Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I figured I'd give my first drive review since it seems like a popular trend. I'll preface this by saying pictures will follow soon and I'm not a professional driver/car guru.

We made it to the dealership around 6:15 to see the yellow SKY sitting right there. My mouth instantly dropped because it's more beautiful in person and pictures can't do it justice. My wife said, "WOW." She hasn't been excited about the car at all but she said, "that's an amazing looking car." The first thing I did was run out to check the paint matching which to me looks very close if not perfect. My salesman was outside and very excited that it arrived.

After spending about 30 minutes inside the dealership, we were about to leave. I posed with my wife for the regular saturn picture and I was off. My wife followed me home since I'm still a bit rusty driving manual transmission.

I had no problems on the way home. I drove like a dream with the top down. The Ipod was plugged into the aux jack and it was very loud with the top down. The bass was good with the music and you can feel the woofer vibrating the seats. The car is very responsive and the brakes are very nice. I will agree with another person's assessment in saying that the car felt heavier but not sluggish in my opinion. There were plenty of people staring at the vehicle and smiling at me while driving. When I pulled into the neighborhood, 4 kids yelled "WHOA.. nice car mister." That made me grin. Backing into the garage was a bit of a challenge being that it was a small space, I was scared to dent my car, it's a small incline, and I'm a newbie with stick shift.

Pictures and a "top up review to follow"

:jester:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How exciting! I'm going to have the same issues with manual trans. Oh well...will be fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MrJester said:
Well, I figured I'd give my first drive review since it seems like a popular trend. I'll preface this by saying pictures will follow soon and I'm not a professional driver/car guru.

I am really getting annoyed. my vin# is 200 ahead of yours and my car was built 2 weeks before yours. I live 1-1/2 hours from the plant and I am still waiting for my Sky to arrive:banghead: I cant take this anymore. Ill be at the bar, waiting impatiently.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mr. & Mrs. Jester, Congrads on your new addition!! If I'm correct she was delivered at 2860 lbs, she is 161 inches long, and has projector-beam eyes. I wish you and yours many miles and many smiles :D :D :D ---Enjoy

·
Registered
804 Posts
IslandHopper said:
Mr. & Mrs. Jester, Congrads on your new addition!! If I'm correct she was delivered at 2860 lbs, she is 161 inches long, and has projector-beam eyes. I wish you and yours many miles and many smiles :D :D :D ---Enjoy
Now that was clever. I will have to make birth announcements to send out to our family with the information listed like you have shown. Good thinking:thumbs:

·
Registered
266 Posts
ROPER said:
I am really getting annoyed. my vin# is 200 ahead of yours and my car was built 2 weeks before yours. I live 1-1/2 hours from the plant and I am still waiting for my Sky to arrive:banghead: I cant take this anymore. Ill be at the bar, waiting impatiently.
mine too #2394 :banghead:

·
Registered
420 Posts
MrJester said:
My mouth instantly dropped because it's more beautiful in person and pictures can't do it justice.
Whoo! I can't wait until I get to finally see mine in person tomorrow.
:drool:

thanks for the review...can't wait to see some of your pics!

·
Registered
295 Posts
skybeam said:
me three I have you all beat vin 2309
2291 and still no car!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2nd day

Well, I decided to take a small road trip to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to visit some family. This drive was taken with the top up the entire way due to the ugly clouds. Here are few comments:

- There was an annoying air sound right near the driver's door the entire way but since I've owned a convertible before this is quite normal for a lot of ragtops. It's only noticable really with the radio off completely.

- Three people almost crashed into me and broke their necks by passing me and turning around to see the car again.

- At 6'2" 250 lbs, the car feels VERY roomy to me for its small size. The driver's seat kinda wraps around you and makes you feel very secure.

- I've noticed the lack of "coin area" when paying the toll and trying to figure out what to do with the .50 change. It ended up in the bottom fold of the shifter until I got to my destination.

- This car handles wonderfully. I've noticed the transmission clunk between 1st and 2nd but it's not always there. It depends on how smooth you shift I think.

- Within the first 5 mins of this drive, a truck pulled out in front of me and was blowing hay all over the road. I pulled over and let it get WAY ahead of me.

- I am totally in love with the IPOD input and Monsoon 1-Disc system. I'm not very picky when it comes to steros but I personally don't think it would be worth it to consider taking this factory stereo out in the future. The bass is PLENTY loud enough for me WITH the top down. It sounds GREAT. This is coming from a guy who LOVES to play his stereo loud.

- The clutch is a short clutch that engages very quickly and the shifter is very tight. It's not hard to shift but it feels like quality when shifting. I wish the clutch pedal was about 3-4 inches more to the left however. It's very hard to hit this pedal with MrJester's Bozo shoes. Just kidding but they are close together.

- My elbow keeps hitting the drink holder in the middle which is a bit annoying. I don't think this cup holder is even usuable at that location but the first person who brings a soda into my car will be walking with the drink anyhow.

- The buttons for the windows are not very easy to reach when sitting in the car. I find it easier to reach across my body with my right arm to hit the driver's side buttons. Also see above that I'm 6'2", 250, with long arms. However, my elbow rests on this side and it works for me.

- People have already said this but I'll say it again. There are blind spots in this car but I expected this as well. Actually I see a lot better out of the windshield and back window than I ever expected.

- When the top is down, somehow it feels like I'd never fit with the top up. When the top is up I find there is more room than anticipated.

- The engine and exhaust sounds NICE. My brother-in-law said it sounds like a 6 cylinder.

- The hood release is a bit hard to find at first but after you locate it, no problem!

- The passenger seat makes a GREAT holder for items along the drive (ie. laptop, sunglasses, cell phones)

- In case you ever get stuck in the trunk, there is a glow in the dark handle to let you out. If you fit, you're either on the brink of starvation, look like smegal from Lord of the rings, or are a small child at one years of age.

- If the passenger or driver does not buckle their seatbelt, the driver light will continue to stay lit on the dashboard and chime/flash every so often but the passenger one will light up right by the airbag sensor and do the same. (Brother-in-law had to test this and my patience)

- The controls are easy to operate for the air temperature and radio. The steering wheel controls are nice along with the DIC.

Well, I tried to add a few things in there that hasn't been mentioned. I hope you found this informative and somewhat entertaining.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I could read stories from SKY owners all day.... Of course that is because I aint got one yet!!:cheers: SKY OWNERS :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts