Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back, and part of the process of improving the breathing was to install the GM CAI to get more air in... When combined with the new exhaust - WOW!

The most amazing thing about the new breathing is that if I punch the gas with the clutch in, I can hear the intake audibly sucking in large amounts of air. It's AMAZING.

So I was driving home tonight and idling at a light listening to the new sound of the car. And a Honda S2000 pulls up next to me with a snobby-looking blonde in it. She glances over at my SKY, then looks away when she notices that I am looking at her. Still being fascinated with the new sound of the car, I punch the gas a couple of times to hear that sucking sound... "whooshvrooOOOOOMmmmmmm, whooshvrrroooooOOOOOOOOOMMMMMmmmmm ..."

She looks over at me again to see if it's my little car making that awesome sound, and so I just smiled at her. Then - picture this - she throws her head back and visibly sniffs! And she drove away with her nose up in the air looking extra-snooty. It cracked me up!

Anyway, here's the pics of the new CAI. And, before you say anything, yes - I know it has an extra bend in it that the KappaSphere doesn't have... But this one came with a Saturn Sticker! Wow! How cool is THAT? The fact that the GM is CARB compliant whereas the KappaSphere is not had nothing to do with my choice. I was hooked once I knew I got a free sticker with the GM.

Before and After pictures below...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
jdigiant said:
I just got my car back, and part of the process of improving the breathing was to install the GM CAI to get more air in... When combined with the new exhaust - WOW!

The most amazing thing about the new breathing is that if I punch the gas with the clutch in, I can hear the intake audibly sucking in large amounts of air. It's AMAZING.

So I was driving home tonight and idling at a light listening to the new sound of the car. And a Honda S2000 pulls up next to me with a snobby-looking blonde in it. She glances over at my SKY, then looks away when she notices that I am looking at her. Still being fascinated with the new sound of the car, I punch the gas a couple of times to hear that sucking sound... "whooshvrooOOOOOMmmmmmm, whooshvrrroooooOOOOOOOOOMMMMMmmmmm ..."

She looks over at me again to see if it's my little car making that awesome sound, and so I just smiled at her. Then - picture this - she throws her head back and visibly sniffs! And she drove away with her nose up in the air looking extra-snooty. It cracked me up!

Anyway, here's the pics of the new CAI. And, before you say anything, yes - I know it has an extra bend in it that the KappaSphere doesn't have... But this one came with a Saturn Sticker! Wow! How cool is THAT? The fact that the GM is CARB compliant whereas the KappaSphere is not had nothing to do with my choice. I was hooked once I knew I got a free sticker with the GM.

Before and After pictures below...
A Sticker!!! That makes the GM CAI a no Brainer! :thumbs: The Sticker not only makes it look :cool: It also acts like a Breath Right Nasal Strip to make sure it gets more air flow!
:bs: :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Cost of new exhaust

What did the new exhaust system cost?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Borla Chat site

Just had a chat with a Borla rep. They didn't know of any product for the Sky. In fact they didn't know of the any project to fit the Sky. I think it'll be awhile before anything exhaust system comes to the market. It's too bad they don't look at the interest generated in this forum.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RedSky07 said:
Just had a chat with a Borla rep. They didn't know of any product for the Sky. In fact they didn't know of the any project to fit the Sky. I think it'll be awhile before anything exhaust system comes to the market. It's too bad they don't look at the interest generated in this forum.
The folks at the HQ have to engineer a solution and come up with the jigs and stuff to produce it. Then they have to come up with a cost, and get the info in the catalog before the reps would know anything about it. So if you go to your local parts guy and he says, "Nope. Not in the catalog..." maybe a call to the folks at the HQ would be in order to get dates and prices.

As for me, I'm not a rep, but even I don't have dates and prices. They have to still be working on that. All that I know is that I have the product, and I love it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
jdigiant said:
The folks at the HQ have to engineer a solution and come up with the jigs and stuff to produce it. Then they have to come up with a cost, and get the info in the catalog before the reps would know anything about it. So if you go to your local parts guy and he says, "Nope. Not in the catalog..." maybe a call to the folks at the HQ would be in order to get dates and prices.

