Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting 22.3 MPG. I replaced both O2 sensors Drove to Carson City from Reno @ 80 MPH and got 29.9 MPG
2.4L 5Sp Stick All Stock. Does that sound about right?

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
I average 24.5 MPG in mixed driving, so 22.3 seems about right for mostly city, if that is what you have been doing.

I will average 28-29 MPG with mostly highway driving.

Isn't Reno-Carson City only about 30 miles? That isn't really enough to get a good reading.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sounds about right to me- based on my MPG.

24-26 MPG in mostly city driving- 28-29 MPG on the hwy.
High was 31.2 over an 1100-mile round trip to NASSAM in 2017.
Hwy- @ 77 mph on cruise control mostly with a couple of stops.
Low was 23.5 in stop and sorta go traffic conditions.
The 495 Beltway around the D.C. area dealing with excessive traffic.

Any long trip- 400 miles plus- I do clean my fuel injectors out over two
tank fill ups, that helps sorta with Excelleration & MPG levels.
Mine being a RL model- with auto trans on cruise control with little Turbo boosts
improves my MPG some. The more I get on it with the turbo down
comes the MPG.

I guess it all depends on your driving style or lack thereof. Road conditions,
traffic patterns, lead foot with the right foot. One thing lately is a slight improvement
after changing the plugs & coil packs out. Tires inflated properly. New tires or old ones,
4-wheel alignment, any extra weight you might be carrying around in our large.. trunk space.

New Air cleaner, clean the MAF maybe too. I have also flushed the trans & rear end fluids,
not that these help or hurt the overall MPG performance in my years of ownership.

One test over a short mileage range is hard to gauge. Full tank over a longer mileage might
be a better indicator of what MPG you really are getting. A full tank- range I might get 350 miles
or more, sometimes less if have to boost a lot. With fuel costs being what they are these days-
moderation matters.

LAC

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
My RL pretty much matches my NA in mixed driving, but will get 3-4 MPG more in a highway cruise due to the smaller displacement and taller final drive ratio.

I think you actually need a few tank-fuls of driving to see a real trend in mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep...I did an "ultra drive" (I have a manual) where I put it in neutral, coasted, didn't step on the gas much, etc., and got 34 one drive...was pretty shocked. Of course with the turbo I'm usually doing the opposite...stepping on it and enjoying the acceleration ;-) That's why I bought the car was to enjoy it. Even then around town with having some fun spirited driving I can get around 21-22 mpg.

Our other car is a Suburban...so if we see 16 on a highway trip we're elated.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I have a base with dual exhaust, the full DDMWorks chassis reinforcement and a solid front sway bar.

The car is heavier than when I bought it. It handles pot holes good considering the car's tire profile.

No spoiler. 255/45/18s in back. Aluminum rims. A DDMWorks fuel rail. The car purrs. It has a wonderful sound. The transmission is great and shifts as if a human were doing the shifting. The motor mounts have only 12K on them.

I get about 19.5 MPG City and 20.2 Highway.

Before I put on the Goodrich All Season tires I as getting slightly better mileage: 19.8 City and 22 Highway.

If you're looking for great gas mileage get a Saturn SC2 or SL2. Or get a hybrid or an EV. Don't by a Sky.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have a similar story.

I own a 2007 base model, 2.4L with manual transmission. My DIC states an average of ~29mpg on easy going road trips. Around town it's in the low 20's. I never checked my fuel economy accurately.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Coasting is worse for fuel economy. The engine uses more fuel to stay running. It is always better to leave it in gear. It is also better to accelerate briskly and then maintain a cruise than to accelerate slowly. An internal combustion engine is substantially more thermally efficient at high (but not maximum) load. Also, as mentioned, avoid braking when possible, that is don't tailgate or race up to the lights.

I used to get north of 40 MPG (US) with my Sky Redline when driving at sensible speed on the motorway and following these practices. Of course I rarely drove it sensibly.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Coasting is worse for fuel economy. The engine uses more fuel to stay running. It is always better to leave it in gear. It is also better to accelerate briskly and then maintain a cruise than to accelerate slowly. An internal combustion engine is substantially more thermally efficient at high (but not maximum) load. Also, as mentioned, avoid braking when possible, that is don't tailgate or race up to the lights.

I used to get north of 40 MPG (US) with my Sky Redline when driving at sensible speed on the motorway and following these practices. Of course I rarely drove it sensibly.
Coasting is much better for fuel economy than keeping on the throttle until you hit brakes like typical drivers do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts