Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys - I received a private e-mail suggesting I repost this: it came up in a thread elsewhere, buried way on down the thread. I guess I just didn't realize how lucky I was to even see one. Not much of a ride, I admit, but I got to see, sit in, and really look it over and hear it . . .

------------------------------------------


Unless the weather is bad, I go out cruising in my 'vette on Sunday mornings, early - 8 AM - 9AM. No traffic, few cops (I don't really drive fast but why tempt fate?). I was out one Sunday about 4-6 weeks ago. I always swing by the Autopark - an area the city has zoned for only car dealers, and check out what's new while the dealerships are closed and no salesmen will bother me: the Porsche/Aston Martin lot and in the used classics lots: I've left lists of cars I'm interested in with a few dealers but you never know if they forget, and its fun just to look, etc.

Anyway, driving by the Saturn dealer (which was closed, of course) that Sunday morning, I spotted a big 18 wheeler, the trailier covered with graphics and a 40 foot picture of a Sky, pulled into the lot in front of the showroom. People had unloaded a car and there were maybe 20 folks standing around looking at a shiny, dark blue Sky. Some of them were photographers and they were snapping pictures of it.).

I pulled in and parked. I don't really think these guys wanted company, but the 'vette just about always works with car guys - and these were GM cars guys. We got to talking. A kind of senior guy was opening the hood and explaining things to a bunch of salesmen, prepping them to take orders or whatever, I think. Anyway, I talked up one of the younger guys who was with the transporter from the factory, and showed him and some other guys wearing Sky polo shirts my vette, and talked cars for a while. Then they seemed to be packing up, so I left. But a couple of minutes later I saw the guy I had been talking with driving the Sky down the street and I did a U and followed. He pulled into a BP station and up to a pump. I stopped and asked if there was any chance I could get a ride, or even drive it (offered to let him drive the 'vette and follow me). He laughed, said he could not give rides on the street, no insurance or whatever (probably BS, but he was a nice guy). As he put the gas filler back he opened the passenger door and said: " Get in," and then drove from the pump around to the air compressor to check the tires (you'd think they'd have an air compressor on the transporter truck, wouldn't you? But I think the guy just wanted to be on his own for a while - he was really taking his time). Anyway, afterward I rode in it again back around the BP station to my car. He never got out of first gear. So I got to ride in it at about 10 mph for maybe a total of 100 feet.
------------------------------------------------------------
End of story. Except to say that it was much much prettier than a Solstice and had a really nice exhaust note: I had feared it would sound like a Cobalt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
After reading your story ,I guess that I didn't really appreciate how fortunate I am. At work, I've driven several Sky's and lots of Solstices. They are basically (mechanically) the same car. In my opinion, the Sky looks more unique than the Solstice. I'm looking forward to driving the GXP (Solstice).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. To me, the Sky is quite pretty. The Solstice, on the other hand, looks strange, maybe even a bit ugly, and I expect it is a design that will "age" quickly. I was disappointed the interior of the two cars are so similar, but I guess that is inevitable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I like them both and wish I could buy one of each.The Sky won me over because I like the edgy appearence over the more rounded Solstice. But I could flip between them both:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Lee Willis said:
I agree. To me, the Sky is quite pretty. The Solstice, on the other hand, looks strange, maybe even a bit ugly, and I expect it is a design that will "age" quickly. I was disappointed the interior of the two cars are so similar, but I guess that is inevitable.
:lol:
Just goes to show the blessings of having choices.

I wrote a long post with a preference toward the Solstice (I wouldn't call the Sky 'ugly', but it certainly more 'progressive' or 'edgy' or 'mechanical' where the solstice is more 'classic' or 'curvy' or 'organic').

I have a couple of acquaintences who think both the Sky and Solstice are ugly, and the MX-5 is a gorgeous design.

I think GM may have done the right thing - gotten a platform that is solid, performs well (yes, it has its quirks, but what car doesn't?), and they "book-ended" the styline preferences. The most consistent thing I have encountered is that nobody loves BOTH kappa cars equally. Each design has its merits and its detriments, and managed to pull in two different ends of the roadster preference.

the Z4 is polarizing too, but BMW has no offering on the other end of the spectrum. The NB miata was on the "organic" side, but they really didn't have an "edgy" offering.

I think that Mazda is trying to play both ends with the 2006 MX-5 - there are organic elements and 'edgy' elements (those RX-8 fenders!!! :brentil: ), and I think they lost a bit of their "purity" in the design of the car - the two elements don't yield a design that is as "integrated" as the older miatas.

jus' my$0.02.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
Kappa-man, the price for advice just went from $.02 to the inflated high in U.S. dollars of $.04. This will cover all costs unless the dealerships charge over MSRP. Then of course the Price of $.04 will go up accordingly. Just my four cents worth. :cheers: :cool: Skip....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
KappaMan said:
:lol:
Just goes to show the blessings of having choices.

I wrote a long post with a preference toward the Solstice (I wouldn't call the Sky 'ugly', but it certainly more 'progressive' or 'edgy' or 'mechanical' where the solstice is more 'classic' or 'curvy' or 'organic').

I have a couple of acquaintences who think both the Sky and Solstice are ugly, and the MX-5 is a gorgeous design.

I think GM may have done the right thing - gotten a platform that is solid, performs well (yes, it has its quirks, but what car doesn't?), and they "book-ended" the styline preferences. The most consistent thing I have encountered is that nobody loves BOTH kappa cars equally. Each design has its merits and its detriments, and managed to pull in two different ends of the roadster preference.

the Z4 is polarizing too, but BMW has no offering on the other end of the spectrum. The NB miata was on the "organic" side, but they really didn't have an "edgy" offering.

I think that Mazda is trying to play both ends with the 2006 MX-5 - there are organic elements and 'edgy' elements (those RX-8 fenders!!! :brentil: ), and I think they lost a bit of their "purity" in the design of the car - the two elements don't yield a design that is as "integrated" as the older miatas.

jus' my$0.02.
:agree: you are Completely correct, although I prefer the Sky over the Solstice, I appreciate the Solstices styling also... If there was not going to be a Sky I would already be driving a Solstice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
:agree: you are Completely correct, although I prefer the Sky over the Solstice, I appreciate the Solstices styling also... If there was not going to be a Sky I would already be driving a Solstice...
I'm right with you - The Solstice is a bitchen car, I like the SKY better -- But thanks to GM we have choices!:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Well, when I saw the Solstice (concept) at the NYIAS back in 2002, I knew I'd be getting one if GM decided to make it. Then last January I saw pictures of the Saturn SKY and in my opinion, its design blew the Solstice's shape away (not that I still don't like the Solstice!). The SKY is more my style and I like how the interiors differ. Can't wait to get mine ordered (automatic, so I have to wait a little longer). :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I like the unique front end of the solstice but prefer the Sky in all other aspects. If I couldn't get a Sky I would certainly be looking to get a Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Last year, I was quite happy to place an order or the Solstice but after talking with our local dealer, he said he couldn't get one. So I mover on to the next dealership and then the next after five dealerships. I had enough of, you would be the second on our list but we are only getting one.
I looked at the dodge crossfire the sales person told me about a Sky, need I say more. Love at first site. Had to have one.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top