Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have taken a picture.

Yesterday, a high of 80 degrees and sunny, we drove 2.5 hours out to Galena, IL. My wife wanted to drive a while, so after much messing around with mirrors and the seat, we were off. She did great. She has not driven a stick shift since 2006 and she picked it up like riding a bike. She has Multiple Sclerosis, fortunately a mild case by any standard. She never killed the engine and her initial launch was graceful as was the rest of her chauffering. She enjoyed driving the car though admitting, she'd rather be the passenger so she can enjoy the fall colors better. After a while I drove again and we kept it so.

I told her, "Now just take the car out anytime you want to. You are officially a certified Sky Driver". I think she also enjoys the attention the car draws.

PS: I am glad I added the power driver seat lift feature. My wife needed that adjustment. She's 5'-1", a shorty.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I should have taken a picture.

Yesterday, a high of 80 degrees and sunny, we drove 2.5 hours out to Galena, IL. My wife wanted to drive a while, so after much messing around with mirrors and the seat, we were off. She did great. She has not driven a stick shift since 2006 and she picked it up like riding a bike. She has Multiple Sclerosis, fortunately a mild case by any standard. She never killed the engine and her initial launch was graceful as was the rest of her chauffering. She enjoyed driving the car though admitting, she'd rather be the passenger so she can enjoy the fall colors better. After a while I drove again and we kept it so.

I told her, "Now just take the car out anytime you want to. You are officially a certified Sky Driver". I think she also enjoys the attention the car draws.

PS: I am glad I added the power driver seat lift feature. My wife needed that adjustment. She's 5'-1", a shorty.
Well done! When we bought our Sky, we got an automatic so my wife could drive it. I’m still waiting for that day....😎

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Too bad they didn't include the seat preset capability (I think the Caddys had it). Just designate a button as the 'wife' mode and when you hit it the seat conforms itself to her (once you take the time to do the set up and save the setting of course).

Do try not to do that while you are sitting in it. We had one guy on the BMW forums (the presets come stock on many of them) who mistakenly hit the 'wife' button while he was sitting in the car, which ran the seat forward so that he could no longer reach the buttons. Trapped/eaten by his own car!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, I call that "memory seats". It would have been an awesome feature in the Sky.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Less is more.
I understand about adding more and more features until the car is priced out of market. But there are a few things that would have been exceptional additions to the Sky and Solstice, in my case having two drivers of different heights. Adjusting the back rest alone is quite difficult. Add in everything else, and it's a serious process.

The Memory-Seat feature in the 1997-2004 Corvette introduced 10 years prior to the Kappa, accommodates 3 different drivers. When using your specific FOB or hitting your associated memory button in the door, the car changes driver seat height, seat base angle, back rest angle, seat position, the steering wheel in/out and up/down, both outside mirrors, and also preset radio stations. I can't recall if it also remembers your preferred cabin temperature. That is a lot of intelligent adjusting. The seat and mirrors alone would have addressed the worst of the inconvenience for the Kappa.

I understand that memory seats holds little value to a single person who is a sole driver, so I can see why many here wouldn't care about the car recognizing the driver and his preferences. So marlboromike, I see where you are coming from.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
I'm going to repeat my statement that if you add enough of the features from a $40k car to a $24k car you will end up with a second $40k car.

The Solstice, and by extension the Sky, was created as a back-to-basics sports car, and only exists because the sale price was kept low. If it had been designed with all of the extras it would never have been approved.

I am certain that Kappa2 would have gotten all of the bloat that many people want, but the loss of Pontiac and Saturn killed that.

Reactions: skersfan

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Less is more.
This is true.

I spent a bit of time and set my seats once and will never change it. I'd have been happy if it had been accomplished if it had been a simple mechanically adjustable seat without the weight and expense of a electric one. I can see the desirability of the presets if more than one person drives the car, and was just suggesting that they might have included it since they already had it for other cars and it presumably wouldn't have added much in either weight or dollars.

I have built several custom cars and when I get the right seat position I bolt it to the floor in that position as no one but me ever drives those cars (my wife did drive my turbo Fiero once and I urged her to push the accelerator until she got it into boost just so she would know what it felt like (2750 lbs. with 300 bhp approximates a Kappa with a tune). It scared her so bad in the couple of seconds before she pulled her foot out of it, she never drove the car again, which was a shame). That is probably why she wouldn't let me get her a Mazdaspeed Mazda 3 when she was looking for a grocery getter.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts