Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok now that I got your attention, not sure if I should say this or if a few people will be fired..... went to the LA auto show last week, and yes they did let me sit in the silver sky. it was exactly like the one I want except the red/black, I want black and black leather. HOWEVER, I have no deposit yet, but they insisted if I put one down, theres only 8 people on the list in an LA dealer, so will I get one?? They want a grand for a deposit. I LOVE THIS CAR TOO MUCH it will break my heart when I don't get one!!!

not sure if I should show the pics or not, since the SKY I sat in was worth $250,000...... hand build yadda yadda...... so.... is it safe for me to post pics, or will they never let me get one!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Speaking about fitting like a glove. I currently fit very comfortably in a 2000 SL1 coming in at 6' 3". You think I'll have a problem with the Sky?

I've tried to find a Solstice but can't find one in Tampa just yet...

Joseph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
If you do get to try a Solstice out for size, there are some hints from the Solstice Forum.
This is from Crimson Avenger

Seat back MUST be returned to full upright before sliding it back...
I spent a fair bit of time at the LA Auto Show on Sunday. What I found most disturbing was this scenario that kept repeating itself:
  1. not so tall person would get in
  2. slide the seat up
  3. then recline it way back using the rotary knob on the side
  4. enter tall person
  5. attempt to slide seat all the way back
  6. seat back hits top of bulkhead
  7. tall person can't fit
  8. tall person gets out disgusted and complaining it's too small
  9. I step forward, and suggest that the seat wasn't all the way back
  10. I turn knob to put seat back to fully upright
  11. I slide seat back 4 or 5 more inches
  12. I say, "Try it now, the seat wasn't all the way back."
  13. Tall person waves me off and says, "It's too small...[grumble, grumble, grumble]."
    and walks away.
After this scene repeated itself about 4 times, I gave up
and decided that it wasn't worth the trouble to try to help, and wandered back over to ogle the yellow GXP spinning slowly on its stand.


Again, folks, the seats in the Solstice have a manual seat back control knob. If it's reclined, the seat won't go back very far at all. The worst part is that the seats are actually very comfortable with the seats in the upright position, and there's usually no need to recline them.


Operational tips:

  • If you get a soft landing as you slide the seat back, and the seat touches the bulkhead at the top of the aero head faring, then you didn't get the seat upright enough.
  • If you do it right, you'll get a resounding, solid, metallic thunk as the seat hits the metal back stops on the guide track. Then, you can reach in with your fingers and spin the knob to recline the seat back to touch the bulkhead.
  • Before moving the seat back, it's also helpful to pull the seat belt out from it's hiding place because when the seat is fully back, the seat release handle on the upper rear edge of the seat will fairly firmly pin the seatbelt fitting to the bulkhead.
As others have noted elsewhere, 32" inseams on 6'2" frames have fit. I have to believe that more tall folks would fit if they knew that the seats had to be in the fully upright (or slightly forward) before they were slid back on their rails.

I truly wish that Pontiac had someone there to assist folks before they tried to get into the car. If the seats were returned to their full upright position, and slid all the way back BEFORE each person tried to sit down, these types of disappointments would probably be avoided.


I hope it is alright to paste a post from the Solstice Forum here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
skyguy85 said:
ok now that I got your attention, not sure if I should say this or if a few people will be fired..... went to the LA auto show last week, and yes they did let me sit in the silver sky. it was exactly like the one I want except the red/black, I want black and black leather. HOWEVER, I have no deposit yet, but they insisted if I put one down, theres only 8 people on the list in an LA dealer, so will I get one?? They want a grand for a deposit. I LOVE THIS CAR TOO MUCH it will break my heart when I don't get one!!!

not sure if I should show the pics or not, since the SKY I sat in was worth $250,000...... hand build yadda yadda...... so.... is it safe for me to post pics, or will they never let me get one!!!!!!
If you took the pics, you can post them... It was a public show, access is not restricted, it's not a GM copyrighted photo nor was it taken on GM property, so you should be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
GRinLR said:
If you do get to try a Solstice out for size, there are some hints from the Solstice Forum.
This is from Crimson Avenger

Seat back MUST be returned to full upright before sliding it back...
I spent a fair bit of time at the LA Auto Show on Sunday. What I found most disturbing was this scenario that kept repeating itself:
  1. not so tall person would get in
  2. slide the seat up
  3. then recline it way back using the rotary knob on the side
  4. enter tall person
  5. attempt to slide seat all the way back
  6. seat back hits top of bulkhead
  7. tall person can't fit
  8. tall person gets out disgusted and complaining it's too small
  9. I step forward, and suggest that the seat wasn't all the way back
  10. I turn knob to put seat back to fully upright
  11. I slide seat back 4 or 5 more inches
  12. I say, "Try it now, the seat wasn't all the way back."
  13. Tall person waves me off and says, "It's too small...[grumble, grumble, grumble]."
    and walks away.
After this scene repeated itself about 4 times, I gave up
and decided that it wasn't worth the trouble to try to help, and wandered back over to ogle the yellow GXP spinning slowly on its stand.


Again, folks, the seats in the Solstice have a manual seat back control knob. If it's reclined, the seat won't go back very far at all. The worst part is that the seats are actually very comfortable with the seats in the upright position, and there's usually no need to recline them.


Operational tips:

  • If you get a soft landing as you slide the seat back, and the seat touches the bulkhead at the top of the aero head faring, then you didn't get the seat upright enough.
  • If you do it right, you'll get a resounding, solid, metallic thunk as the seat hits the metal back stops on the guide track. Then, you can reach in with your fingers and spin the knob to recline the seat back to touch the bulkhead.
  • Before moving the seat back, it's also helpful to pull the seat belt out from it's hiding place because when the seat is fully back, the seat release handle on the upper rear edge of the seat will fairly firmly pin the seatbelt fitting to the bulkhead.
As others have noted elsewhere, 32" inseams on 6'2" frames have fit. I have to believe that more tall folks would fit if they knew that the seats had to be in the fully upright (or slightly forward) before they were slid back on their rails.

I truly wish that Pontiac had someone there to assist folks before they tried to get into the car. If the seats were returned to their full upright position, and slid all the way back BEFORE each person tried to sit down, these types of disappointments would probably be avoided.


I hope it is alright to paste a post from the Solstice Forum here.
Good Grab from "The Other Side" GRinLR, AR! :)

There has been MUCH discussion "over there" regarding "the fit" and if Tall people will follow Crimson's advice it will help greatly!

Hope most of you will accept us Sol owners/Kappa owners - we are really enjoying our cars and wish you the best on yours! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
I'm as avid a reader of the the Solstice forum as I am of this site. Since these cars have so much in common there is a lot of valuable info on the Solstice Forum. Those that have their Solstices are really enjoying their cars. I wish I could afford a Sky and a Solstice...lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
GRinLR said:
If you do get to try a Solstice out for size, there are some hints from the Solstice Forum.
This is from Crimson Avenger

Seat back MUST be returned to full upright before sliding it back...
I spent a fair bit of time at the LA Auto Show on Sunday. What I found most disturbing was this scenario that kept repeating itself:
  1. not so tall person would get in
  2. slide the seat up
  3. then recline it way back using the rotary knob on the side
  4. enter tall person
  5. attempt to slide seat all the way back
  6. seat back hits top of bulkhead
  7. tall person can't fit
  8. tall person gets out disgusted and complaining it's too small
  9. I step forward, and suggest that the seat wasn't all the way back
  10. I turn knob to put seat back to fully upright
  11. I slide seat back 4 or 5 more inches
  12. I say, "Try it now, the seat wasn't all the way back."
  13. Tall person waves me off and says, "It's too small...[grumble, grumble, grumble]."
    and walks away.
After this scene repeated itself about 4 times, I gave up
and decided that it wasn't worth the trouble to try to help, and wandered back over to ogle the yellow GXP spinning slowly on its stand.


Again, folks, the seats in the Solstice have a manual seat back control knob. If it's reclined, the seat won't go back very far at all. The worst part is that the seats are actually very comfortable with the seats in the upright position, and there's usually no need to recline them.


Operational tips:

  • If you get a soft landing as you slide the seat back, and the seat touches the bulkhead at the top of the aero head faring, then you didn't get the seat upright enough.
  • If you do it right, you'll get a resounding, solid, metallic thunk as the seat hits the metal back stops on the guide track. Then, you can reach in with your fingers and spin the knob to recline the seat back to touch the bulkhead.
  • Before moving the seat back, it's also helpful to pull the seat belt out from it's hiding place because when the seat is fully back, the seat release handle on the upper rear edge of the seat will fairly firmly pin the seatbelt fitting to the bulkhead.
As others have noted elsewhere, 32" inseams on 6'2" frames have fit. I have to believe that more tall folks would fit if they knew that the seats had to be in the fully upright (or slightly forward) before they were slid back on their rails.

I truly wish that Pontiac had someone there to assist folks before they tried to get into the car. If the seats were returned to their full upright position, and slid all the way back BEFORE each person tried to sit down, these types of disappointments would probably be avoided.


I hope it is alright to paste a post from the Solstice Forum here.
Additional Operational Tip.

If none of the above works, reach between your legs with both hands, grab your shoulders and yank real hard till you hear a POP! :lol: It usually works for me!

Sorry I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Lets hope it does not fit like OJ's Glove....:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
richmcc said:
If it doesn't fit, you cannot sit.

:leaving:
lol you are correct, (wish I had put that) :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm

who all in LA will have a sky/ or (solstice....) lol we definitly need to have meets and such.... I go to Hyundai Tiburon meets and its very fun!!! I guess I just like cars not everyone has..


EITHER: Sky, if I can get one and by if I mean if not how...

or a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon.... man that car has some power and a 6 speed and it looks ok too...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
647 Posts
West Coast Kappa Car Club: Second meet Feb 17/19

skyguy85 said:
who all in LA will have a sky/ or (solstice....) lol we definitely need to have meets and such.... I go to Hyundai Tiburon meets and its very fun!!!
Funny you should mention this... I'm actually on the Interim Board of Directors for the West Coast Kappa Car Club.

Notice club the name. We're not just a Solstice club, and you don't have to own a Kappa to be a member. Point is, we're really hoping some of you folks from the Sky side of the world will join us, and join as members.

We're having our second meeting President's Day weekend (2006-02-17/2006-02-19). This next meeting is our "Constitutional Convention" of sorts...

We've got some of the details posted over on the Solstice Forum at: Solstice Forum Pacific Region

The exact threads are:Our previous event in November has some discussion at the following threads:Here's a direct link to the minutes: link to: West Coast Kappa Car Club interim web site

Again, all of us in the West Coast Kappa Car Club extend a warm welcome to all Sky enthusiasts.

If it's OK, I'll post on the Sky forum links to more details as they become available.

Drive on! :cool:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
647 Posts
Crimson Alert!

GRinLR said:
If you do get to try a Solstice out for size, there are some hints from the Solstice Forum.
This is from Crimson Avenger
Crimson Avenger said:
Seat back MUST be returned to full upright before sliding it back...
I hope it is alright to paste a post from the Solstice Forum here.
I'm glad you found the post helpful, or at least a tolerable length to usefulness ratio. ;)

To more directly answer your question, I'm quite flattered you posted my lengthly missive, and appreciate the attribution.

Thanks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top