Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here and installed! Installation was a snap. The factory screws came out easily. The instructions caution you not to overtighten the new screws. If you do, it will be hard to get the shield in.

Kappasphere did a really, really nice job with this. I like companies that pay attention to details, and those new bobbins are a nice detail. I have not had my wife or daughter in it yet for the ultimate test of hair blowing, but I will later today and post an update.

Oh, it really looks cool too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
:thumbs: Pictures after the wife and daughter provide approval rating?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Dealer

I heard that my local dealer ordered a Sky Shield and will be installing in on thier Demo car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
jarcher said:
It's here and installed! Installation was a snap. The factory screws came out easily. The instructions caution you not to overtighten the new screws. If you do, it will be hard to get the shield in.

Kappasphere did a really, really nice job with this. I like companies that pay attention to details, and those new bobbins are a nice detail. I have not had my wife or daughter in it yet for the ultimate test of hair blowing, but I will later today and post an update.

Oh, it really looks cool too!
I'm sold!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, there is good news and bad. The bad news is that the day the sky shield arrived, both the wife and daughter got their hair cut! The good news is that it's not cut real short, so I can still do a report.

I have had both of them in the sky with the shield off and on. There is a nice reduction in hair blowing, maybe 40% to 50%. My wife much prefers it in place, my daughter (11 years old) spent most of the time with her hands on her head so as not to ruin her new hair! Haha, she eventually lightened up and decided that the shield helps.

Personally, I prefer no shield. I like the breeze and do notice a change with the shield in place. So, when it's just me, no shield. When I have one of them with me, shield will go in.

As for how easily it goes in and out, I have found that I really need to install and/or remove it from both sides of the car. Pushing it in from one side does not get both sides in, so I have to go back and fourth until it's fully seated.

Removing it means lifting one side carefully, then going to the other side to lift that end out. The shield will bend and probably break if I try to pull it out from one side alone. It may be that my stick on rubber pieces still need to break in, or it may be that I am ultra careful, but for now it looks like I need to go to both ends for installation or removal.

The case it comes in is very nice! Its padded and there is a velcro flap. You have to be careful not to pull the part of the flap without the velcro or it migh rip, but it really is a nice pouch for the shield.

When not in use, the shield fits very easily in the trunk.

One last thing to mention is that with the shield in place, you can see it's top line clearly in your rear view mirror. I don't find it distracting, but I did want to mention it in case someone else might.

I would buy it again!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wind Blockers

I think that the design of the wind screen I got off Ebay is great! It really helps to block the wind when I get on the freeway. The wind screen I have not only works great but it looks totally awesome! It lights up red and has a laser etched SKY emblem on it. I have been to a few local car shows and my SKY has really been the center of attention. Has any one else got one of these? I thought when I ordered it that I would have to remove it when I put the top up but I have never had to do that it stays on 24/7!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
One last thing to mention is that with the shield in place, you can see it's top line clearly in your rear view mirror. I don't find it distracting, but I did want to mention it in case someone else might.
I swear by the SKY Shield. Excellent product from an excellent company. I've had mine for well over a month now, and really, really like it. I would go no other way.

A couple of notes gleaned from extended driving...

Most of you know the story of the Saturn Ghost that reflects off the rear waterfall into the mirror. Well, with the SKY shield I also get a reflection of my hand on the shifter knob reflected in the SKY shield and then reflected in the rear view mirror. So I can watch myself change gears, know what brand car I am driving, as well as check out the hot - er - seat covers - in the car behind me all at the same time.

Also, the SKY shield does vibrate a bit (like you would expect it to do when battling hurricane force winds) and this can reflect highlights off the dashboard squiggly-wiggly on the glossy surface - particularly at night.

These are mentioned as "interesting effects" and certainly not as "problems." I love my SKY Shield, and would not trade it for the world.

Well, I actually I would trade if for the entire world, because then I would also have the plant that made the SKY shield so I could have them promo me another one. But I woulndn't trade it for a Solstice. How's that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts