Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything else being equal, is it more fuel efficient to drive (1) with the top up and a/c on or (2) top down with a/c off?

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have only averaged 22 mph. I wonder if that is typical, I drive mostly top down.

·
Registered
574 Posts
There is the P.G. factor..........

Your MPG drops when the top is down due to increased turbulence....but due to the P.G. factor..you dont notice the reduced MPG............what is the P.G. factor you ask?..........Perma Grin........:D

seriously we have been averaging about 20-24 MPG with mixed freeway/city driving......mainly with the top down...not enough top up data yet.....

·
Registered
669 Posts
bubbacc said:
Everything else being equal, is it more fuel efficient to drive (1) with the top up and a/c on or (2) top down with a/c off?

Just curious.
Do you mean yours came with a top??:D

I get around 20-22 in mostly city traffic with the top down 95% of the time.
Sorry, not enough top up time to give you a difference.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Note to All

chris67 said:
what is the P.G. factor you ask?..........Perma Grin........:D

Note to all: Perma Grin is related to SGS (Silly Grin Syndrome). Both are very contagious and easily spread between SKY and Solstice drivers. There is no known cure. Bad weather or winter my hde the symtoms for a bit but rest assured, the PG and SGS will reappear once the SKY driver is back on the road.

Both PG and SGS can have an adverse effect on MPG due to a related problem - HF (Heavy Foot).

:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Its a horrible disease...but nice to know i'm not alone..

bigdog said:
Note to all: Perma Grin is related to SGS (Silly Grin Syndrome). Both are very contagious and easily spread between SKY and Solstice drivers. There is no known cure. Bad weather or winter my hde the symtoms for a bit but rest assured, the PG and SGS will reappear once the SKY driver is back on the road.

Both PG and SGS can have an adverse effect on MPG due to a related probelm - HF (Heavy Foot).

I have a nasty case of HF...I wonder if there is a cream or something for it....

:lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
chris67 said:
I have a nasty case of HF...I wonder if there is a cream or something for it....

:lol:
There are actually two treatments for HF
1 - sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher) for topless HF driving
2 - 91 octane

These will not cure HF but they will ease the "suffering".

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts
Mythbusters did a test similar to this...two Suburbans, one with the AC on and the other with the windows down. If memory serves they both went about the same distance. Obviously the top down on our cars is much worse than just rolling down windows but I can't immagine the difference being that huge.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Probably a wash. More turbulance with the top down... more drag over all of that rough canvas with the top up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been averaging 24 mpg with mixed city/highway driving with the top UP and the A/C BLASTING. Here in Phoenix we are still waiting for our top down weather......right now it's only when the sun goes down (and the temp is below 105) or driving up to cooler regions.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Twice

Robotech said:
Mythbusters did a test similar to this...two Suburbans, one with the AC on and the other with the windows down. If memory serves they both went about the same distance. Obviously the top down on our cars is much worse than just rolling down windows but I can't immagine the difference being that huge.
Actually, I believe they did the test twice. The first time was at something like 35 mph - and the result went one way - the next time was at more like 45 mph and the test went the other way. I believe the real question is for each indiviudal car how much drag does the A/C put on the engine vs how much drag does the top down/windows down put on the car - and at what point do those two numbers cross. Below X mph the drag caused by A/C is more than top down - above X mph the drag caused by top down is more than A/C.

If they had a solar powered electric A/C unit that added zero drag.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts