Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every time I go into the trunk of my Sky (from the side, of course!) I end up getting dirty knees on my pants. Now I'm a pretty tall guy at six-foot-one (and YES, I do fit into the Sky just fine) but it seems my knees are right at the top of the tire or something... I look down during the day and see dark smudges on my pants. It's happened every day so far.

It's a brand new car with the "make the tires look all black and shiny" stuff on it straight from the dealer, so maybe it will tone down somewhat...

Do I just have particularly prominent knees at the wrong height, or do others have this problem too?

(and, just for the record, the spots on my knees from getting down and thanking God for the joy of this car are slightly lower and don't have tread marks on them.)

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is the pants or skin touching the tires...I've ruined about 3 pairs of pants in the same fashion....Put a towel on top of the tire before you do stuff in the trunk...that is what I do now!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This is much more of a problem if you use "wet tire" products... avoid all contact with such tires at all costs. I find that once you become more aware of the tires when reaching in to the trunk you will start standing further back naturally.

See this post for a pic of what can happen if you dont: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3694

·
Registered
337 Posts
All Normal

Hey man...this is all normal....and it seems to be an ongoing thing for Sky owners...When you add the fact that people are using "Tire Wet" products it only gets worse.

Personally I have several show cars and I use the Wet products on them as well...The same things happen to me when I finish prepping my car for a show...I look down at my jeans and say...."O $HIT NOT AGAIN!":mad:

It just comes with the territory...These products do their job but they are Silicone based and can not only make a mess of your pants but make a mess of your car. If you dont wipe the excess of the Tire Wet off your tires when you get the car moving for the first time this product will make a mess around the area of your outer wheel wells.

The fenders behind the tires front and back will have black splatter all over the paint...When I get to a show I have to wipe the excess Silicone off the paint around the outer wheel wells every single time. It's not a big deal but it just proves these products are messy.

Even when the Tire Wet is finally off your tires Dust and Dirt will get on the tires getting your legs dirty anyway if you are pressing up against them.

You don't want dust and dirt on your wheels anyway...

If you want my opinion this is what I have been doing lately...:rolleyes:

I found a product that cleans the tires and doesnt really leave any crap on it and you only have to use it once a week depending on how often you drive your Sky.:)

The product is called:

WHITEWALL/BLACKWALL TIRE CLEANER BY:
WESTLEY'S BLECHE-WITE

You just spray it on and then wipe it off...it keeps your tires looking clean without leaving the Silicone mess those Tire Wet products leave....the best thing about this product....it's the cheapest one out there and it works...go figure that. It doesn't leave your tires looking wet... but it leaves then looking a little glossy and clean.

If I can explain this the best way I can...
Tire Wet makes your Tires look like they have been cleaned on purpose...Bleche-Wite just makes your tires look like they haven't been dirty or look new. It may be sutle but it works for me and many of my buddies.

If you do choose to get this product at your local AUTOZONE etc. please read the instruction...this product is for TIRES only...not rims.

Hope that hepled Bro!:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.