Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a car show today, and I unveiled a new mod to my SKY that was really sweet. I did this myself, and used a technique that was horrible - but I am pleased with the results...

I popped off the hood liner (about 15 fasteners you can remove with your fingers) and then painted the recessed SKY logo with a fine brush and some Testors Enamel (Chrysler Engine Red.) It took - I kid you not - maybe 30 coats to get it right. The material is some sort of padded, super-absorbent fiber thingy, and the paint kept getting sucked up over and over and over and over. Each time the ring of pigment around the edges got a little thicker, and I swear, it took about 30 coats and it still didn't have uniform coverage... But at least I had pigment there, and it was very, very cool.

When I get my Red Line I'll do it again, but I gotta find some way to seal those pores first so I don't end up doing 30 coats! When it was all done, I sprayed it with Dullcote to remove the gloss. How did it turn out? Judge for yourself...

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like you have too much time on your hands bro! :lol:

·
Registered
540 Posts
looks factory. I love it !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
REDSKY said:
Looks like you have too much time on your hands bro! :lol:
On the contrary! You have to love somebody who loves a car this much! I love the detailing and I love the effort even more.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
That looks really nice. I was going to do the same mod on mine when I get it only in yellow to match the car. Let me know how well it hold up after a good rain.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
jdigiant said:
When I get my Red Line I'll do it again, but I gotta find some way to seal those pores first so I don't end up doing 30 coats! When it was all done, I sprayed it with Dullcote to remove the gloss. .

How about spraying the area first with some type of clear acrylic. That might seal the area.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think it looks great!!! I thought about the same thing the day after I Bianca came into my life. Was looking for a product that would go on easy and withstand the heat from the engine. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I also will airbrush her name in script right above the SKY logo:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RMFNSKY said:
How about spraying the area first with some type of clear acrylic. That might seal the area.
Yeah, thought of that. I eliminated those details for brevity. (See people? I can do that sometimes... my long posts would just not make you think so...)

After about ten coats of red (we're talking a thick enamel here, like a runny elmers consistency...) I decided to spray the whole area with Dullcote - a clear spray enamel. It was on so thick as to be pooling in the recessed area. Then I could watch it just be wicked into the material. next coat of red would indicate that the spray enamel was just about equivalent to another coat of red in terms of seal.

Next time I may try to spread a thin epoxy on the material to make a watertight seal before I paint. Enamels aren't doing the trick at all.

And as for rain (as some other poster asked) these are waterproof enamels, not acrylics, so water has no effect. And I know that they are not just "on the surface." The paint is deep, deep, deep after all those coats. I almost expected to see it oozing out of the exhaust it's so doggone deep.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RMFNSKY said:
I was also thinking about doing this little mod to the engine covering.

I thought about painting the whole cover but I like this idea better

Thoughts?
That looks really sharp! But you gotta be sure to get a paint that will stick to that flexy-plastic stuff. A concern that I had when covering up the stickers on the visors... Don't know what you could mask and apply to that small area and have it bond permanently...

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's pretty sharp. I'd like to see a nice chromed and inlaid logo though. It would have two studs on the back and you'd just run it through the insulator blanket and pin it from underneath.
Somebody patent this and let me buy the first one!!:thumbs:
Imaged 6/23
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
StarlightSky said:
...just run it through the insulator blanket and pin it from underneath.
And be very, VERY sure that the "pins" don't mar the paint under the blanket allowing rust to form, or worse yet - press against the underside of the hood making little bumps there...

You are braver than I. That would scare the bejeebers out of me. Some paint was scary enough!

·
Registered
56 Posts
jdigiant said:
I went to a car show today, and I unveiled a new mod to my SKY that was really sweet. I did this myself, and used a technique that was horrible - but I am pleased with the results...

I popped off the hood liner (about 15 fasteners you can remove with your fingers) and then painted the recessed SKY logo with a fine brush and some Testors Enamel (Chrysler Engine Red.) It took - I kid you not - maybe 30 coats to get it right. The material is some sort of padded, super-absorbent fiber thingy, and the paint kept getting sucked up over and over and over and over. Each time the ring of pigment around the edges got a little thicker, and I swear, it took about 30 coats and it still didn't have uniform coverage... But at least I had pigment there, and it was very, very cool.

When I get my Red Line I'll do it again, but I gotta find some way to seal those pores first so I don't end up doing 30 coats! When it was all done, I sprayed it with Dullcote to remove the gloss. How did it turn out? Judge for yourself...

Way cool. Can't wait to get mine to do the same

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I like it! My only question is how will that paint hold up to the heat? Will the paint burn?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
rick112 said:
I like it! My only question is how will that paint hold up to the heat? Will the paint burn?

HotSky said:
My concerns too.
Just use a high temp paint when doing it, if you should decide to do it yourself. :thumbs:

·
Registered
47 Posts
:) I like it... I will probably do the same.. maybe a redline logo for me

·
Registered
453 Posts
Awesome!!

jdigiant said:

Looks Great!!
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Fabric?

Would there be a way to attach a piece of fabric or leather? If someone made the logo out of leather you could then sticth it in - which could later be removed, replaced, changed if necessary with little to no damage to the stock material.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts