Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been eight weeks and 1647 miles that I have enjoyed. I know some are still waiting for theirs and I wanted to post a review. Just so you know I have black on black standard with leather interior and the Monsoon audio system.

Firstly, what brought me to the Sky was the look of the car. I loved the way this car looked and I still love it. It is beautiful and I get tons of comments on it. I've been accosted at restaurants, gas stations, supermarkets, even had one Rastafarian guy pull me over to talk about it. This car turns heads.

The cab is very comfortable with well made, slightly low seats. The interior is nicely put together and has a clean look, with the only exception being the plasticine metallic piece around the stick. This piece scratches easily, and not being true chrome, but plastic, is impossible to polish or buff out. The controls are easy to find and use. The only problem I had, and probably my largest issue with the car, is that the gauges can be extremely difficult to read when it's bright outside since they're set so deep in the dash in shadows and have reflective, tilted-up plates in front of them. I would also like to mention that I've accidentally turned on my windshield wipers in this car more than any other I've ever had. I think that the wiper wand might need to be placed slightly higher on the steering column. I also still have trouble locating the hood release, although I will probably only ever use it for display purposes. It is down at the edge of the finished interior, so everything feels like it might be the release.

The top is easy to put down despite the many things most people say to the contrary. With two people, it can be done in 5 seconds flat. Things to note about putting the top up and down are all in the handy dandy placard supplied to you upon purchase. It even has pictures.

Cargo space is noticeably absent in this car. We all know that prior to purchase, but leaving it out of a review would be stripping the leopard of its spots. I do wish that the trunk was large enough for a single piece of carry-on luggage. There is enough room for this; it's just not the right shape. If you have a passenger, you have no cup holders of note. The one behind your elbow gets in the way of driving, but is functional when the car is stationary. The cup holder on the passenger side is actually well-made, and hasn't spilled a single drop of coffee. The storage space in the glove box is insignificant and can't even hold the car's operator's guide or a handicapped placard. The storage bin between the seats isn't much better. Between the two, you have enough room for your shades, some suntan lotion, your iPod, and a few other necessities. The storage behind the seats is really nothing but a pocket. It will work for storing maps, but if the seat isn't already forward, you will have a bear of a time getting to it when the car is in motion. I highly recommend that you store nothing there that might become necessary during the course of driving. Having the seat forward also causes a small pocket of air to get trapped behind it, making the center of the seat push outwards when you drive with the top down, so I don't recommend having them forward if you can help it.

Operationally, the vehicle is wonderful. I will warn some people that this is not a finesse car. If you like light vehicles, like my wife's Mini Cooper, then this car is not for you. This is a heavy car that you must control, not coerce. Acceleration and deceleration feel more like arm wrestling than thumb wars. The car's ability to handle corners is beyond what I expected. I would prefer not to give specifics as an officer of the law might read this, but let's just say that I've taken turns pretty fast without sliding an inch. The car responds very well at low speeds and amazingly well at high speeds.

You'll be surprised when you first drive with the top up how small your blind spot actually is. On most convertibles, your blind spot is your biggest enemy. In the Sky, turn your head and the window, being so close to you, gives a much better view than most non-convertibles. The controls are all nicely placed and easy to become accustomed to.

A couple random things on my wish list for this car are that I'd like to see the digital readout display speed. This is the most common piece of information you're looking for when you look at the gauges. I'd also like to see an iPod adapter made that fits the cigarette adapter, is held rigidly, and plugs into the auxiliary input without excessive cord slack.

All-in-all, I love my Sky with a passion. The downside of this car is the gas-guzzling, the low cargo room, and minor issues here and there that aren't worthy of note in a summary. The upside is that this car draws attention, it is fun to drive, and it handles extremely well. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a roadster.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just rolled over the 1000 mile plateau on the way to work this morning. I agree with almost everything you have to say.

The wind noise with the top up is less than on my wife's Toyota Solara Convertable. While it is noticable, it is certainly not bad.

If someone has accessed the pocket behind the driver's seat while driving the car, I want to meet them. I'd say it's impossible, but i'm sure there are a few midget contortionists who could pull it off.

No leaks, clunks, or any other problems with my Sky. I have noticed a slight skew on the trunk when it is closed with top down. The passenger side of the trunk lid is lifted up slightly higher than flush while the drivers side is just below flush. I will have the tech look at it when I take her for her first oil change to synthetic at 1500 miles.

It's a great car and worth every minute of the wait. :thumbs:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd also like to see an iPod adapter made that fits the cigarette adapter, is held rigidly, and plugs into the auxiliary input without excessive cord slack.
Try the TransPod Direct by DLO. it is only $50, and you can get it on their website here...http://dlo.com/Products/TPDirect_black_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11601487925752426

It works great for my iPod video (but won't work on a Nano). The only downside is it leaves your iPod exposed to the sun while driving with the top down, but it is rigid, charges the iPod and doesn't have a ton of cord excess.

Great review by the way!

·
Registered
322 Posts
THANKS I was having a real issue today with "pulling the plug" on this..:willy: :willy: :willy: ..the wait is starting to get to me:brentil: . Your review and the PM's I got from a couple of very wise Forumn members has helped me to hold on.....keep the reviews/updats coming. Us still waiting for cars need it!:D :D....DESPERATLY need it:D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I agree except for the gas guzzling. What kind of mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gas-guzzling may simply be my opinion, and I will warn that I drove an SC2 prior and an SL prior to that. I'm currently getting around 18-20 MPG. This is the kind of gas mileage I would expect from an SUV, not a Roadster. Perhaps if it had the power of the Redline, I could accept this kind of gas consumption, but it has neither the power nor the mass to constitute this kind of consumption in my mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS I was having a real issue today with "pulling the plug" on this..:willy: :willy: :willy: ..the wait is starting to get to me:brentil: . Your review and the PM's I got from a couple of very wise Forumn members has helped me to hold on.....keep the reviews/updats coming. Us still waiting for cars need it!:D :D....DESPERATLY need it:D
DO NOT under any circumstances pull the plug on your order. I don't know how long you have to wait, but it is worth it. I've had many cars before this one but this is the only one I've had an attachment to. The others were merely conveyences.

This car is worth the wait!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The gas-guzzling may simply be my opinion, and I will warn that I drove an SC2 prior and an SL prior to that. I'm currently getting around 18-20 MPG. This is the kind of gas mileage I would expect from an SUV, not a Roadster.
It appears a lot of it is how you drive it. There are a number of people getting near 30 mpg highway. It also seems to get better after break-in. My Zx1100 (kawasaki ninja) could get near 40 mpg or near closer to 4 mpg, just depends on how you're driving.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
"The storage space in the glove box is insignificant and can't even hold the car's operator's guide or a handicapped placard."
This one stopped me as it is the place where I store the owners manual, 4 Cd cases (thin ones), sun glasses and usually a set of keys.

A word about gas mileage -- It seems to improve with age. I get 20-22 around town and 30+ on most highway jaunts. I have 3800 miles and have noticed it is begining to level off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
After the first 1000 miles, I'm averaging just a hair under 24 mpg. That has been mostly in town driving, but does include some Interstate travel back and forth to work....(of course I-65 in Bham at 5:00 is stop and go as well)

No complaints here.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea the car is small with no storage but I knew that before I bought mine. I did not get to see the window sticker about the fuel mileage, dealer removed it. I did not even think about asking anybody. I think the fuel mileage should be close to 30 even when new, not my 23 and while being driven easy. My old wore out 89 chevy truck will get 19 and up on every tank. I have talked to 1 C6 vette owner and he says he getting 25-26 no matter how he drives. That car has a 400 hp V8 not the wimpy 177hp 4 cylinder. I did save about 25000.00 on this over the vette, that might pay for the difference in fuel.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The gas-guzzling may simply be my opinion, and I will warn that I drove an SC2 prior and an SL prior to that. I'm currently getting around 18-20 MPG. This is the kind of gas mileage I would expect from an SUV, not a Roadster. Perhaps if it had the power of the Redline, I could accept this kind of gas consumption, but it has neither the power nor the mass to constitute this kind of consumption in my mind.
That does seem a little low. I'm getting between 22 to 25. I forget the exact numbers for regular and 93 octane, but the 93 octane gave me the best milage. Almost enough to make up for the price.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That does seem a little low. I'm getting between 22 to 25. I forget the exact numbers for regular and 93 octane, but the 93 octane gave me the best milage. Almost enough to make up for the price.
Supposedly the car is optimized for 91. 91 is great because at some stations it's the mid grade (for example at the Shell stations around here).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use 93 Octane. I've been told that warmer environments sometimes reduce your fuel efficiency, and since we had 33 days in a row over 100 degrees recently, I suppose I live in what could contitute a 'warm area'.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Supposedly the car is optimized for 91. 91 is great because at some stations it's the mid grade (for example at the Shell stations around here).
I haven't seen any 91 around these parts. 87, 89, 93.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts