Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...off the line that is. :lol: :jester:

After putting on 2,400 miles in 5 weeks on our Sky, she asked me politely to fill her tank and wash her car tonight. So I grabbed her keys and took her 2006 Chili Pepper Red AWD V6 Vue out to the gas station (3 months old with 2,100 miles...ironic? :rolleyes: ).

HOLY CRAP:willy: :willy:

I forgot about her car's get-up-and-go (3.5L 250HP Honda engine in the Vue)!:eek:

I love our Sky and enjoy its quickness and handling, but to know she can be blown away by her "big brother" at any time...that's a tough one to handle for me tonight!

I'm sure I am not the only one with this observation (Ernest's wife's Aura probably could do the same to Serenity...but not Mayhem)....so my big question when you realize so many other cars are quicker:

1 - do you accept the status of a "crusing roadster" or
2 - do you accept the fact that the base entry is "base" and performance is reserved solely for the RL (which I have ordered) or
3 - do you question why GM did not drop a bigger or more powerful engine into the base or
4 - modify it to find more power or
5 - ...who cares, it's just a car.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Roadie Rob;118784 2006 Chili Pepper Red AWD V6 Vue [/quote said:
Well, my wife has a 2006 Blue AWD V6 Vue and I know just what you're saying. :)

I think I knew what I was getting into, though. I wanted a cruiser, not a racer. I'm happy. Still wish I coud smoke her, though. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
My wife beats me too..

:yesnod: I hadn't driven my wife's '07 RX 350 SUV in over a week.. When we all piled in to go off to church yesterday, I forgot how much more power the RX has.. I guess after driving the base Sky all week, I had grown accustomed to applying a little more throttle upon take-off.. So, after regaining my composure and having my passengers readjust their seat belts from having been jettisoned about within the cabin, I humbly apologized, and simply said, "My bad.. I forgot.." :lol:

I'm fine with the base car being a "cruising roadster" (option 1) This Sky rocks and is fun to drive, so I'm cool with it. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
How about "None of the above" ?

My Sky is not a "cruising roadster". It will turn circles inside most cars on the road, and that is why I bought it. Well, that and the way it looks.

My Sky is not a drag racer. Don't want one, don't need one. If all you understand when you discuss performance is straight line acceleration, we do not speak the same language.

Follow me out one of my favorite roads, and back, in one of your SUV's, and you'll know what the Sky is built for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My philosophy is that the faster I go, the less people will get to see one of the coolest cars on the road. I realize that there are other cars on the road that can take me at the light. I smile at them and refuse to gun it. I'll let them think my sky has so much bite that they aren't worth my time. By the way, they stare at my car while I don't give theirs a second look. Bottom line: This car handles and looks awesome and I don't need any more horses under my hood to be happy.
P.S. I will never test drive the red-line or my philosophy may get flushed down the toilet.

Pulpem

·
Registered
153 Posts
Picked the R/L just because its got enough extra power to make getting up these hills where I live a little more exciting... also for the occasional "left lane" driving that just puts a big smile on your face. Got two other vehicles that will blow it away (off the line)... both have Harley Davidson on the tanks. Got a Ford F250 with 460 CI that has enough power to pull anything that I can hook to it. Guess I just like having that "extra" oomph...:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Follow me out one of my favorite roads, and back, in one of your SUV's, and you'll know what the Sky is built for.
Amen brother......

HoldHard

·
Registered
692 Posts
5 the one that's fit for me. If I need the "Get up an go" I'll get in the Mustang GT and blow the socks off the little roadsters in the world. You know what my side view mirrors have printed on them: "Items in rearview mirror are getting their A**es kicked":lol:

Granted, it ain't no roadster but for horse power fixes and getting laid back in the seat my little pony struts her stuff. Back to the original line, it's a roadster and should be fun, AND my Sky little Blue Streak is a Blast!!!:thumbs: Drive on, baby Drive on!

·
Registered
194 Posts
5 the one that's fit for me. If I need the "Get up an go" I'll get in the Mustang GT and blow the socks off the little roadsters in the world. You know what my side view mirrors have printed on them: "Items in rearview mirror are getting their A**es kicked":lol:

Granted, it ain't no roadster but for horse power fixes and getting laid back in the seat my little pony struts her stuff. Back to the original line, it's a roadster and should be fun, AND my Sky little Blue Streak is a Blast!!!:thumbs: Drive on, baby Drive on!
:agree: :agree:

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts
Like some have said the Sky is more of a handling car than a speed car...hence why I have one of each.

I have my Grand Prix (Finally back together) that, with a horrible setup on it, will turn 13.1 in the quarter at 102 mph (and at a DA of 4500 feet for those who know what that means) and will be in the mid 12s in a couple weeks once I get a couple bugs worked out of it.

Now the Sky can't even come close to that but put that little blue devil of mine on some twisty mountain road and the Grand Prix will be WAY behind.

Two totally different cars...They are both fun to drive but for VERY different reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
How about "None of the above" ?

I live in a mountain range, (Southern Rockies), and I own an '04 VUE, V-6 AWD. It will handle just as good on those "Twisties" as my SKY. I dearly LOVE them both. :cheers:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey Rob I saw the title and

I thought this was something else. Lol You said she was fast but---. See ya in Lake G on the 28th she can try and beat me--------in my Redline. LOL see you guys Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
SKY #2041 : I live in a mountain range, (Southern Rockies), and I own an '04 VUE, V-6 AWD. It will handle just as good on those "Twisties" as my SKY. I dearly LOVE them both.
You're kidding, right ? Vue skid pad ratings are in the 0.7's, the Sky is 0.9. I know that skid pads don't correlate perfectly to real-world driving, but they are a pretty reasonable indicator. The Vue weighs 300 lb more, has a higher center of gravity, and has less tire than the Sky. How can it possibly handle as well ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great driver and cruiser but no racer. :cheers: Love the handling and it gets lots of looks.

Hope to take her out to colorado in the spring for a week long vacation.:D

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
3window35 : Great driver and cruiser but no racer.
I think that depends on what you consider to be racing. Solstices dominated the SCCA Solo Nationals in Topeka last month.

·
Super Moderator
6,626 Posts
My point is that a sports car has never been judged by its ability to drag race. Sports cars are about going around corners.

In my opinion, calling any SUV "damn near a sports car" is pretty offensive to the concept of sports car.

Regarding the comment about not being a racer, after the first day of qualifying at the SCCA National Runoffs, Sols are 1 & 2 in SSB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts