Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife put a deposit on a Sky for my birthday last month, and because the Gods were shining on us, we received our Sky in just 10 days. That was four weeks ago, but today, the heavens favored us no more. Today, my passenger-side was crunched when someone backed out of a parking space.

While at lunch immediately afterward, a stranger asked me if this was my car in the parking lot. He said that he was an insurance adjuster and that he recently had a Solstice with similar damage, but because parts were impossible to get, they had to total the car. The adjuster thought it could be even worse with the Sky, because they are so new. Please, someone, tell me that this isn't so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
richm said:
My wife put a deposit on a Sky for my birthday last month, and because the Gods were shining on us, we received our Sky in just 10 days. That was four weeks ago, but today, the heavens favored us no more. Today, my passenger-side was crunched when someone backed out of a parking space.

While at lunch immediately afterward, a stranger asked me if this was my car in the parking lot. He said that he was an insurance adjuster and that he recently had a Solstice with similar damage, but because parts were impossible to get, they had to total the car. The adjuster thought it could be even worse with the Sky, because they are so new. Please, someone, tell me that this isn't so.
ouch, I can only hope for a speedy recovery

·
Registered
410 Posts
Richm, Just saw the pics and I had to set back in my chair and pause for a minute. I am so, so sorry this happen. I can tell you from looking at the side, I don't think it would be totaled out. Parts are available, from what I understand they just pull them on the line in Delaware. It may take some time but it can be done. The door can and will be replaced I'm sure. Contact Saturn Corp. Get names and start the process on Monday. I replaced two wheel wells and a right quarter panel. Don't let them total a 2007 Sky for a door.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
OMG Rich, I just read your post. I cant believe it. Im soooo sorry darling. Keep us posted on the outcome, but I agree that this should not be a total...:mad:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
richm said:

Sorry about the sky. But I can't see an Insurance Company totaling a 26,000.00 car for a few thousand dollare in damage.They would go out of business if they did that. ( But I'm not in that business so I really can't say for sure) It doesn't make sence. The Solstice probably had alot more damage, maybe the frame or something.

But because of the shortage in parts it may take a quite while to get fixed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You did not make it clear, the car that hit you ... was it the insurance adjuster? Or did the person drive away? :mad:

·
Registered
422 Posts
richm said:
While at lunch immediately afterward, a stranger asked me if this was my car in the parking lot. He said that he was an insurance adjuster and that he recently had a Solstice with similar damage, but because parts were impossible to get, they had to total the car.....
Sorry to see that nice car damaged, but IMO it isn't a total at all.
Only the plastic side panel, the door and a little dent in the hood(?).

In Germany we differ between

technical total (much heavier crash, for example centerline gets to a triangle)
commercial total (repairable but costs higher then actual value of the car)

If the insurance company has to pay for a lease car all the time waiting on the spare parts (normal if the car is drivable), it could be cheaper for them to define the car as total, give you the money for a new car, store the car until parts delivered and sell after repairing.
This could be the case with the Pontiac the insurance adjuster told you.

But your car is drivable, will you use it in the waiting time?
Is the passengers door usable any longer?
And in case of a commercial total what should you do with the money, you can't buy a rare car at the next corner the other day.

Hope GM has spare parts enough after seven month of production and your waiting time is short. Keep smiling :) in between. :thumbs:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ouch! :banghead: Those pictures are an eyesore. :eek:

But I agree that looking from the damage, there is no way this can be considered a "total loss". It appears to be only cosmetic damage....hopefully there are extra parts at the factory and the body shop can get it repaired for you quickly.

As for the driver of the other car...what the heck were they doing?! :nono:
My guess it was probably some big truck/SUV (that couldn't see any car lower than a mini-van that's in proximity to them) with a trailer hitch that poked the hole in the fender and dented such a wide area until they finally realized there was actually a car behind them.

Speaking of which, I sure hope you got their insurance information.
Please don't tell me this was a hit-and-run! I would be :brentil: !!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Keep the repairs in Saturns House

Man am I sorry to see those photos. it looks like a front right Quarter panel, new door and paint matching are in order. It's happend twice to me on my favorite car and each time the repairs have been terrific. As advice I'd use the dealership for your repairs, even if they sub-contract their work out to a small body shop. Doing this keeps all your records of the cars history with Saturn and does have value in the long run. Looking forward to seeing her all fixed up soon and sending our best soothing thoughts your way to ease the stress.

Imaged 23/06/06
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thats one of the most painful pictures I have seen. Im sorry to hear that and I hope its only off the road for a short while.

Maybe they want to total it so the insurance adjuster can keep it for themselves -- it might be the fastest way to get a Sky these days.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
richm said:

I am a Snap-On Tools dealer and over the past 19 years I have spent a little time in body shops. :yesnod:

An important question is "Does the open and close, and will the window operate?" It appears that the door is damages and the lower panel of right fender is broken. That fender panel is a piece of plastic that is held on with a few screws. If the door "functions" then you have suffered cosmetic damage. If the impact had been any greater, there would be structural problems with door jam area and B pillar damage (evidence might be broken windshield and stuck door) and THAT would be bad if parts are hard to come by on such a new car. If the door will open and close then a good body shop (they aren't equal either :nono: ) can :smash: :smash: back into shape while a new door is on order. The Solstice was probably smacked a lot harder.

Your insurance adjuster will have the say on your car. Totalling a $25K new car is rare. If it comes to a LONG wait :banghead: for parts, and they OFFER a total settlement, you can negotiate a repair. They only understand dollars. Tell the adjuster (and keep your agent involved) that he has the choice of writing a GREAT BIG check, or authorizing two smaller checks; one for a partial repair to the door, and the second for the replacement door assembly. My guess is that $3500, or so, may be more appealing than a $25000.

If they dig their heels in and want to total the car, tell them that it's a new car and you want a) an exact replacement, and b) a rental while you wait for the replacement. Oh, tell them it couls 3-9 MONTHS to get one. They will :willy: :crazy: when they hear that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
snaponbob said:
I am a Snap-On Tools dealer and over the past 19 years I have spent a little time in body shops. :yesnod:

An important question is "Does the open and close, and will the window operate?" It appears that the door is damages and the lower panel of right fender is broken. That fender panel is a piece of plastic that is held on with a few screws. If the door "functions" then you have suffered cosmetic damage. If the impact had been any greater, there would be structural problems with door jam area and B pillar damage (evidence might be broken windshield and stuck door) and THAT would be bad if parts are hard to come by on such a new car. If the door will open and close then a good body shop (they aren't equal either :nono: ) can :smash: :smash: back into shape while a new door is on order. The Solstice was probably smacked a lot harder.

Your insurance adjuster will have the say on your car. Totalling a $25K new car is rare. If it comes to a LONG wait :banghead: for parts, and they OFFER a total settlement, you can negotiate a repair. They only understand dollars. Tell the adjuster (and keep your agent involved) that he has the choice of writing a GREAT BIG check, or authorizing two smaller checks; one for a partial repair to the door, and the second for the replacement door assembly. My guess is that $3500, or so, may be more appealing than a $25000.

If they dig their heels in and want to total the car, tell them that it's a new car and you want a) an exact replacement, and b) a rental while you wait for the replacement. Oh, tell them it couls 3-9 MONTHS to get one. They will :willy: :crazy: when they hear that.
richm:

This is so very sad.

I'm also curious if you are able to open the door and window. I tend to agree with snaponbob that this would be a big factor.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow, that blows goat...sorry to hear it Rich....hope the Repair Fairy takes care of you in a timely manner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Two comments-one if they total it buy it back and get it repaired, second request that a Saturn dealer do the rapair work if they opt to fix it. My Sky was one of the first to get a cracked front quarter and Saturn pulled it from the supplier already painted. A door is probably painted at Wilimington but maybe they can get priority from the supplier to get the door. Good luck and keep us posted. :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from punched holes in the bottom of the quarter panel when they put it on the lift... Even though the tech bulletin on that had already been released. :banghead:

They ordered replacement parts and expect them in 2-3 weeks...

We'll see...

I agree that the damage looks to be cosmetic, doesn't look like anything mechanical got hit. Hope yours goes smoothly. :thumbs:

·
Registered
653 Posts
A friend of mine got her Solstice in January, and 3 weeks later someone rear-ended her pretty bad. They didn't total the car, but it took about 3-4 weeks to get the parts and get it fixed. For just a crunched door panel, I can't see why they'd total it. Hopefully they should be able to get the replacement parts pretty easily. Good luck!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dude, I feel your pain. Like everyone says. Don't let them total it. Is there a way to hold off on the claim or is there a deadline?

·
Registered
514 Posts
richm said:

Cross your fingers that it gets totaled and then get a Redline in the exact same color :thumbs:

Best advice so far I agree, if its totalled, BUY IT BACK. Always, always, always, buy back limited edition sports cars, you'll make double the cost of the car selling the parts off in my experience with 2nd generation Toyota MR2 Turbos.

I've done worse to my Lexus and an old buddy from school owns his own body shop, he repaired it all for $850, but thats a friend hookup. They will remove the door, unweld the door skin, "roll" it out and repaint it and replace anything cracked beneath.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts