Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the saturn dealer install mud flaps on my Sky only to see they did not fit, well they fit but are way to small and provide no protection. For those of you who do get them have the dealer intall the ones off the Solstice. The part number is 17800974 for the front and 17800975 for the rears. Saturn guards are to small and I think are generic ones to fit all Saturn cars and not the Sky. My dealer exchanged the saturn ones for the Pontiac guards with no hassle. He did have to drill new holes as the Pontiac guards did not align with the Skys fender well holes/bolts. I am very pleased with the guards and they are not that noticeable. In fact they look fine against the chilli pepper red!:thumbs:

·
Registered
75 Posts
WGH said:
I had the saturn dealer install mud flaps on my Sky only to see they did not fit, well they fit but are way to small and provide no protection. For those of you who do get them have the dealer intall the ones off the Solstice. The part number is 17800974 for the front and 17800975 for the rears. Saturn guards are to small and I think are generic ones to fit all Saturn cars and not the Sky. My dealer exchanged the saturn ones for the Pontiac guards with no hassle. He did have to drill new holes as the Pontiac guards did not align with the Skys fender well holes/bolts. I am very pleased with the guards and they are not that noticeable. In fact they look fine against the chilli pepper red!:thumbs:

Can you please post some pics with the mud flaps... :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm definitely getting the splash guards but figured I'd get them thru the dealer... So I'll get some from the Pontiac Dealer and have them install those instead.

I'm also getting the chilipepper red, so any pics would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Mine is suppose to be in this Saturday or next Monday the latest. I was looking to get some mud flaps to protect the sides and it is great you updated us with the part number.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My GM told me that Saturn has made a specific splash guard (mudflap here down South) for the SKY. They are NOT the same ones put on other Saturns, even though other dealers might be doing that now. His are still on order and won't arrive for a week or so. He did say they were more costly then they had anticipated...HA! not even $179.00 worth they are charging me...even with taking the tires off. I will see them before installation...what's the point if they only come down a couple inches..no protection at all.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
We want Pics! :thumbs: err.. Please??

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Warning

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days, but I've been kinda sick-my Sky has been damaged! Everything was going ok, and I took my baby in to have her Sky mudguards put on. It was pouring down rain that night, so I just signed the order after they put them on and drove home. The drive's side looked fine, so I thought all was well. Well, th next morning, I drove her to work and parked (by herself on one floor of our deck). I walked around to the other side, and bent down to look at the flap. I saw something that almost stopped my heart- there was a hole in my baby! I ran around to the other side, and sure enough, there was a crack on the other side. You all know hoe much I love my retailer and all their staff, and they'e taken good care of all 3 of my Saturns. But, apparently, when they lifted her to put the mudguards on, they did not place the lift correctly. Both front quarter panels are going to have to be replaced. I called my salesguy and he said to bring it in. I drove there as soon a I could get off of work, and the GM looked her over and agreed-the lift was improperly placed and cracked both panels. He said she was safe to drive, and no damage could result from my driving her with the cracks. You can't see them from a normal look, but I know they are there! I've attached pics of the damage and the guards. The guards look fine to me, but they are short. They are ordering the panels, but don't know how long it will take o get them in.:confused:
So make sure they are very careful to place the lift correctly under your baby!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
NCBlue said:
I saw something that almost stopped my heart- there was a hole in my baby! I ran around to the other side, and sure enough, there was a crack on the other side.
I feel for you NCBlue - I would be freaking out myself.

Hope you get your baby fixed soon!

:grouphug:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Service guys are on a learning curve with the Sky. I would be really Po'ed if that had happen to my brand new car. :mad: Sounds like the dealer will take care of the problem. But it's still sad that it happen

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
NCBLUE did the maniac mechanic get reamed by the service manager? I once was a maniac mechanic for NISSAN and did my fair share of screwups but always told the service manager before the customer picked up the vehicle. Yes somedays I was a whole lot lighter for messing up. Skip...:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Now that friends, is one sad story. NCBlue I'm sure it goes without saying that we all feel badly for you! I know I'd be ill if that happened to me! Okay, and quite ticked.....:brentil:

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
The GM said that the guy that did it had left for the day Tuesday, but I'm sure he got it today. I haven't called or anything, just kinda stunned and waiting for my parts. Any volunteers from other silver pearls??? I just need 2 front panels-swap "even-steven"??:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
:eek: Ouch! I almost wanted to cry when I saw those photos. Hope you get fixed up real soon!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Oh wow... that must have pulled at your stomach seeing that... even with my SL2, the techs here kneel down and make sure the lift won't hit anything.

I do have painted rocker panel moldings, have the car lowered 2 inches and and have an ICEled underbody led light kit... so not sure if they do it with all their jobs, or just mine.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Dear Lord! My heart just stopped when I saw that! Sorry it happened, NCBlue! Let us know how it works out and if there's any advice other than 'be careful' we can pass along to our dealers.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wow... NC, that is a bummer. The good news is, you caught it and it's back at the dealer. Imagine having not noticed it, let time go by, and not know that it was from the dealership and maybe something else, right? I'm sure that the folks at the dealership feel horrible, or so you would think. Right? Well, you will have your car soon!!!! And it's going to be like new - BECAUSE IT IS!!! I send positive energy to get you through this! We're here for you!:)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
NCBlue I feel for you!:nonod:

And now you know why I tend to install those kind of parts myself. I have a low floor jack that I use on my Corvette and on the XJ6 I had because they sit so low, and tend to put on the hard points. By that I mean axles, shock mount points, steel frame cross members, etc, instead of the "jack lift point". When you use a floor jack, as most shops do, when you remove a tire, or even a lift, it is easy to overshoot the "lift point" and cause the damge NCBlue has. Any damage to a brand new vehicle is horrid! Especially when it is the dealers fault!:banghead:

The second new truck I bought had what looked like a polisher burn on one door. I saw it before I drove it off the lot, so the dealer "fixed" it. Although the paint matched, it was an awful paint job and never looked as good as the rest of the truck. Make sure they do a good job and if it is off even a little, be a thorn in his side or you won't be happy.:brentil:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts