Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't gotten myself one of those invisible bras yet but I'm certainly considering it after my latest run through the country. What's the general consensus about bug removal without scratching up the paint? I'm thinking of soaking them in some 'quick detailer' then wiping them away with this far far too expensive microfiber cloth I have but the wiping part scares me...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bonus pictures!

I should have set up the car better as it looks like a tree started growing out of it in one of the pics but what are you going to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I use a scratchless scrub pad, the kind that has a sponge covered by a nylon netting, works great, doesn't scratch!!! I use a little windex to loosen and the ICE Detailer Spray to finish off, works for me!!! Now those bugs that hit the intercooler at the hypothetical 145 mph, that another story!!! Worse for them then hitting a windshield, kinda like going thru a paper shredder I reckon'!!:lol: :lol: Ernest, wondering off topic again:cheers:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the "Buffalo Bug-Melt™", from here

http://www.buffalomilke.com/

removes the bugs real easy.

I also use the other products and I like them all.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
I got this tip from a Harley rider friend. He suggested using, in addition to the normal wash-and-wax, Turtle Wax in the pump spray bottle. He keeps a bottle in his touring box with some of the blue shop-towels-on-a-roll. Whenever he stops, he sprays the front of his fairings with the wax, and wipes it off with the towel. I have been doing it, and it works great for me. The bugs come off very easily when they are "fresh" and the extra wax makes the next batch even easier to remove. Just a couple of minutes, at the right time, saves a lot of work later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JRinKY that's probably exactly what the Meguiers Quick Detailer is (except cheaper) I think I'm going to have to start carrying something like that around with me; I don't know where it'll fit in the car though :lol:

I ended up using some windex then some quick detailer to take the bugs off. It worked pretty well. There are some bugs that met their untimely end inside the grille by the intercooler. I don't know how I'll ever get them out. Time to learn how to pull that grille I guess.

I'll have to look into the BuffaloMilke stuff. Most of the bug and tar removers I've used end up leaving a nasty film behind. It might be time for some 'professional' detailer stuff.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
I'm having a little trouble deciding where to fit it, myself. I don't want to lay it down, for fear of leaks. By the way, my friend's Harley has more luggage capacity than the Sky.

·
Registered
692 Posts
microfiber towel and Mothers auto detailer. :thumbs:

·
Registered
171 Posts
This might be worth a try. Wet a couple of soft towels with warm water. Drape the towels over the bug-infested area to rehydrate the pieces parts....let it stew for a few minutes. THEN remove the wet towels and wash the car before the bug pieces dry out again. Should be much easier to get the bugs off. This is a trick my husband uses on our motorcycle windshields that scratch VERY easy. Works on polycarbonate bugs - I assume it would work on paint bugs too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts