Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to go drop off my Sky at my dealer in Northern Virginia and for once didn't see the customers on the lot get excited to actually see a Sky.

Miffed, I parked the car and walked in to the dealer showroom and immediately found out why. As if I had just had a great shell game occur before me I saw my exact model sitting in the showroom, every option was the same, the only thing that would stand out in a highlights magazine spot the difference would be the VIN and the lack of a stubby antenna.

There were several customers sitting in and looking over the twin Graphite sky. I walked over to the windshield and read the vin 627 (or something) and then checked the wheel wells for any rubbing.

A salesperson (not mine) came over asked if I would like to trade in my Sky for the one sitting on the floor before me. After some conversation I found out the dealer bought the Sky so that the many people who came by eager to see a Sky in person wouldn’t be disappointed. It was used, purchased from a buyer from Woodbridge who after 1400 miles was forced to sell at his wife’s request (one too many non-practical cars apparently).

So then the next question, what was the cost of this used twin Sky... $35,000.

Now, the reasoning for the high price (other than the fact its not subject to Saturn’s request to sell at MSRP) was because they DON'T want to sell it, but they are now thinking of raising it even higher because they have had many people seriously consider it.

So, interestingly enough, I saw my second production Sky in person, and it was the same car... only it cost about 7k more.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Now, the reasoning for the high price (other than the fact its not subject to Saturn’s request to sell at MSRP) was because they DON'T want to sell it, but they are now thinking of raising it even higher because they have had many people seriously consider it.
It is a used car -- they can sell it for what ever price they can get. MSRP is only for new cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a used car -- they can sell it for what ever price they can get. MSRP is only for new cars.
They can sell a new car for whatever they can get for it as well..MSRP doesnt mean a think to some dealers with a hot car....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
They can sell a new car for whatever they can get for it as well..MSRP doesnt mean a think to some dealers with a hot car....
Well that's true too but the implication was that they should stay with the MSRP that they do with teh new SKY... There is no guidline at all for used.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would think a high resell price on a used one is good news for all of us. No depreciation like with regular cars. I have noticed the ones for sale on eBay keeping getting relisted since no one is willing to pay the "Buy it now" price with is hovering around $30,000.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, which is why the salesperson told me they didn't feel bad selling at a high markup as it was used. Just to let everyone know though, this dealer charges MSRP for all their new Skys and doesn't require add-ons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts