Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my doors apart for some time now. This week I am having a paintless dent removal guy come to the house to remove all the dings on the body. I know these mystery parts will get in his way so I removed them.

It got me wondering........What purpose do these serve? There is one in each door as shown. Nothing makes contact with them with the windows up or down. The Styrofoam blocks are held on with 3 push pins, to a thin piece of sheet metal which is attached only at the top of the door. It hangs down from there. The thin metal has goo between it and the outer door skin to keep it from flopping around, but they are flopping around anyway because the goo is no longer holding. I wonder if the doors are better off without the part and supporting sheet metal.

Anyone know for certain what these are for? I don't want to get rid of something that has a purpose.....and in a car, everything has a purpose or the manufacture would get rid of it to save those pennies.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My guess is it reduces vibrations and acts as a sound deadener. I had my passenger side fall off, blocking the window from going down more than half way.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you check the link below it looks like it's for crash side impact protection, #10 in the pic. Part #11 is the sound absorber. #10 looks to be the same material that the impact absorber under the front bumper cover is make of.
How that small piece of foam reduces any sort of issues during a crash is beyond me but I ain't no in-gin-ear. :p

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
If you check the link below it looks like it's for crash side impact protection, #10 in the pic. Part #11 is the sound absorber. #10 looks to be the same material that the impact absorber under the front bumper cover is make of.
How that small piece of foam reduces any sort of issues during a crash is beyond me but I ain't no in-gin-ear. :p

That description just says "Absorber" so i suspect the @Amorget is correct that it is another sound or resonance damper.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. They have been extremely helpful in making my decision.

For both doors, I will permanently remove the Styrofoam blocks and supporting thin sheet metal. With everything permanently removed, it will allow for paintless dent removal now and in the future. My driver door has a reflection issue in the area so this is my primary reason for a complete removal.

I will consider attaching thin resonating absorption stick-on pads once the dentless paint removal is complete. The pads I select (if any) won't interfere with future dent removal.

If the Styrofoam with mountings were originally installed for sound deadening, over the years mine surely transformed into noise makers. If the Styrofoam is there for side-impact protection, I can't understand how such a small piece in that location would contribute much, so I am very comfortable removing them for the greater good. High mileage Money Pit has other minor OEM deviations so I am not blinking an eye over this one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The styrofoam maybe there for more then protection and sound. It might stop the doors from rippling in the wind. It dapens sound and also removes the banging you will get at higher speeds. Ford had this issue with their 2004-2006 F150. The rear quarters would buffett (ripple) in the wind and cause cabin vibration and noise. Their "quick" fix was to put a pad and styrofoam in the quarter panel. The foam pad was to deafen noise and the styrofoam gave it rigidity and stopped the buffetting. Unfortunately it led to the quarters rusting out prematurely and they had to go back and fix them with a different solution later.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi The_Ghost, Thanks for the input.

Interesting purpose for them. In my case, my current situation with metal-to-metal vibration potential because they are detached from each other, they are surely doing the opposite of what they were intended for. I could goop silicone caulk in between and reattach, but then I can no longer have dents removed. I am thinking of attaching something similar to the silver pad in the picture.

I now wonder if these things contribute to the driving noise I experience. They are surely coming off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just removed them, brackets and all. I used a tin snip and cut off the mounting brackets shy of the main support that they were tack-welded to. They were surely contributing to all the road noise. Both brackets were flopping around like a string on a base fiddle, resonating loudly off the door panels when I plucked it. It was the right decision for me in my situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts