Saturn Sky Forum banner

My New 2.4 Cat Back Exhaust Pics

6K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
this is for viewing my Sky's new 2.4 Cat Back Exhaust installed today.
Sounds Great,Will improve performance too. :thumbs:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
My Reply

this description is from Borla, found at car-stuff catalog.com,it's for a 2007 Saturn Sky and should apply to a 2008 Saturn Sky as well.
I posted the pictures to show what it looks like on my 2.4,and for those that can't read my poor description of what the exhaust looks like.
who says,besides you that I bought the wrong one? this cat back exhaust sounds great too!
I bought the correct exhaust for my car,2.4 Have somebody read to you the underlined part,that is where I got the idea of increased performance.
I didn't ask anybody at this forum when I bought my car either.how about that! probably got that wrong too.
and even I
(poor speller that I am) know it's not spelled "u" it's spelled you.
butter
"BORLA CAT-BACK EXHAUST SYSTEM -- 2.5 Inlet And Outlet Diameter, 6.69 x 3 x 5.63" Single Rectangle Rolled Angle-Cut Tip, Rear Exit, Made From Aircraft-Quality, 100% T-304 Austenitic And Sound-Absorbing Mandrel-Bent Stainless Steel That Maintains Low Decibels And Protects Against Burnout, Dyno-Proven To Yield An Increase Of 7-15% In Horsepower While Providing better Fuel Economy, Insulated To Reduce Shell Temperature For A Cooler Driver's Compartment, Increases Flow And Power, Features A Patented Uninterrupted-Flow Design And Multi-Core Technology, With Longer Spike For Scavenging To Generate Maximum Power, With Manufacturer's Million-Mile Warranty"

#8 · (Edited)
And what would that reason be?
Because you thought that would be what they want? Or maybe they wanted to spend at least another $225.76 for a different rear valance(with two openings) and about the same amount difference in price for a single 2.4 Vrs dual for the turbo.I asked at the dealer.
to have the dual quads. I would expect it would be more expensive than the single(only one side W/dual tips).
what are dual quads? your words.

#10 ·
"butter" you did fine. Like all of us, you bought a Kappa car! Welcome to the club!! :thumbs:

Some will drive it stock and not change one thing .. that is fine .. it is their car. Other's will change small things and other's ... won't stop with the exhaust or intercooler .. they keep going and even toss out the motor. :eek:
These guys are real car 'mod' folks .. they are not bashers but enjoy educating and sharing their knowledge. They respond to our naive questions, choices and statements with respect. :cool:

Some members however, feel the need to come back on the forum and tell the rest of us we are wrong .. and that we have choosen the wrong Kappa vehicle, model, color car, antenna size or exhaust style? They actually feel they are doing us a favor to share their preferences as if it is the only smart intelligent one. Much has to do with their style of delivery! If they explained why they prefered something ... instead of being condescending .. we actual might learn something and possibly even agree. :cheers:

Exhaust choices come down to mainly what style, sound and what other mods you have (or plan to get) to increase the power level ... and of course, what you can afford. As an example .. exhaust tone will be different with different manufactures (different engineering designs) and even varies with different model exhaust they sell. Therefore, for most members it is a sound prefence, cost factor and appearance pleasing decision. :)

Bottom line ... you are paying for that car ... enjoy it and I hope to meet you on some future cruise! :cheers:

#14 · (Edited)
and YES it will increase performance because its a catback exhaust
I DON'T THINK SO! all the exhausts r catbacks...the exhaust that he installed is the same size of the OEM...the 2 outlets r the same size of the OEM. The air flow is the same. Even adding the dual outlets to a 2.4 is a bleep on the richter scale...and just for the hell of it...remember when u bought your car, it stated 177 HP...now it is 172...it is so easy to make numbers with the same engine.

#16 ·
Why are you on his case???? Just wondering? :confused: Just becasue you might not like it, there is no need to be rude. :nono: Are you bored or something. :banghead: hugs. Luv ya T.

Butter it looks great!!!! Just love the new look too. Very nice. Thanks for posting a picture too. Hugs T.

#15 ·
Aftermarket exhaust offerings do offer some performance improvement, but I'd consider them for the look and sound. They're less restrictive than OEM, which is more of a factor if you're looking for subsequent F/I mods. IIRC the dual costs a touch of performance increase. Overall from what we've dynoed to date, typically one can expect a 2-4 whp increase on a 2.4, although some exhausts such as RPi's GT system added nice chunk of torque.

#18 · (Edited)
the muffler tips r for appearance only...forget performance. The dual tips just balance the rear end. I have one of those universal mufflers...a camaro with dual outlets..but as u realize magnaflow and borla came out with the catbacks after months of the SKY being out there...i had to piece meal ...but even with the dual outlets, there is no real performance gain...performance comes from the engine and the driver.

Attachments

#19 ·
the muffler tips r for appearance only...forget performance. The dual tips just balance the rear end. I have one of those universal mufflers...a camaro with dual outlets..but as u realize magnaflow and borla came out with the catbacks after months of the SKY being out there...i had to piece meal mine...but even with the dual outlets, there is no real performance gain...performance comes from the engine and the driver.
Hey sweetheart...:D What is your opinion on my rear? :D It performace very well, thanK you. :lol: T.

#29 ·
My opinion on exhaust systems in general.

I appreciate "The Look" of the RL dual exhaust, but can't see spending good money to swap bumpers and exhaust to get that look.

As far as any type of "performance" exhaust system is concerned, we enjoying cruising around so we appreciate as little noise as possible. It is hard enough to hear the music as it is. More noise would nix any benefit in horse power.

Regarding a single exhaust with dual round tips versus the stock rectangular tip. I think the dual round tips look nicer.

#30 ·
Putting the OE RL exhaust on the NA adds just a little sound, and I find that just about right, but clearly we all have different opinions about "right". It also results in a little "back-talk" when decelerating. Take-offs were plentiful and cheap (ie: free) in the early days, and you could replace the fascia (not the bumper cover) or just cut out the opening, so the cost was low.

Glenn likely has take-offs available now, if he hasn't scrapped them.

I would like to find smething that does for the RL what the RL exhaust did for the NA, but so far nothing sounds "right" and they are all too loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.