Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I pull into an alley between a few very tall buildings in downtown San Francisco's Financial district to pick up my wife from work.

Shes not there yet so I park it to the right side of the alley and walk about 30 feet away or so. I've heard others on the forum tell about how they will just stand back on watch the reactions of people walking by so I thought I'd give it a try.

A few people walk by and do double takes or stop and peak inside or do a couple of laps around the car. I'm standing over there having fun watching the show. Nothing to exciting. One of the limo drivers who saw me pull in comes up and asks a couple of questions but then his client comes out so they leave. I'm feeling kinda dissappointed by the lack of enthusiasm of the general public when...

What happened next... crazy!

out of one of the parking garages comes a group of about 10-12 people. apparently, my wife mentioned the new car on the way out from work and everyone decided to come down and take a look. ok, no big deal... a bunch of co-workers coming down to check out the ride but what this group did was attract all the attention of everyone else around.

next thing I know, the security guards are coming out of buildings to look, people walking the sidewalk are coming over to see what the commotion is about, I don't know where they all came from but that alley was completely blocked by people!!!! We're talking 20-30 people!

So I get a little nervous about being 30 feet or so from the car with such a crowd so I mosy on over and keep an eye on things. Some guy asks for me to lift the hood (they figured out I owned it by now cause I was giving people the "touch my car and die" look)
so I pop the hood, then the trunk..(people love that) and take in all the oooos and aaahhhhs.

A few cars are trying to get thru the alley but with all the people, they either backed out of the alley or parked to the side, got out and came to take a look themselves. I can't even explain how fun this was.

I wanted to take a picture of all this but I felt a little wierd pulling out my camera and snapping everyones pic, so I didn't. The most common guess on price was 40-50k. When talking to some stock broker guy I told him what it really cost and his mouth dropped.
He says "GM owns saturn, right?" I tell him yep and he says I gotta go, need to go check on GM stock. I think I might invest in that" :thumbs:

After about 30 mins, I get the dreaded " start it up, lets hear it" request. I absolutely hate it when people ask me to start it. The average person doesn't understand 4cyl cars like we do so they expect the sky to roar to life like a Mustang GT500 or something. They Sky does look like it should roar to life, but as we know, it doesn't.
So I give my usual warning to not expect much from exhaust note and start it. And right on cue, as usual, dissappointed faces but they still love the car!!!! so all is good.

I've changed the planned order of my bolt ons and will be going with the dual exhaust first... so at least it will have a decent sound to it when getting on the gas.

Anyway, that story is long enough. Thought you all might get a kick out of it... I know I did!! I've owned a couple of Classic Mustangs in my time that did have that V8 sound (425+hp) and they never ever drew acrowd like my Sky did yesterday! Amazing experience!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Be prepared. That should be the first of many! Maybe not in the size of the crowd - the largest group I've seen around mine is 10 -12 - but the questions and comments will continue. It's kinda cool.

Keep an eye out for other indications you are driving a unique vehicle:
- jaw drops
- head snaps
- stares
- grins (well those come from inside my car most of the time)
- thumbs up

:D

·
Registered
877 Posts
Cool story, Your 100% right about the exhaust...... That will be one the first things I do.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What is it with the need for loud cars? I have a motorcycle as well and see the people with the loud motorcycles and wonder how the hell they don't have a headache all the time. I don't need a loud car either. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,625 Posts
LOL...cool story! Yea, get used to this. I almost caused an accident on the freeway today when this woman (really cute too...wish I could have gotten her number) was rubbernecking at the Sky and didn't see traffic had stopped in front of her. I saw her panic stop, lock up the brakes and watched the smoke come off her tires as she slid to a stop about 1" away from the car in front of her. LOL

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Robotech said:
LOL...cool story! Yea, get used to this. I almost caused an accident on the freeway today when this woman (really cute too...wish I could have gotten her number) was rubbernecking at the Sky and didn't see traffic had stopped in front of her. I saw her panic stop, lock up the brakes and watched the smoke come off her tires as she slid to a stop about 1" away from the car in front of her. LOL
Ouch! :eek:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SKYtime said:
What is it with the need for loud cars? I have a motorcycle as well and see the people with the loud motorcycles and wonder how the hell they don't have a headache all the time. I don't need a loud car either. :cool:
Theres a difference between the "loud" that you describe and a car that has a deep rumble.

My mustangs weren't loud like a Harley with big chrome pipes flying by you going thru the gears. I had Flowmasters on my 'stangs and what it produced was a very deep growl. It could be loud I guess to some but that's not my intent.

I want it to sound like it has some balls, and what that means to me is a deeper sound. Now true, I won't be able to get that sound without it being louder than what it is now but just to let you know what I mean... I'm not going for "loud" for the sake of just being loud.

If I wanted loud, I would go buy one of those canister mufflers that you see on the kids hondas nowdays, now that is loud!!

now I am aware that I will never even come close to the sound of a V8 with the 4cyl that our skys have but something has to be done.

sound clip-solstice ready to launch with magnaflow single exhaust -
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/sportsound/solsticel.htm

solstice driveby - http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/sportsound/solsticed.htm

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
CONSIDER OURSELVES... SKY CELEBRITIES!!!... sounds like fun... i do love the attention.... everyone looks..... awesome....SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I love Patio Dining...

When parking at lunch, I tend to park in a prominent spot and then dine at an outside table and watch the show. I usually get several waves of crowds gathering, walking around in laps to check out every angle, and nodding in approval.

Guys like it. Women like it. Kids like it.

Hey - have you noticed this (or is this just a SoCal thing?)

Convertible drivers give it a good, long stare. I see a lot of BMWs, Honda S2Ks, Miatas and Mustangs. The BMW folks seem to like it - they stare, then smile (or wave.)

The other three give it a good long stare... Kind of a "What the Hell is THAT?" kind of look. Then, strangely, their face gets drawn out and I see a frown form as they look away...

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it seems to indicate "Crap - I am no longer cool in my sucky car... I shoulda got one of THOSE."

·
Registered
18,521 Posts
aside from getting the hi on the rode...just drive into a gas station and they go wild...i am talking the other cars filling up...aside from the gas attendants....oh yes...new jersey is one of the 2 states that does not permit the driver to pump their own...oregon is the other...just a point of information

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just love hearing these stories! I can't wait to experience them myself!! :willy:

I can imagine we'll be stopped a lot - as I have yet to see a SKY in the area, and have only seen two Solstices...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
USMC I'm turning Green over here. Sounds like fun. I want to go to one of those car meets at the local Wendy's when I get my Sky.

They can frown all they want at the sound of my Sky. I'll driving one and if they want to they'll have to wait 6 months to a year. :lol:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EldoGuy said:
Maybe you can make an few extra $ ... selling tickets :lol:
Funny that you say that, today when leaving the parking lot I use near downtown, the attendant said he's had to chase off about 10 people today for loitering around the cars. I guess its ok to walk thru the lot but not ok to stop and hang out. Apparently, my sky is now a tourist attraction in SF.. :D

I told the attendant to charge 5 bucks a piece to check out the sky. He agreed and asked if he would have to split it with me... LOL.

I told him no, but I better not see one fingerprint on it!

I wonder if he's going to really try to charge?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The SKY Revolution

Great story.
Wait until you go to the Auto parts strore.
The average person who does their own mechanical work really appreciate
this car.
My standard rutine now is pop the hood and trunk, go get what I need
in the store, probally wax, chrome cleaner, invisible glass cleaner etc.
Make my way thru the crowd, answer a dozen questions and leave.
I tell em i've got to get back to the bat cave, hahaha.
They always say hurry back.

:thumbs:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.