Saturn Sky Forum banner

My Pro/Con list

4K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  spamelaj 
#1 ·
My Pro/Con list might not presented as well as SC2's, but I did want to post my list. I don't sugar coat anything, and have high expectations. I manage an office of 15 by trade, and my motto is "perfection is expected, however excellence is tollerated". Well, here it goes

Pros.

1) Great bang for the buck
2) The car is beautiful. It has caused some rubber necking delays during the morning commute.
3) Handles and corners very well
4) Fit and finish of the interior was done very well on my Sky, but I am not a fan of the dashboard plastic material used.
5) Driving the car is fun and enjoyable. The 5 speed manual is easy to use.
6) HVAC system is great. Controls are nice, also.
7) I like the radio and its setup. XM is a great feature too.
8) Dealer sales and service have been very kind to me.
9) I like the driver's info computer and how it operates.

Cons.

1) Of course, had the famous tire rub on rear axle.
2) Fit and finish on the exterior is not great. Fenders and doors to not meet "flush" and are not aligned.
3) I am noticing that some of the stitching on the leather driver's seat is coming loose. I may have to find the end and pull it tight. The seats do need more padding also.
4) Cup Holders are more of a pain in the rear than anything, they are in the way and open when you don't want them to (via your elbow)
5) Driver side window switches are too far back on the door and are not easy to reach. They are not at your fingertip if you have your arm resting on the door ledge.
6) The weather stripping on the trunk is defective and is going to be replaced, part on order.
7) Cannot read radio display when top is down and it the light shines in.
8) There are blind spots. Hard to look up at a traffic light if you are in the shotgun position. Also, the rear view mirror is huge (due to onstar) and can obscure your view.
9) Car does sit very low, and can easly be damaged if you are not careful.

See less See more
#2 ·
I want to thank the folks who are giving such frank assessments of the cars. I do have to laugh at comments like it sits too low!:lol: This is a sports car, and they are low by nature. I don't drive my Vette that often, it is 35 years young and needs a restoration - my next big project, but I did get use to a low car driving my XJ6. For a big 4 door car, that was low to the ground, with about the same clearance as the Vette and it handled just about as well. I hated to get rid of that car! I am looking forward to my Sky and seeing how the positives so far out weight the negatives, I think it will be a great vehicle!:thumbs:

#3 ·
Thanks for the review! This really helps me know what to expect from my SKY when it gets here. :thumbs:

The only comment I had was about the radio. I had a Jeep Wrangler once and I could never see the radio when the top was off. I thought that was a normal thing with a convertible :confused: Do they make radios that correct that problem?

#4 ·
Hey Stu,

Can you elaborate on defective weather stripping on the trunk? I wonder if mine is as well? I mean it isnt always uniform when it shuts but it has progressively improved as I have opened and closed the trunk (which isn't much since I always leave the top down). Im just wondering what I should consider defective and in need of replacement...

Thanks!

#5 ·
NC Sky said:
Thanks for the review! This really helps me know what to expect from my SKY when it gets here. :thumbs:

The only comment I had was about the radio. I had a Jeep Wrangler once and I could never see the radio when the top was off. I thought that was a normal thing with a convertible :confused: Do they make radios that correct that problem?
Maybe use a different color for the display? Amber/orange is used on the Sky.

#6 ·
1994SC2 said:
Hey Stu,

Can you elaborate on defective weather stripping on the trunk? I wonder if mine is as well? I mean it isnt always uniform when it shuts but it has progressively improved as I have opened and closed the trunk (which isn't much since I always leave the top down). Im just wondering what I should consider defective and in need of replacement...

Thanks!

It does not fit well when closed, it overlaps on the end of the left side. It seems there is some excess material on the end, causing the truck to close on parts of the weatherstripping when it is not supposed to. The dealer took a look at it and ordered a new strip.

#7 ·
TexSon said:
I want to thank the folks who are giving such frank assessments of the cars. I do have to laugh at comments like it sits too low!:lol: This is a sports car, and they are low by nature. I don't drive my Vette that often, it is 35 years young and needs a restoration - my next big project, but I did get use to a low car driving my XJ6. For a big 4 door car, that was low to the ground, with about the same clearance as the Vette and it handled just about as well. I hated to get rid of that car! I am looking forward to my Sky and seeing how the positives so far out weight the negatives, I think it will be a great vehicle!:thumbs:
Let me rephrase...the design could have been better so the front end would not be so prone to minor scrapes. I have to take my driveway at a 90 degree angle to avoid bottoming out.

#8 ·
Stu's Sky said:
It does not fit well when closed, it overlaps on the end of the left side. It seems there is some excess material on the end, causing the truck to close on parts of the weatherstripping when it is not supposed to. The dealer took a look at it and ordered a new strip.
How does it compare to this? (See attached pic)

This is after a normal "slam" closing of my trunk.

Attachments

#9 ·
1994SC2 said:

Yikes, yours is worse than mine. Have your dealer order you a new strip. Mine did. You are very forgiving, I would not tolerate that nor the airbag cover.:nono:

#11 · (Edited)
I hate to :deadhorse , but these kinds of things should be caught during QC checks at the factory. This is why I voice my concern. I am so happy we all :grouphug: and learn from each other. But, sham on Saturn for rolling these cars out without finding these obvious defects. :nono:

There are some people on this site who will stand behind Saturn 100% no matter what they do. I personally don't care if it is Saturn, Honda, BMW, or Pontiac. The bottom line is if I am going to drop $26K on a car, I want to make sure it was built right. Just like a computer, a T.V., furniture, or any other large purchase. Being the first 1,000 to roll out is no excuse.

If you buy a new laptop and the laptop fails, but you were one of the 1st 1,000 customers to buy this new model...are you going to be upset because you just lost your information on your hard drive? Or, are you going to relax and say "well, I was one of the 1st 1,000 people to buy this new laptop, so it is acceptable.":willy: I have to believe Dell and other computer companies test and test and test and test and then check and check and check and check before a product rolls out.:thumbs:

#12 ·
Stu's Sky said:
I hate to :deadhorse , but these kinds of things should be caught during QC checks at the factory. This is why I voice my concern. I am so happy we all :grouphug: and learn from each other. But, sham on Saturn for rolling these cars out without finding these obvious defects. :nono:

There are some people on this site who will stand behind Saturn 100% no matter what they do. I personally don't care if it is Saturn, Honda, BMW, or Pontiac. The bottom line is if I am going to drop $26K on a car, I want to make sure it was built right. Just like a computer, a T.V., furniture, or any other large purchase. Being the first 1,000 to roll out is no excuse.

If you buy a new laptop and the the laptop fails, but you were one of the 1st 1,000 customers to buy this new model...are you going to be upset because you just lost your information on your hard drive? Or, are you going to relax and say "well, I was one of the 1st 1,000 people to buy this new laptop, so it is acceptable.":willy: I have to believe Dell and other computer companies test and test and test and test and then check and check and check and check before a product rolls out.:thumbs:
Oranges to Apples... If you are one of the first 10,000 to buy a computer they have built 1000's of them already to run, check and ruin. Also fit and finish is not too big as everything can be QC’s long before the guts are even designed. Electronics can be run to death on the test bench. Can't afford to do that with a car.
No matter what you think --- first run cars (I personally don't care if it is Saturn, Honda, BMW, or Pontiac) all have little problems like this.
On one hand the QC people are saying -- "We need to double check and check this and that..." and we (the customer) and the bean counters are saying -- "Get em OUT the door!! We'll deal with the problems when they are sold.”
This (as I have said time and again) is why I never wanted to get a first run car. I have had friends who did and every one of them (name a maker) was in and out of the shop. Mostly odd ball stuff.
Now -- to agree with you... I'd have made a list of things wrong (like the air bag cover) and gone to the dealer and set up a day when I could bring my car in and ALL those problems would go away. SC2 is very forgiving...

#13 ·
I really don't mind the little things that may be wrong with a car, as long as the dealer stands behind it. Anything built by man will have flaws...ever own a ford?:rolleyes: The service and knowing that if it isn't right, they will make it right should factor into the overall opinion of the car. The few cars that roll out with "no flaws" will be the first ones with "dings on the doors and quarter panels".

#14 ·
Hmmm... Maybe a bit too forgiving -- I'll point them out to my dealer.

Given that the weather stripping looks like it can just be reglued better and the probably glue will be used on the airbag panel I don't fear that this is that big of deal to rush back, thats all.

Thanks to you all I know just how glarring these mistakes are though.

#15 ·
This (as I have said time and again) is why I never wanted to get a first run car. I have had friends who did and every one of them (name a maker) was in and out of the shop. Mostly odd ball stuff.

:agree: This will be the first and last time I do it.

(I am done venting). Thanks for listening. :)

#16 ·
My dad always told me "never buy a car in it's intro year". I listened to that advice by not buying an H3, but it didn't look like the sky and has only a half a motor in it. I'm willing to make this potential mistake and accept the headaches with it.

#17 ·
Stu's Sky said:
Yes, thankfully it is just "odd ball" stuff. I hope that is all we come across as these are the things that can be fixed easily and don't hinder the car too much.

#18 ·
SKY SCRPR said:
My dad always told me "never buy a car in it's intro year". I listened to that advice by not buying an H3, but it didn't look like the sky and has only a half a motor in it. I'm willing to make this potential mistake and accept the headaches with it.
Every one told my Husband and I not to get our bright yellow H3 in its intro year, we did and we love it. So I know I will not be sad when I am driving around in my Sky in its intro year, when ever I finally get it that is........LOL

#19 ·
<<<--- WOW! Sorry guys I just can't get enough of that color. Oh yeh SC2, last evening I was leaving my neigborhood for dinner, and 'the man around the corner' was pulling in. I was spastic and honked and pointed. He stopped and I felt like an idiot.

ANYWAY, I just hope my Sky will not have any major problems down the road. This is what is going to save or break saturn and possible GM. The rolling out of new products that look great and are really just, well not that great. But I have faith in it!

#20 ·
skyguy85 said:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1534&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1144942511 <<<--- WOW! Sorry guys I just can't get enough of that color. Oh yeh SC2, last evening I was leaving my neigborhood for dinner, and 'the man around the corner' was pulling in. I was spastic and honked and pointed. He stopped and I felt like an idiot.

ANYWAY, I just hope my Sky will not have any major problems down the road. This is what is going to save or break saturn and possible GM. The rolling out of new products that look great and are really just, well not that great. But I have faith in it!
Haha, nice -- does he know your getting a brother to match his Sol? He'll get it soon enough and then he'll be the one honking and pointing.

#22 ·
1994SC2 said:

The sky I picked up yesterday (vin 529) has one large area on the right side where the trunk weather strip buldges out. The weather strip clamps over the metal edge and I think one of two things cause it to bulge. 1. the metal trunk edge has a defect in it preventing the stripe clamp from going fully on. or..... 2.the weather stripe has some extra rubber lumped up where it shouldn't be and this is preventing the weather strip from mounting properly. This defect is so obvious, QC should have caught it at the factory.

#23 ·
Definately the rubber... its tort in some spots and over-generous in others. I know its just glued in, it just looks like only of those things that the installer was trying to over/under compensate for the full length of the material. I dont even know if I need a new one as much as I need it reglued.

#24 ·
Way2Fast said:
The sky I picked up yesterday (vin 529) has one large area on the right side where the trunk weather strip buldges out. The weather strip clamps over the metal edge and I think one of two things cause it to bulge. 1. the metal trunk edge has a defect in it preventing the stripe clamp from going fully on. or..... 2.the weather stripe has some extra rubber lumped up where it shouldn't be and this is preventing the weather strip from mounting properly. This defect is so obvious, QC should have caught it at the factory.
Same as mine, but the left side.

#25 ·
Delnari said:
If you wanted a perfect sports car, you should have bought a Honda. To have something this unique on the road is worth the small issues (they all can be fixed). First year car is all about style, refinement comes in subsequent years...
Snap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.