Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a torrential rain storm yesterday and it hit while I was on the expressway heading home. Interestingly, it did not leak while the car was driving, but while sitting at home in the driveway, waiting for the rain to subside a bit, it started leaking a few drops a minute over the windshield, just left of center and over the center of the steering wheel.

Other areas they are looking at while they have it...

1. wind noise at rear of windows on both driver and passenger side. I felt around the seals while driving and couldn't detect any air leaks, but it's noisy from somewhere ... perhaps just turbulance from outside when the slipstream hits the edge of the top behind the window. Not bad tooling around town, but fairly loud at expressway speeds.

2. When Up-shifting to 3rd, there's a little "catch", "snag", "resistance", "something" different than going into any other gear. Feels like a little "kick" just before it slides in. Don't notice it when down-shifting to 3rd... only going up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The noise to the back left and right may be normal....as all of our SKY's have the "buttress" flapping in the wind. Not sure how much louder your SKY is, compared to the "standard" noise, but that is the ONLY place I hear wind noise.

As far as gears, all of mine make a type of grinding/clunk sound, changing to every gear other than 5th (especially reverse). If it only made the noise from 2nd to 3rd, yep I'd have mine checked also.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sunny Ragtop said:
As far as gears, all of mine make a type of grinding/clunk sound, changing to every gear other than 5th (especially reverse). If it only made the noise from 2nd to 3rd, yep I'd have mine checked also.
I wouldn't characterize what I am talking about as a "grinding/clunk sound."
Not really a sound at all... just when shifting UP to 3rd gear, there's a little [pick one: catch, snag, resistance, nick, or something] that I can FEEL in the shift lever just before it slips into 3rd gear (but only when UP-shifting... not noticeable when DOWN-shifting). It's like the shift linkage is hitting something, but not really interferring with the shifting.

I've had a few "clunks", but only when I shift at too low a speed.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I don't seem to be experiencing any of the above mentioned items. But will be looking for it on the ride home tonight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ggccg said:
I wouldn't characterize what I am talking about as a "grinding/clunk sound."
Not really a sound at all... just when shifting UP to 3rd gear, there's a little [pick one: catch, snag, resistance, nick, or something] that I can FEEL in the shift lever just before it slips into 3rd gear (but only when UP-shifting... not noticeable when DOWN-shifting). It's like the shift linkage is hitting something, but not really interferring with the shifting.

I've had a few "clunks", but only when I shift at too low a speed.
I have the same type of feeling in the shift lever on most of the upshifts, into almost all of the gears. I beleive that what I am feeling is the synchros "working" to match gear speeds. It only happens when I shift quickly from gear to gear at low RPMs. If I shift a little slower, even at low RPMs it won't make the "feel" in the shifter lever. It takes a sec for the synchros to do their job if you will. Just MHO.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
ozyman222 said:
I have the same type of feeling in the shift lever on most of the upshifts, into almost all of the gears. I beleive that what I am feeling is the synchros "working" to match gear speeds. It only happens when I shift quickly from gear to gear at low RPMs. If I shift a little slower, even at low RPMs it won't make the "feel" in the shifter lever. It takes a sec for the synchros to do their job if you will. Just MHO.
I feel what you are saying also if I shift at lower rpms, I just thought it was the nature of this tranny so I shift at a little higher rpm and all is good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My baby is looking at shop time too!

On Friday the windshield was hit by a rock on the highway! Needs a new windshield! I was more than a little upset until my aunt called and said a friend of the family was back in the hospital with complete kidney failure, she is a diabetic who lost a limb last year. I guess that phone call was God reminding me it is a car and that I'm very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got a call from my dealer's Service Department.

They say:

1. Checked door/window seals and found no problems and that the wind noise is normal for the Sky.

2. Checked the 3rd gear concern and said that this also is normal.

3. There is a service bulletin out on leaking roof seals and it will be fixed by morning.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
ggccg 2. When Up-shifting to 3rd said:
When I worked on trannies I used to shift them engine off, parking brake on, Clutch in for first go around. Shift through the gears and then let clutch out and shift slowly feeling for the dogs sticking. After a while you will feel the synchros slide easier, the baulk rings lining up and the dogs holding the synchros in place. After it shifts easily then fire up that engine and see what it does under a load. It might just be the dogs not clicking right....Skip...tant no expert but done his share of mechanican on cars.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
dont know about wind noise around the windows never had the top up yet while driving.......

BLACK ONYX
TAN TOP
TAN/BLACK LEATHER INT
SPOILER BEING PUT ON TOMORROW
AUTO
MONSOON 6 CD
LIMITED SLIP
CHROME WHEELS

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skip said:
Clutch in for first go around. Shift through the gears and then let clutch out and shift slowly feeling for the dogs sticking. After a while you will feel the synchros slide easier, the baulk rings lining up and the dogs holding the synchros in place. After it shifts easily then fire up that engine and see what it does under a load.
Thanks, Skip... will give it a try!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.