As for me, I'm not a rep, but even I don't have dates and prices. They have to still be working on that. All that I know is that I have the product, and I love it!
Thanks! I'll look for a # for HQ I can call.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RedSky07 said:
Hi Guys!!

Sorry I haven't been available for the last few weeks. I am back in my office and ready to assist. Please let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks,

David Borla

·
Registered
453 Posts
Snooty Blonde

[

:lol: Ha, ha, not to worry, that snooty blonde cried all the way home thinking of what she COULD have been driving instead. Love the head thrown back image, happens all the time!! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
This may sound silly but does buying a non-GM CAI ie: kappa void any warranties. Especially if u do the install ur self?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
migg750 said:
This may sound silly but does buying a non-GM CAI ie: kappa void any warranties. Especially if u do the install ur self?
It would only void a warranty related to the installation itself or damage caused by the add-on. For example, if you drop a screw down the throttle body and much up your engine, then that was a problem caused by the install and not covered under warranty. If you have the CAI installed improperly and it chafes against the inside of your hood, no warranty repair for the hood since it was a problem that was a result of installing a third-party component.

Also note that installing a non-GM CAI can cause problems in getting your car smog certified (in California, for instance.) KappaSphere is working on getting a CARB certification for their CAI, but they don't have it yet.

Other than that, if you have a non-GM CAI and go in for other warranty repair - like a roof leak or a tire rub - then obviously you will have no problems as the CAI had nothing to do with those other warranty issues.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok so as long as its not something directly related to my install. ie: bent crank or cylinder misfires due to computer I should be good. But if my mod somehow causes the damage or my instal did then that part that it damaged is not covered.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What about the CAI on the RL version? My dealer didn't know if it would be an option on the Turbo. Any ideas?

Should I expect the same performance increase?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Parthanon said:
What about the CAI on the RL version? My dealer didn't know if it would be an option on the Turbo. Any ideas?

Should I expect the same performance increase?
I think it's too soon to answer the question if it will be an option, as we don't know what the intake on the RL is going to be. It could be a totally different throttle body (or likely at least to be a different placement of the throttle body making the fixed bends of the stock CAI inappropriate.)

As for performance, my "gut" tells me that if you have a turbo power-blowing air OUT then it also has to power-suck air IN - and as a result the efficiency of the air filter is likely to be less of a factor than in normal-breathing applicaitons. I bet the turbo draw will overcome any filter inefficiencies. So even if there is a power gain on a CAI I would expect it to be less significant percentage-wise in turbo applications.

·
Registered
115 Posts
david borla said:
Hi Guys!!

Sorry I haven't been available for the last few weeks. I am back in my office and ready to assist. Please let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks,

David Borla
If you are THE Borla owner, I have some questions...
- Are making a kit with a replacement for the rear lower black plastic piece having the two cut-outs for the two exhaust pipes?
- When will this be available?
- How much? (guess-timate is okay)
- what is the performance gain in HP, acceleration, MPG?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
david borla said:
Hi Guys!!

Thanks,

David Borla
Well, after "googling" David Borla, it would appear that we have THE David Borla on board. So ........

When will you have cat back systems for the Sky/Solstice and the Redline/GPX cars? I am up for a Sky Redline cat back system as soon as you have it!! I have the 18.5lbs SSR rims and Hoosiers lined up at Tire Rack. Now, I just need to see the car:willy:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
snaponbob said:
Well, after "googling" David Borla, it would appear that we have THE David Borla on board. So ........

When will you have cat back systems for the Sky/Solstice and the Redline/GPX cars? I am up for a Sky Redline cat back system as soon as you have it!! I have the 18.5lbs SSR rims and Hoosiers lined up at Tire Rack. Now, I just need to see the car:willy:
Yeah, trust me. It is indeed THE David Borla. It was his initial post that led me to volunteer my car so that they could engineer a solution for your car! :thumbs:

As for the Red Line solution, David knows where he can borrow a Red Line if he wants one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts