on the road. You really don't understand what driving a motorcycle is all about; you need to get out from behind the wheel and actually drive a real sports vehicle to understand! Being able to move better through traffic is not say they are doing anything stupid or illegal! Just like a sports car is lighter than a family sedan and makes lane changes and better time through turns; motorcycles does the same thing to the sports car. Granted there are squids out there that give motorcycling a bad name, but if you ever been on a sports bike you can understand why these kids can be so stupid, just because it's like drug to them and being stupid is easier to do then being smart on the road.

Motorcycling in Europe is so much better than here in the US. Europeans understand the art of driving better than most Americans. Motorcycling is a fun activity; often a small group of us will go up to the mountains and backroads and drive for 200-300 miles in an afternoon. How often have you done this in a sports car???
Ok i can see i will never convince you and vice versa..so please lets drop this part of the discussion before it escallates any further... I am sorry if i offended you, but I will assure you I have had experience in the areas you question me on...
back to the origonal question now, about having a 25,000 dollar motorcycle or a 25,000 dollar roadster... as I stated in a previous post this was not about sport bikes but crusier motorcycles.
Thanks for your concern and information...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Correct the two types of vehicles do not really compare. Both offer different levels of enjoyment; this is why I own both myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Delnari said:
Correct the two types of vehicles do not really compare. Both offer different levels of enjoyment; this is why I own both myself.
agree. apples and oranges. they are both good. personally I'll stick with a vert, but I always wanted a bike after I went through the motorcycle safety class and learned to ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts