Saturn Sky Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I changed plugs and used cleaner on the MAF sensor as well. Got it all put back together last night after also replacing the pcv valve and drove a little. Still a little smoke at idle, so going to use a deposit cleaner in the oil today, then put in fresh oil. When I had the intake off, the valves had a lot of crap in them.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I changed plugs and used cleaner on the MAF sensor as well. Got it all put back together last night after also replacing the pcv valve and drove a little. Still a little smoke at idle, so going to use a deposit cleaner in the oil today, then put in fresh oil. When I had the intake off, the valves had a lot of crap in them.
Valve "crap" is inherent to the DI operation of the engine, since there is no fuel flowing over the valves to clean them. Walnut blasting with a special vacuum rig is the only real solution to fouled valves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update...cylinder #1 wall is scarred pretty good and is the likely cause for a decent amount of oil blow by. Compression was 110 when I first tested and now it's right about 90. Decided to get a new long block from ZZ Performance and have a local shop do the swap. I replaced the engine in my 1970 Ford F250 this past spring, but already got rid of the engine stand and cherry picker. Plus, this looks a lot more complicated than 50 year old technology.

Ordered engine last week and it just arrived yesterday. Appreciated all of the help and suggestions from the group.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Replacing an engine in a car just purchased would be quite a downer for me. It's kind-of like what happened to me buying our Sky. Our surprise was an odometer roll-back of roughly 105,000 miles and lots of restoration effort time and money on my part, hence the name for our Sky, Money Pit. But I got it done (including correcting the roll-back) SEEN HERE and got past the rough start in our relationship. At least it turned out well and we are enjoying the car during the driving season.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Replacing an engine in a car just purchased would be quite a downer for me. It's kind-of like what happened to me buying our Sky. Our surprise was an odometer roll-back of roughly 105,000 miles and lots of restoration effort time and money on my part, hence the name for our Sky, Money Pit. But I got it done (including correcting the roll-back) SEEN HERE and got past the rough start in our relationship. At least it turned out well and we are enjoying the car during the driving season.
Wow, that's quite a rollback. Sounds like you're enjoying it now though. We're still checking to see if the dealer we bought it from might pitch in a little on the new engine. I suspect a cracker piston or ring is trashing the cylinder wall.

I'm prepared to just move on and get it fixed if not. Car seems to be well maintained besides the engine issue.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts