Registered
945 Posts
my original post was straightforward, polite and to the point

NASSAM 2019 will be announced when the hotel contract is signed

You will get the dates and location at that time

·
Super Moderator
11,287 Posts
Robo...you and I have been members here since the beginning and I thought we had a good relationship

#1 ...I did not start this thread, but when people informed me that questions were being asked, i responded

#2 ...unlike BlackHawk I have no intention of interrupting this years event by posting about next years

#3 ...I will post when 2019 is official and was merely replying to a concern about whether 2019 will happen (It will)

#4 ...I was being facetious in my reply to Arizona...lighten up a bit

#5 ....your hostility is unwarranted

peace in the valley
We're good but the response came off harsh and short.

Online without the use of written cues replacing the normal non-verbal cues we give off to better communicate the intentions of our words, it is easy to misunderstand what others are saying. More on this below.

44th didn't have a question on whether or not 2019 would happen, but what event location your post was referring to. You addressed that.

You gave no indication that your comment about AZ was facetious or meant to be lighthearted. As for me needing to lighten up, my weight has nothing to do with this. ;)

Robo...you do what you choose to do, no skin off of mine

you are making this personal...it's not

and btw the is no @Druid-2 (I don't tweet)

I can wait till July 1st to advise on 2019

don't understand the venom coming from you
Here is where we're coming back to the written word being less able to communicate what we normally would in person. I'm not taking this personal. You've stated you don't want to interrupt 2018 with talk on 2019. A thread on 2019 is counter intuitive to that. Thus my offer of taking down this thread is not making this personal nor venomous. It would achieve the objective of not discussing 2019 since 2018 isn't over.

As for me getting a bit irritated at this, its the statement that someone shouldn't talk about next year since this year isn't over. You may not have started this thread, but it's here. Rather than coming in and making the statements you did, you would have been better off, and achieved what you want to achieve, but just stating:

"At this time I'm not discussing details on next year's or the following year's events until after the 2018 event has concluded. I would not like to steal the excitement from that event anymore than I would like someone stealing the spotlight from these future events. Full details will be announced once they are finalized and sometime after the conclusion of this year's event. Thank you for understanding and your enthusiasm for these events."

Addressed the question, didn't give out information to cast shade on this year's event, and didn't do it in a way that may misinterpret my intended delivery.

Finally, on forum dynamics, @Druid-2 has nothing to do with Twitter. You'll see that you have a notification that you've been mentioned in a post and when you click that notification, it will take you to this (or the previous depending on which notification you click on) post. That's called a mention and it notifies you that someone has mentioned your name in a post...much like is done on Facebook. I use it to notify people that I am writing something I want them to see and to allow other members to contact them if required (like in for sale posts or technical discussions where I know another member has a certain expertise on the subject at hand). Its a feature they added to the forums a couple years ago.

my original post was straightforward, polite and to the point

NASSAM 2019 will be announced when the hotel contract is signed

You will get the dates and location at that time
It was, however that's not the post that I was responding to. For clarity, it was this one that was in response to a question generated by the post you have referenced in the quote above:

Does it matter? you are in Arizona anyway !
it isn't Lex

2018 isn't over

you will be advised in proper time
This statement was not clear as to it's tone since there was no indication of any part of it to be humorous. Thus it can...and almost should have been expected to...be misinterpreted as to it's tone.

You and I do go way back Druid-2 but you aren't very active on here and I have forgotten how dry your writing style is. Not a bad thing, just a lot has to be read into it by those who know you to get the full affect.

All is well, let's drop this and move on.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This is a thread about the 2019 event. @Druid-2, please explain to me why this line of questioning by 44thSky is out of line and warrants such a response?

I mean, if it's too early to talk about 2019 I can just close down this thread and you folks can start a new one after 2018 is over. Then you won't get these kinds of questions.
:yay: :yay: :party: :party: :party:

·
Registered
945 Posts
in the interest of harmony..close this thread...WITH A CAVEAT

that 2019 will be announced AFTER 2018 has concluded

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Note that I typed this almost an hour ago, but failed to post it due to a hearing appliance issue that needed immediate attention.

There is a post on the solstice forum (this morning, see below) that the 2019 and 2020 NASSAM events will be in upstate NY (upstate NY mentioned in an earlier post on the thread).
I think you may have misread that post.

2019 and 2020 will not be in the same location. Both are still in the planning stages. One will be East of the Mississippi and one will be west of the Mississippi.

I know nothing for certain at this point, other than that.

Fair 'nuff?

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Dave, I agree it is pretty hard to follow with two threads on the topic, some discussions dating way back. But, I was reading beginning with the Feb 2018 posts and all the talk was Upstate NY, so I probably did miss another counter discussion somewhere. And, thanks for adding the info on the East/West point. That is a completely new piece of information and encouraging to say the least.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Dave, I agree it is pretty hard to follow with two threads on the topic, some discussions dating way back. But, I was reading beginning with the Feb 2018 posts and all the talk was Upstate NY, so I probably did miss another counter discussion somewhere. And, thanks for adding the info on the East/West point. That is a completely new piece of information and encouraging to say the least.
The 2019 people do not want to detract from the 2018 event in Black Hawk, CO. I'm pretty sure that 2019 will be addressed, probably at the closing dinner at Black Hawk, but I guess a lot, too.

That is all I will comment on until they make their announcement.

I am probably remiss in not having paid a lot of attention to these speculative threads, but I have not attended any of these events since 2007 in Nashville. I am not planning on going to Black Hawk, either.

I'm done.

:seeya:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Robo,

You can close this thread if you want, but the subject matter will pop up again in another thread if you do. You're choice.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Speaking as a former event organizer, I do not find threads and/or posts asking about and confirming the existence of future events to be a problem for the current event. People want to know what the future brings and letting them know that something is going to happen and telling them where it is going to be is perfectly reasonable.

That said, continuous posts about what activities are planned, how things are going to work, and how great it is going to be, do detract from the current event and should be avoided by the future event planners as a courtesy to the current event team.

I agree with Dave that closing this thread will likely cause another to start, but keeping it open won't prevent it.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
I had typed a response and did not post it. I really don't understand the secrecy part of where the National will be. The more time people have to plan for things the better for me. The wife wants to travel in Europe in 2020. It would be nice to know where the National is going to be so we could possibly do both. Pretty sure I know when it will be.

Unfortunately will not make the 2019 no matter where it is. The back is not going to allow me the opportunity to drive 7-8 thousand miles to do it. I have been to New York for AMA Nationals several times, and thought it was a beautiful area. But two weeks driving the car that far would not work no matter how good the drugs were.

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Thinking about this further, it would actually be better for the current event for the future event organizers to make an announcement stating that the event is viable and confirming the date and location.

Communication following that announcement should be limited to answering direct questions so that people can be comfortable making arrangements to attend.

·
Super Moderator
11,287 Posts
Robo,

You can close this thread if you want, but the subject matter will pop up again in another thread if you do. You're choice.

Dave

Speaking as a former event organizer, I do not find threads and/or posts asking about and confirming the existence of future events to be a problem for the current event. People want to know what the future brings and letting them know that something is going to happen and telling them where it is going to be is perfectly reasonable.

That said, continuous posts about what activities are planned, how things are going to work, and how great it is going to be, do detract from the current event and should be avoided by the future event planners as a courtesy to the current event team.

I agree with Dave that closing this thread will likely cause another to start, but keeping it open won't prevent it.
I have no intentions of closing the thread. I would only do so if the event organizers wished it so which considering the comment I thought might be the case. That's been straightened out and the thread remains open. My comment on closing this thread wasn't some sort of "threat" but rather a genuine question regarding the organizer's desires for conversation, or rather a hiatus on said conversation until after the 2018 event, regarding this event.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts