Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me. This is probably a very stupid question, but I honestly do not know. How does the MP3 player work? I've been told by the folks at Best Buy, there are two types of MP3 players in a car. One is a CD that accepts MP3 format and will burn approximately 120 songs. The second, you plug in an MP3 player such as an iPod. Which does the Sky use? I would really appreciate anyone who can answer this for me. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
The CD will play MP3 encoded CDs and there is an auxilliary input jack on the control panel for iPods and other devices...at least on the upgraded stereo system.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
MP3 in Sky

The answer is "Both."

The jack allows you to hook up your MP3 player, IPOD, Computer Audio Output Jack, or portable DVD player output to the SKY sound system. (Why you would want to watch a DVD in a zipping SKY I will never know.) Think of a headphone jack on all of these devices. The SKY has a similar jack in the front of the radio, but it's an INPUT and not an OUTPUT jack. I have a cable that has "headphone plugs" on both ends that I use to connect my stereo to whatever input device I want to plug in. So, in effect, the SKY Monsoon sound system becomes the "Headphones." Personally, I have a Sanyo MP3 player. As soon as I plug in my little cable the Monsoon detects it and switches to "Aux Input" mode. I can adjust the volume by using the volume on the MP3 player, or on the Monsoon, or on both.

As for the disk option, the player can read standard CD encoding, or a disk that has MP3s on it. You should be able to fit 100+ songs on a typical disk when you store MP3s. The quality is not as good as on a CD, but like you would have on an MP3 player...

I hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I will also add that the owner's manual has a very detailed section on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
You can get the mp3 cable at any radio shack, they make a 1 foot long cable with two male ends, one to plug into your mp3 player, and one to plug into the radio. It costs about $5.

FYI, this also works great with the Garmin Nuvi 350 navigation system. You can plug it into the mp3 port and then you get voice directions through your car speakers, its awesome.

Regarding an MP3 player like an ipod. If you want to try it out without having to spend too much money, you can buy an Ipod Shuffle for about $80, these hold something like 125 songs and are easy to use. I have a Nano, and a shuffle. I keep the shuffle in my car all the time because it's small, and the Nano goes with me to the gym and work.

I haven't burned any disks to try out the cd player yet, with an Ipod, there is really no need. In fact, I haven't played any cd's in it at all, yet i have a 6 disk changer...I probably shouldn't have gotten this option. Oh well :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you. Even though I'm very into music, I had not moved into the MP3 world yet, so I'm not that familiar with it. You saved me a trip to the dealership to check it out - although I do like to stop by there and look at it. I'm not due to get mine until the end of summer. Again, thank you very much.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,620 Posts
rocky777 said:
I haven't burned any disks to try out the cd player yet, with an Ipod, there is really no need. In fact, I haven't played any cd's in it at all, yet i have a 6 disk changer...I probably shouldn't have gotten this option. Oh well :)
Yea I was bummed a bit at first that the system that came in my car was only a single disk Monsoon system until I got my iPod Nano...now I like that even more than the CD changer since I get a ton more music on it and it has only the songs I like on it. Very cool!

Now just waiting for the iPod mount that goes in your cigarette lighter so I have a better mounting option than the passenger seat front pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Robotech said:
Yea I was bummed a bit at first that the system that came in my car was only a single disk Monsoon system until I got my iPod Nano...now I like that even more than the CD changer since I get a ton more music on it and it has only the songs I like on it. Very cool!

Now just waiting for the iPod mount that goes in your cigarette lighter so I have a better mounting option than the passenger seat front pocket.
I am rapidly getting "into" burning MP3 disks.... All I need is Sunni1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
I have used both the burned CDs and my SLVR plugged into the MP3 inlet. It is really cool to have so many options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Robotech said:
Yea I was bummed a bit at first that the system that came in my car was only a single disk Monsoon system until I got my iPod Nano...now I like that even more than the CD changer since I get a ton more music on it and it has only the songs I like on it. Very cool!

Now just waiting for the iPod mount that goes in your cigarette lighter so I have a better mounting option than the passenger seat front pocket.
I bought a very attractive ajustable cell phone cradle at the Nextel store for $20.00 that will mount right on the dash board that I like very much. It has an 3M adhesive backing that is easy to remove without damage to the dash if at some later date you choose too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I love the aux in. I bought the black iPod Nano same day as my car. I bought some velcro and affixed it right under the parking brake (perfect fit and easy to use). Looks stylish. I have a 6ft plug (if anyone knows of a 1ft black one I can buy somewhere let me know!). It rocks. Whoever said that the stock stereo wouldn't be able to be heard at high speeds with the top down on the highway must be deaf or not know how to work volume controls.
I suppose I could try to hide the 6ft wire somehow...that might work. Anyway, I would highly suggest this setup if anyone is interested. I got the velcro idea and placement from somewhere on here. Thanks to those original thinkers!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Double check

foolintherain76 said:
I love the aux in. I bought the black iPod Nano same day as my car. I bought some velcro and affixed it right under the parking brake (perfect fit and easy to use). Looks stylish. I have a 6ft plug (if anyone knows of a 1ft black one I can buy somewhere let me know!). It rocks. Whoever said that the stock stereo wouldn't be able to be heard at high speeds with the top down on the highway must be deaf or not know how to work volume controls.
I suppose I could try to hide the 6ft wire somehow...that might work. Anyway, I would highly suggest this setup if anyone is interested. I got the velcro idea and placement from somewhere on here. Thanks to those original thinkers!
I think this one has the right plug ends on it.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2002&sku=40600
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
I thought it meant that you could burn CDs with MP3s. Glad that's correct. With a 6-disk changer of MP3 CDs that should create 24 hours or more of music!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top