Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Software, no. But I have passed along my planning and budgeting information, provided as many tips as I could think of, answered any questions sent my way, and offered to help in any way requested by the 2017 and 2018 crews. The same was done for me by the folks that ran 2010, 2014, and 2015. One of the biggest helps for me was being involved in one way or another with 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2015 before having to put 2016 on the road. Seeing bits and pieces of so many events and getting to learn hands on what worked and what didn't was invaluable experience.

As I think about these folks that have stepped up of late and sponsored the Springfield, Lexington and Black Hawk NASSAM's, is there software programs that are forwarded through each organizing group that they use for the next event? Does that software provide for all of the interwoven functions of the event? (I won't list them as I have no experience and probably don't realize the extent needed)

As for the software system availability, I would hope that answer is Yes. For without it, what a huge effort for a consideration of hosting an event.

If that 'wheel' does exist and not needed to be re-invented by each host sponsor, I would assume that would be a tremendous start on hosting an event. Then adequate run options and conference facilities would round out a good start for a host consideration.

An off the cuff idea might be to take the lead organizer person from the last five (or a chosen number, maybe it is three) of NASSAM events and make them the committee to pass judgement and advice for the next NASSAM site volunteers; for example, Sooner, John, and RtE. For each new NASSAM year, the oldest host would drop off, while the last host would be added. This would provide experience, support, insight and some continuity to each years NASSAM event. And, also be apt to provide a lot of comfort to a new site volunteer organization. Possibly increasing the odds of more club's even stepping up and volunteering.

Just some thoughts......:dunno:

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I would love to see Canada (particularly the Ontario group), northern Georgia, or the west coast (PCH, San Luis Obispo, north of San Francisco, or Tahoe) do one.

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Software, no. But I have passed along my planning and budgeting information, provided as many tips as I could think of, answered any questions sent my way, and offered to help in any way requested by the 2017 and 2018 crews. The same was done for me by the folks that ran 2010, 2014, and 2015. One of the biggest helps for me was being involved in one way or another with 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2015 before having to put 2016 on the road. Seeing bits and pieces of so many events and getting to learn hands on what worked and what didn't was invaluable experience.
"Software" in the form of the registration website has been common to a number of NASSAMs, and that was one area that we didn't have to re-create.

The planning and budgeting information that we were given was quite valuable, and we would have had a much harder time without it, but personal involvement in the planning of a previous event would have been even better. Someone call tell you everything there is to know about something, but until you do it, it isn't real.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
There is preliminary discussion on Facebook about Solstice Sky Owners of Ontario (SSOOO) hosting 2019. I have provided the link below, but I think you have to be a member of the group to be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSOOO/permalink/10155517286328536/?comment_id=10155518811983536&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1502030489008849
I am not a member, can see the group, can see who is a member, can't see any of the discussions, no need to ask me to join.

Interesting, they need to look very seriously and realistically at their expected turnout. I am of the opinion that many, many people will not get a passport just to allow them to attend a Canadian event, but I could be quite wrong too.

:dunno:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am not a member, can see the group, can see who is a member, can't see any of the discussions, no need to ask me to join.

Interesting, they need to look very seriously and realistically at their expected turnout. I am of the opinion that many, many people will not get a passport just to allow them to attend a Canadian event, but I could be quite wrong too.

Me too, Me too.
I am not going to drive 2000 miles from south Texas. I already have a passport but that wont make the trip short enough.
:willy::willy::willy::willy:

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
It's always going to be a long way for some people to travel. That's the reason NASSAM has always moved around - so folks in different area get a chance to attend without always having to make the long haul. There have been several events much closer to south Texas - Nashville, Denver, Austin, Flagstaff, Arkansas, back to Colorado...

Me too, Me too.
I am not going to drive 2000 miles from south Texas. I already have a passport but that wont make the trip short enough.
:willy::willy::willy::willy:

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts

Have passport - will travel.

·
Registered
854 Posts
As we owners get older, our butts spending time in the driver seat for long cruises tends to wear thin for most of us. I was at my limit during the Lexington visit. The event was well done by John and the local club. Being from the east coast I can understand, how many more owners tend to be in this area of the country. It varies I know.. from region to region with how cars/owners attend a certain event.

Some things I thought about a year or so in advance of my trip to Lexington.

How far is it from home? Less than, more than am I willing to go? What's my limit or yours?

What will it cost me? Budget is always the bottom line here. What am I or you willing to pay to get there and back?

How long do I have? Travel time to and from event? How long do I or you plan to stay at said event?

For some of us, it's a no brainer. I'm all in or I can only make it for two days.

I am not sure about the local club for my area, and my home state as projected place to hold an annual event. There is only one good place I can think of that comes to mind right now and that would be Deep Creek Lake. Mountain roads, full of twisty sections, state parks, good hotels, good eats and if your taking a break from driving, you could spent the day on the lake. Pretty cool place, have some good video from some rides I took there 2 years ago.

Moving the event around gives everyone a chance to attend at some point. A road trip in the Sky? Yeah that's what I thought.. a no brainer. Who's in?

LAC

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would love to see Canada (particularly the Ontario group), northern Georgia, or the west coast (PCH, San Luis Obispo, north of San Francisco, or Tahoe) do one.
A few of us discussed this on our annual Niagara Falls trip yesterday. Ended up concluding there were too many obstacles for us to hold a National meet in this area north of the border.

·
Registered
945 Posts
several people mentioned here have been invited to a 2019 exploratory Group on FB

John Reidel is one of them.

not trying to pre-empt or step on anyone's toes...trying to make something happen in upstate NY

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,563 Posts
Could you invite me please. I will PM you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Me too, Me too. I am not going to drive 2000 miles from south Texas. I already have a passport but that wont make the trip short enough.
With all due respect, you expect me to drive the 2000 miles from Canada to somewhere in the States when you won't reciprocate? I know there are much fewer Kappas up here than down there thus making a Canadian NASSM much less enticing but your logic is discouraging.....Sorry. I have a passport, am willing to come to the States not worrying about politics or current events that are prevalent today.
Terry
:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
With all due respect, you expect me to drive the 2000 miles from Canada to somewhere in the States when you won't reciprocate? I know there are much fewer Kappas up here than down there thus making a Canadian NASSM much less enticing but your logic is discouraging.....Sorry. I have a passport, am willing to come to the States not worrying about politics or current events that are prevalent today.
Terry
This is the main reason why skersfan and I have talked about doing regional events instead. If we can get enough attention at a regional level it might fuel more interest in a national event but we'd need to be realistic about setting up what would make up a regional event and how to separate them from the national event by making the regionals less grandiose than the national.

·
Registered
742 Posts
A few of us discussed this on our annual Niagara Falls trip yesterday. Ended up concluding there were too many obstacles for us to hold a National meet in this area north of the border.
I would definitely agree there would be a multitude of obstacles for us up here, which is too bad because there are great places up here. The Laurentian mountains, Mount Tremblant area, the Rocky mountains in BC or Alberta, Cottage Country in Ontario immediately come to mind as well as many other great ideas. As someone said you have to look at the intended target audience and attendees. I know that a very good result could be had in Canada, but attendance would come into play. Just my thoughts.....

Terry

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Some years ago we discussed the idea of having regional meets to augment the Annual Meet, and the only real conclusion that we came to was that the date should be far enough away from June 21st to minimize interference.

The important thing is to organize something. Pick a date, design runs, plan some activities, and invite everyone to show up. Plan for it to be relatively small so that low attendance won't hurt, and dare people to make it "too big".

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Several regional events accross the country. Immediately lose the National Title. That way each area could call it the SW, NW, E, Florida what ever. You could bring local sponsors in for the event. But if everyone that puts on a small event calls it a National, you lose credibility with a potential major sponsor. Regional events would most likely up the annual attendance significantly. Once you have established you can pull off regional event, then reopen the name for the National, and invite winning cars to the National and give a discount for entry or something. After a year or two of Regionals, you will add a great number of experienced people to the National crew. Use all the past personnel that have had a past National, more experience the better.

IF you could show that on a National basis you had a 800-900 cars show up (We draw 25-30 at our monthly events, with a couple hundred on the list, Phoenix area has a lot of cars and are active) then you can approach major names that have funds to do something to help. Local business that can participate and gain something from being involved. Say a car show at the local Best Buy parking lot or do one at a local park and have a clean up hour around the park. Just do something that will draw people from outside the normal circle. What we have are diehards, and that is great, but as the diehards die off, so does the car and NASSAM.

I have been thru this stuff with NMA, AMA, NORBA. AMA is still afloat, NMA is not, NORBA, National off road Bicycle association (Division of USA Cycling) is gone. They married with all the Ski Resorts and it became to expensive to even field a team. They ran you all over the country. AMA has their amateur National at Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. A locked in sight with Regional Qualifiers all over the country. Much larger base no question. But their regional's are ran at Regularly scheduled race sites.

If I lived in Ohio, I wouldn't drive to California for a National for any reason, too old and tired to even think about it. Would I drive to Kentucky, maybe, but mainly to visit the Civil War stuff. Would I drive to upstate New Your. Never! I have been there done that with NORBA and AMA. Would I expect them to drive here, absolutely not. At some point you have to think of your customer.

Most of us are getting up there in age, driving over a day to attend just isn't normally going to happen. I agree though that the event should be on the Eastern side, as most cars are in that area. But having it all over the easter seaboard, because you want a different vacation every year, in my opinion is not going to work much longer.

To do one of these in NY or Florida or California, you are asking your potential customer to trave a tremendous amount, even for the east coast group. Better to have the vast majority drive a half day or full day than require everyone to drive way farther. Great for the people in the area no question, but not so good for the guy that lives in Kansas or Iowa.

Having it at a different place each year makes it harder and harder for it to continue. Each new group has a huge financial responsibility with taking this on. The more it is mentioned, about how hard it is and how much time it takes, eliminates potential people from doing one

I have said all I am going to say about it. I enjoyed my trip to Arkansas, it was well thought out and ran. Have registered for Colorado and have promised I would attend in Kentucky. Would work hard to establish a Regional event for the Arizona/California/Nevada area. Would never consider having a National in this area, especially in the summer, too hot, too many people.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Keep in mind too that when new, the majority of these vehicles were sold in CA, TX, FL and MI (in order). These states account for 33% (30,180) of all Kappas sold in the US. These states each had 6,000 - 8,000 total vehicles sold in each state. To put that in perspective, the next closest state after MI which had 6,181 Kappas sold is OH with 4,596. The north east states were high with NY having 3,389 and PA with 4,022, NJ with 2,754. IL had 3,511.

These are all, by far, the most of the highest numbers on the 50 state list I have (link below). The average sold per state is only around 1840.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/saturn-sky-sales-numbers-state-81690/

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
My opinion is that part of the lack of high participation among owners is two factors. The cars are mostly owned as a leisure toy. For relaxation and having fun on a warm, sunny day. People looking for a good time on a sunny day are not highly motivated to travel long distances to show off their car. And . .. lets face it, most of our owners are 50 and up. Again, not a demographic that attracts a lot of energy put into events.

Also, one must remember that the Sky was aimed at 50 year old females! When I get in Lovie's car, my estrogen level goes waaaay up! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

61 - 80 of 117 Posts