Saturn Sky Forum banner

My bumper is crooked

6K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Turk 
#1 ·
We made an appointment today at the dealer to find out why my bumber on the right front has dropped about 1/2 inch. Not only is it off now, but the passenger door has moved inward and the gap does not line up. First thing they said was did you hit anything! Dahhh . . . no damage or scratches that would warrant that question.

Here is a picture. Look at the gaps below the headlights and outside seam as it lines up with the hood.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
OK.......I have really tired to remain on a positive note with posts re: concerns on quality and the SKY....but really now what the **(&**^&^%%^#$@**(^&^%*:brentil: is QC doing?????:willy:

They are killing this car......if the pressure is coming down on the "line" to get the cars out to us...:nono: tell them for me to take an extra few minutes AND GET IT RIGHT!:mad: Honest that bumper is pure is BS. Damn that makes me mad as hell and I sure as hell know its not making your day any better either.

#9 ·
ctyankee said:
I'm actually getting a little worried. Between this and the visors on the wrong side, it makes me think of the GM of the '70's.
I was thinking about the visors, and realized that it may have happened when they were fixing my leaky roof. I don't know if they would've had some sort of reason to take them off when they replaced the molding. When it getes fixed on Tuesday (was supposed to be yesterday, but my ride bagged me) I'm going to ask them. Until then, don't stress it. It could've been a simple mistake by a tech who's used to seeing mirrors on the passenger side.

#10 ·
Turk said:
We made an appointment today at the dealer to find out why my bumber on the right front has dropped about 1/2 inch. Not only is it off now, but the passenger door has moved inward and the gap does not line up. First thing they said was did you hit anything! Dahhh . . . no damage or scratches that would warrant that question.

Here is a picture. Look at the gaps below the headlights and outside seam as it lines up with the hood.
I would say that it is more of a hood alinement than a bumper alinement...Skip....:lol:

#11 ·
I just cannot look my gift Sky in the grill. I haven't been able to part with it to repaint a little tiny dot, I cannot imagine if I found a major issue! My car loves me and would have emotional trauma if I left it alone at the dealer over night.

#12 ·
I called Saturn customer service to notify them of the problem. They were great and assured me that they would help if the dealer did not get it right. They looked up the dealer and said that they are qualified to do "body" work on the sky.

The other issues it's going in for are for the passenger door not fitting right. Also the "tape" issue under the car behind the front wheels. Tape is coming off. (other Sky's have this problem also.) We also have the problem with the convertable top. A brace keeps popping out of it's ball joint on the drivers side. Causes the top to collapes on that side. The last item is that the engine literally shutters between downshifts. The rpm drops below 400 and the engine shakes. Is happening all the time now and especially while the air conditioning is on.

I guess I'm not really complaining (yet) as all should be covered under warranty. Customer support has given me a little peace of mind. I'll let you all know what happens next week.

#14 ·
Yes, but what do they do for Sky Roadsters that are upset about leaving their mamas? :lol: :lol: Forgive me. I hope your issues get resolved! I need to find that tire rubbing thread so I know what I am looking for

#15 ·
Bumper crooked

I just checked my bumper and the front bumper has a good 1/2 inch drop on one side. I also noticed that my steerig wheel (center plastic) is offset. One big gap on the right and no gap on the left (by the silver buttons). My pass mirror would not work, and when the tecnician went to remove the door, the center door panel insert popped out of its retainers. I expected the little things, but a front bumper being so off surprised me. I love my sky, and get alot of attention!! I have seen one accident already because some guy was looking back at my car while driving, then slammed into someone. I have had about a half dozen close calls. Also went to a car show yesterday, being the only saturn there, I turned tons of heads!!!

#16 ·
hope everything works out. just think it has a gangsta lean :jester:

#17 ·
Just dropped off my Sky tonight and the dealer was very nice about everything. We noticed the last few days the engine studder went away. Could have been something in the fuel. Dealer said they would check it out for us. The dealer agreed the "blocks" in the convertable top are a joke and liked the fix using needle and thread that I brought up from one of our forum members. They want to see the finished product when I'm done.

#18 ·
Skip said:
I would say that it is more of a hood alinement than a bumper alinement...Skip....:lol:
Hard to tell from the picture, but the gap under the headlight also seems different. You sure it hasn't been "body slammed"? Wow, I've got to go out and look at "blubaby" now.

#19 ·
Turk said:

Bottom of my passenger side door slid outward away from the body. Bottom 2 bolts on the door were a little loose. I loosened realined and tightened them. This could be you door problem.

#21 ·
marklynn70 said:
Bottom of my passenger side door slid outward away from the body. Bottom 2 bolts on the door were a little loose. I loosened realined and tightened them. This could be you door problem.
That's exactly what I think it is. The door does not line up with the body on top (too far in) and stickes out at the bottom.

My expectations are not that this is a $100,000 car, but that for $26,000 the body should be relatively close. The bumper is not even close. Dealer agrees now that it is not right. Let's see what happens.

#22 ·
CUINOZ said:
OK.......I have really tired to remain on a positive note with posts re: concerns on quality and the SKY....but really now what the **(&**^&^%%^#$@**(^&^%*:brentil: is QC doing?????:willy:

They are killing this car......if the pressure is coming down on the "line" to get the cars out to us...:nono: tell them for me to take an extra few minutes AND GET IT RIGHT!:mad: Honest that bumper is pure is BS. Damn that makes me mad as hell and I sure as hell know its not making your day any better either.
I have to tell you I am getting nervous as well. We have a Redline at 3300 and I am going to look it over thoroughly before taking possession based on all of this. So many issues keep coming up. We sold a Mazda speed version of the Miata MX 5 that we loved to buy this car and are starting to wonder if we will be sorry.

#23 ·
Turk said:
That's exactly what I think it is. The door does not line up with the body on top (too far in) and stickes out at the bottom.

My expectations are not that this is a $100,000 car, but that for $26,000 the body should be relatively close. The bumper is not even close. Dealer agrees now that it is not right. Let's see what happens.
Sorry I wrote that post in a hurry last night I should also mention that I inspected all the remaining bolts and found the top 2 on the driver's side door were a half turn loose as well. It sounds like everyone should give them a check with a 10mm wrench or socket. The closing of the door over time allowed the door to work itself out of allignment. My passenger side door worked it's way outward away from the body and caused it to rub the front fender yes causing paint damage that now has to be repaired. :thumbs:

#24 ·
<<<<<< Final Report >>>>>>

Picked up our Sky today and all is well. They took the inside front wheelwells off to get at the bumper bolts and realigned the front bumper - looks great. The dealor also adjusted the passenger door and it is perfect now. The tape on the bottom is tape used to protect the body from shipping that they have not taken off any of their delivered cars - they will as each come in from now on. They ordered a part for my convertable top and repace the joint that seems to be made too large for the ball. The studder we experienced went away the day we dropped it off. They were not able to get it to do it either. I informed them of a thread I read here about the computer compensating for the lack of power to drive the air and the power steering (a turn while downshifting is when ours happens) They said they would check with Saturn and let me know if there is a fix.

That's it! She's home in the garage.

#25 ·
glad everything worked out and the dealer took care of you :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.