Saturn Sky Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so theres allot of talk of the mx-5 but is it just me or does the old miata look better :lol: seriously the new one has issues, I'm not a big miata fan but I think I'd take the old mazdaspeed vs the new one. (but you all know I'm partial to the sky redline :D )

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sky4christ said:
ok so theres allot of talk of the mx-5 but is it just me or does the old miata look better :lol: seriously the new one has issues, I'm not a big miata fan but I think I'd take the old mazdaspeed vs the new one. (but you all know I'm partial to the sky redline :D )
I agree and I would have considered a mx-5, if the exterior looked better. However, I cannot stand the facial area on the current mx-5. I think that they will need to seriously consider some changes, if they want to compete with the Sol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Choosing between the Solstice or Sky and the Miata is a no-brainer as
far as I'm concerned (and everyone I know who is familiar with the three vehicles). The Miata has fallen on hard times the past 5 years compared
to its glory years (Corvette outsells the Miata, two to three to one in
this country for those years).
Mazda made the mistake of completing a total makeover and ending up with a car that's practically indistinguishable from its predecessor. If they
had simply looked at their sales charts it would have told them that their
customers wanted something different. It is interesting to note that at its premier, when the cover was pulled off the car, not one person in the audience applauded (and they all were ready to do so).It was totally
embarrasing for the Mazda spokeman, who claimed that they didn't want to
alter the looks, for fear of putting off their customers. My neighbor owns a special edition 1999 Miata and had been expecting to buy one of the new models, but doesn't seem so enthusiastic anymore. I think he's afraid he'll
feel like a fool if he buys the new model and then must endure a lot of ribbing for not going for the Solstice or Sky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
kingarthur said:
far as I'm concerned (and everyone I know who is familiar with the three vehicles). The Miata has fallen on hard times the past 5 years compared
Mazda made the mistake of completing a total makeover and ending up with a car that's practically indistinguishable from its predecessor. If they
customers wanted something different. It is interesting to note that at its premier, when the cover was pulled off the car, not one person in the audience applauded (and they all were ready to do so).It was totally
alter the looks, for fear of putting off their customers. My neighbor owns a special edition 1999 Miata and had been expecting to buy one of the new models, but doesn't seem so enthusiastic anymore. I think he's afraid he'll
feel like a fool if he buys the new model and then must endure a lot of ribbing for not going for the Solstice or Sky.
Opposite for me. I've been looking at Solstice for a while but didn't really like its curvy shape. I really love the Sky's sharper lines. It's definitely got a great look going for it and will turn many heads. But, that's not why I want a roadster. I don't like how the top functions and there's no trunk space so it's not very practical for a daily commuter or road trip. Might be fine for a 3rd car to tool around in on weekends. I didn't like Mazda MX-5 at first. Its looks are OK, nothing spectacular but I drove it and love it. What a great car. It's been around a long time and they've done a lot of things right. The MX-5 is the top selling roadster of all time for good reason. Sky wins on looks but I'll be buying the MX-5. Zoom zoom! :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Even if there never was a Sol or Sky, I would never have bought a Miata. They are wayy too bland.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It will be my daily driver but at the same time I do have two other vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
belletire said:
Even if there never was a Sol or Sky, I would never have bought a Miata. They are wayy too bland.

Another opinion based on looks and style. You should drive both. I have. The Mazda wins hands down. But, I also worry about the Sol/Sky reliability. GM hardly accels in that area. I definitely agree that the MX-5's looks are bland compared to Sky -- no argument there -- but thankfully that's not the sole criteria in my decision. If Sky is still around in a few years and highly recommended by Consumer Reports for reliability, I'll be happy to trade in my MX-5 and join the Sky club.

·
Registered
304 Posts
T-Hawk said:
Another opinion based on looks and style. You should drive both. I have. The Mazda wins hands down. But, I also worry about the Sol/Sky reliability. GM hardly accels in that area. I definitely agree that the MX-5's looks are bland compared to Sky -- no argument there -- but thankfully that's not the sole criteria in my decision. If Sky is still around in a few years and highly recommended by Consumer Reports for reliability, I'll be happy to trade in my MX-5 and join the Sky club.
As long as I have a warranty, I'm not concerned. There is nothing about the Miata I like. The Miata would have to have the engine and handling of a new Vette for me to put up with it's blandness.

·
Registered
325 Posts
T-Hawk said:
The GM cars i've had have been awesome, the Mazda 6 was a piece of crap. IMO

FYI, you're not going to get a lot of support here, this is a SKy forum. Most of the members here could care less about the MX5, they were looking for a nice/stable ride rather then tossable, fast and "twitchy" as someone decribed the MX5.
The people that actually like driving on the verge of lateral grip or driving how you drive your MX5 are waiting for the 260 horse Red Line (which I really hope you knew about). For about $3,500 more you get 83 more horses and a tighter suspension. The R/L will hold .9 Gs on the skid pad and run mid 13s in the 1/4 mile for $27-$30K. And it gets better mileage :D .

·
Registered
9 Posts
bradyb said:
FYI, you're not going to get a lot of support here, this is a SKy forum. Most of the members here could care less about the MX5, they were looking for a nice/stable ride rather then tossable, fast and "twitchy" as someone decribed the MX5.
Not looking for support so please don't take offense. I've been going back and forth between the various forums, visiting dealerships, driving test cars, etc. and ultimately have decided to buy MX-5 over Sky. Also considered S2000 and Crossfire for a short while. I like Sky styling a lot but jury is still out for me so I'll try to stay connected and see how things develop. If the future remains bright, I'll be happy to add a Sky to my garage in a couple years.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
T-Hawk said:
Not looking for support so please don't take offense. I've been going back and forth between the various forums, visiting dealerships, driving test cars, etc. and ultimately have decided to buy MX-5 over Sky. Also considered S2000 and Crossfire for a short while. I like Sky styling a lot but jury is still out for me so I'll try to stay connected and see how things develop. If the future remains bright, I'll be happy to add a Sky to my garage in a couple years.
Then here is EXACTLY what you need ---

http://forum.miata.net/

See ya --------------------:leaving:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been driving Mazdas for many years (three in my driveway right now). Obviously I am extremely satisfied with the quality and reliability of the Mazdas. I had decided that my next car would be an RX-8 but my wife had been pushing for the Miata. I told her that the next car was mine and there was no way it would be a Miata....just not what I want (was really disappointed with the "redesign"). I was in the process of talking myself out of the 8 when I got a look at a Sky. I did some research (including following this forum for quite a while) and we went to see the Sky. Needless to say we were very impressed and I put down a deposit. So, while I know I am taking a small risk buying a first year car it is a risk I willingly take. Also, I am not abandoning Mazda. I will still have two in my driveway after I get the Sky. My "bad weather vehicle" is a '93 B2600i with 210,000 miles. I fully expect to see another 200K miles on it before it is retired.

Deposit 1 Jul
Forest Green/Tan
Premium interior
CAI, LSD
Splash Guards

·
Registered
380 Posts
I prefer the Sky

I just sold my 99 Miata. It was a fun, reliable, qiuick, bullet proof roadster, but they are light and a little loose on the twisties. The cheap Mazda interior quality leaves much to be desired. I much prefer my Sky's looks, ride, handling and larger size. I might add that I have the Sky 3 months now, and had not one problem. I love the Sky in every way and would not consider trading for and MX-5, or is it MX-6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember the first time I've seen an MX5. One of the worst looking cars of all time. The other one is PT cruiser. I think the only reason people bought MX 5 is that, there were no other inexpensive roadsters around, well times have changed, there comes the Kappas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
zamazingo said:
I remember the first time I've seen an MX5. One of the worst looking cars of all time. The other one is PT cruiser. I think the only reason people bought MX 5 is that, there were no other inexpensive roadsters around, well times have changed, there comes the Kappas.
Agree wholeheartedly. If we're talking about a beauty contest, Sky wins hands down. The Sky will definitely draw a lot of attention. But, if you're talking about pure driving experience, living with the car on a day-to-day basis, and proven reliability over the years, the MX-5 wins. The MX-5 is the top rated roadster by Car & Driver for good reason.

Don't get me wrong. I really prefer the Sky's looks and style. That's why I belong to this forum as well. Just not ready to make the plunge until Saturn works out the kinks over next couple years. If the Sky holds up well and there's high customer satisfaction from current users, I'll be first in line for the next gen. At this point, it's still way too early to tell how the Kappas will fare over the long run. But, I like what I see and I'm very hopeful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sky4christ said:
As an owner of an NB Miata, I would agree that the 2nd gen is by far the better looking car than the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
kingarthur said:
customers wanted something different.
Really?

Look at their sales figures:

MX-5 Miata (YTD)
June 2005 3,504
June 2006 9,542 up 172%

http://www.miata.net/news/sales.html

It must suck to be up 172%, eh?

It is interesting to note that at its premier, when the cover was pulled off the car, not one person in the audience applauded (and they all were ready to do so).It was totally
Car and Driver's 10Best for the 2006 model year:

The only brand to field two 10Best winners is Mazda. The all-new MX-5 Miata earned Best Roadster honors, while its sibling, the RX-8, was named Best Sports Coupe.

Best Sports Sedan: Acura TSX
Best Sport Compact: Audi A3 2.0T
Best Luxury Sports Sedan: BMW 3-Series
Best Performance Car: Chevrolet Corvette
Best Full-Size Sedan: Chrysler 300
Best Muscle Car: Ford Mustang GT
Best Family Sedan: Honda Accord
Best Roadster: Mazda MX-5
Best Sports Coupe: Mazda RX-8

Best Luxury Sports Car: Porsche Boxster

Source: Car and Driver

Where is the Solstice or Sky on that list? :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
bradyb said:
The GM cars i've had have been awesome, the Mazda 6 was a piece of crap. IMO

The people that actually like driving on the verge of lateral grip or driving how you drive your MX5 are waiting for the 260 horse Red Line (which I really hope you knew about). For about $3,500 more you get 83 more horses and a tighter suspension. The R/L will hold .9 Gs on the skid pad and run mid 13s in the 1/4 mile for $27-$30K. And it gets better mileage :D .

A 3,000 pound car with only 260 crank hosepower isn't going to run mid 13s in the quarter mile. You are dreaming if you think that's going to happen.

A stock '06 Miata also hits .90 on the skidpad. Amazing that an upgraded suspension on a Redline is only the equal of a stock Miata!

A 2006 Miata gets 25 city/30 highway, and a Redline gets 21 city/30 highway.

<information corrected by admin:
  • I am looking at a photocopy of a window sticker of a 2006 MX-5 - it says 24 city/30 highway.
    Notice the Solstice GXP just updated their information to 22/31, and SKY RedLine is supposed to be the same.
  • The 2006 MX-5 has 170 peak hp, the RedLine has 260 hp.
  • The 2006 MX-5 has 14.8 lbs/hp. The Red Line is closer to 11.5.
  • The 2006 MX-5 is mid 15 seconds 1/4 mile. The Red Line is expected to be around 14.0 or a bit less
  • The stock miata uses summer only tires to achieve 0.9g on the skidpad, the stock SKY achieves this with all season tires. One assumes Saturn built in snow capability for the RedLine tire if it only achieves the same lat.
in the interest of accuracy>
So basically, you need to do some reading. :D

<I think stretching the truth is the case here, perhaps you should update your research.>

·
Registered
203 Posts
With two sons, over the years the house has been filled with car magazines and the garage with a few cars we could afford.

I have always been disgusted with car mags that feature automobile comparisons of cars that sell for $70,000 to well over a million, most of them European.

The Miata has always dominated the low end of the roadster market since its introduction and for good reason. Its clean lines, nice performance and low price kept it a good value. Yet it is Spartan and even with its redesign, too small for me (I am 6' 2" and 190 lbs). My knees wrap AROUND the steering wheel and my line of sight is at the top of the windshield. Simply put, I looked goofy in this toy car.

Corvettes are nice but expensive and, now, every baby boomer who wanted one when young, now have one.

The Solstice is nice, and may have caught my eye. Then I looked across the dance floor and saw my lady. The Sky Red Line has everything I am looking for.

It is that simple.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HiredGun said:
The Miata has always dominated the low end of the roadster market since its introduction and for good reason. Its clean lines, nice performance and low price kept it a good value. Yet it is Spartan and even with its redesign, too small for me (I am 6' 2" and 190 lbs). My knees wrap AROUND the steering wheel and my line of sight is at the top of the windshield. Simply put, I looked goofy in this toy car.

Corvettes are nice but expensive and, now, every baby boomer who wanted one when young, now have one.

The Solstice is nice, and may have caught my eye. Then I looked across the dance floor and saw my lady. The Sky Red Line has everything I am looking for.

It is that simple.

You had better look again, as the Miata has more legroom than the Sky.

http://www.automotive.com/2007/12/saturn/sky/compare/index.html

It also has a trunk that can fit a set of golf clubs, and a top that can be raised at a stoplight with one hand, unlike the poorly designed Sky top and trunk.

It makes you wonder what those 500 extra pounds were used for....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.