Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
From the folks planning NASSAM 2020 we'd like to wish everyone a happy holiday season, and remind you that everything you ever wanted to know about our event next June is out there at http://www.nassam2020.com. You can also email us at [email protected]. And please note that you can find NASSAM 2020 along with over 400 followers over at Facebook, the link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102256869915619/. Come join us there for a little chit-chat with some messages from our vendors.


Again, happy holidays and we hope to see you in Rapid City in June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hello Friends: Sooner or later someone was going to ask, and it happened today. A query came up pertaining to the potential impact of the coronavirus on our NASSAM 2020. For those who may not know, my wife Karen and I live just south of the county in Washington State hardest hit, and I work in that county. The situation is a very real concern to folks in Western Washington, but despite what you may have heard Washingtonians are really quite calm about the situation. Sure, it is a little hard to find some items at the supermarket like disinfectant, but there was some left at the store last night when we went shopping. In the three counties here, that have been most affected, government officials including the governor and county councils have cancelled or postponed events of over 250 people. You may also know that the NCAA has made the decision that only immediate family and a few others will be in attendance for men's and women's basketball tournaments. This will affect the men's tournament in Spokane about 300 miles from our home. Many schools, colleges and universities are now holding classes online, that is generally true here in Washington State as well. Karen and I are currently in a dialog with the hotel in Rapid City to determine what this can potentially mean 90 days from now primarily with regard to our contractual obligation to the hotel. The contract does include a clause pertaining to cancellation due to "acts of God and nature". We'll try to keep you posted. For now, we continue to plan forward hoping that things will settle down and we'll get to see you all in June. Lastly, I'm going to moderate comments to this post to try to keep things on point, so please don't be upset if you see some edits. Best regards, Rick and Karen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hello again folks: Just a little update, we received a couple of additional registrations so we're approaching 120 cars. Let's hope we get to spend some time together in June, the potential spread of the Coronavirus notwithstanding.

On that subject, here in Washington State where Karen and I live, schools have been closed completely through of April 24 (as a teacher my sister gets a month of vacation she hadn't planned for). Many folks are telecommuting, oddly enough toilet paper still seems to be a big purchase item (this isn't dysentery after all). But for most of us we head to work each day, and go about our daily business.

A few folks (you'll see the thread below) have said somewhat adamantly they plan to go to Rapid City in June. Fair enough, but since I don't have an ability to predict the future I choose to wait and see. Remember, Karen and I are right in the middle of it all, so we do our best to figure out what is prudent based upon direction of our state health department and government officials. For those out there who are adamant about going to Rapid City...perhaps you'd reconsider if you were in our shoes. We've already lost one friend to this, and another is on shaky ground. We live in a state where travel restrictions have been proposed, so we'll see what comes of that. At least one university in the mid-west has told students that if they return home to the Seattle area for spring break they may not return to campus. I'd like to think that I'm not over reacting. As an engineer I pride myself on balanced judgement...I'm hoping that is still working.


:)
We'll continue to work out the details with the hotel and keep you posted. For the moment we do hope to see you in June. More later. Best to everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Things move fast around here, I hope this latest update doesn’t make anyone’s head spin.

Karen had an excellent call with our contact at the hotel this morning. The Best Western (really the owners of this particular Best Western) have made the decision to waive all cancellation fees, including room percentage usage and food primarily. The outbreak falls under the contractual category as an "Act of God". This hotel has had all events through the end of March cancelled. Currently they are not under a 250 person group rule for gatherings as we are here at home in the Puget Sound region.

As for South Dakota, illnesses thus far are on the east side of the state, in particular in the Sioux Falls area with none in Rapid City. In fact, Rapid City is hosting the State A basketball tournament, but only players are attending; no fans.
Karen and I plan to be in communication with the hotel as we go through this week to week. As the hotel has any changes in Rapid City they will let us know; if we have changes here in Washington State we will let them know (and all of you as well).
As for a timeline for a decision of when to cancel; we will take that one step at a time, but it is currently our decision to make. Were the gathering here and now in our area, the event would have been cancelled by direction from authorities. We must consider this to be a potential possibility in Rapid City in June.
The hotel owners and staff could not be more understanding and helpful, and we have been and continue to be very thankful for their assistance. We have some details to work out in case of cancellation and room reservations. Once we have that we'll let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
To add a bit...from an email query. I was asked "If you cancel the event will we need to make new reservations for that week?" The direct answer is "yes".

That said, it is unlikely that we will cancel the event. South Dakota authorities may cancel such events as they have here in the Puget Sound area. Were that to come to pass the entire block of rooms will be cancelled. Given whatever your travel restrictions that may be enacted and your choices for vacation you would need to make a new reservation in that circumstance as well.

Lastly, if you do not wish to come to the event for whatever reason, you will need to cancel your hotel reservations.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Strange days indeed. Thanks for being on top of this, both of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Monday, March 16

Good morning friends: As I previously noted I wouldn't provide updates unless something significant happened...well, here you go. I hope that this isn't a preview of what the rest of you will experience.

Here throughout Washington State there is a temporary shut down restaurants, bars, and recreational facilities statewide. Grocery stores, pharmacies and restaurant take-out remain available. Schools are closed through April 24, as for the other closures there is not yet provided a definition of "temporary". Similar actions have been taken as I understand it in California, New York, Ohio and Illinois.

Karen and I continue to plan and prepare for NASSAM 2020 with help from the operating committee in hopes of seeing you in June. Please take care. Rick and Karen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Things are going to get worse before they start improving but NASSAM 2020 still has some time on their side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Tuesday, March 17 - As promised, when I make updates to Facebook, I'll post them here.

Good Morning: Several counties in the bay area of California have taken steps a bit further in that they are putting a "shelter in place" into effect. They have provided guidelines for what is considered to be essential as to businesses that may remain open. The LA Times had a piece describing it, the link is below. Again, let's hope this isn't a preview for the rest of you. And remember, I'm just trying to keep you up on what may effect our event. But this is clearly seen through the lens of my eye, that is to say that I'm picking up on things that directly affect our family and potentially this event. Please keep up with news in your area and how that may impact you and yours. Rick and Karen

https://www.latimes.com/.../how-the-san-francisco-bay...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hello out there: I suspect that by now most of you are under roughly the same conditions we have here in Washington State, something more than business as usual, but less than the California (parts of it) Shelter in Place. We wish you all the best. Just to reiterate, Karen and I take things one day at a time with regard to NASSAM 2020. The hotel is not holding us to any cancellation fees, so we were thankful for them to offer that. If you have any concerns please just email us at [email protected].
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,186 Posts
Hello out there: I suspect that by now most of you are under roughly the same conditions we have here in Washington State, something more than business as usual, but less than the California (parts of it) Shelter in Place.
If you haven't heard yet, all of CA is Shelter in Place now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Kinda, I still have to work!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to your new world and this damned internet!!!!!!

Oh well I started it I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,840 Posts
It's kind of funny, after closing the schools and going to internet-based classes and assignments, my grandkids' school discovered they did not have enough bandwidth to service all the kids at the same time.

:dunno:

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hello Friends: Its been a while since we last checked in.
Karen and I hope that all of you are safe and caring for yourselves. We, here in Washington State are at Day 1 of a 14 day "Shelter in Place". The reason for the quotes is that unlike the state of California, the state of Washington didn't use those words. Our instructions are just a bit stricter than in California, meaning that we've had even more of the economy shut down than the Californians have.
As for NASSAM 2020, we're simply in a patient holding pattern to see what comes of the next month or so. On or about May 1st we reach the point of the final planning stages for ordering t-shirts, making final arrangements with the hotel and so on. We are considering different options if we're unable to gather in June as planned, but it seems just a bit too early to make any lasting decisions. Please send any concerns you may have to [email protected].
In the meantime Karen and I are both telecommuting, which she typically does, but I never do. Good thing we like spending time together! Best to you and yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Hello folks: People have been asking about the possible cancellation of this event which does seem a reasonable question. Here is our approach...On or about May 1st we have to make final arrangements with the hotel, order t-shirts and a couple of other things. Here in Washington State we are in a "Stay Home, Stay Safe" situation (AKA "Shelter in Place") until the end of April. Until then we are keeping the option open to have the event this year as planned. So, please keep an eye out because we'll likely make a call on May 1st. We have a couple of options we're looking into for postponement, one is to move to later this year and the other is moving to 2022, both of those options have pros and cons we're evaluating. So if we can all hang on until May 1st we'll see where we are at that point and what our options really are with our vendors and hotel. Best regards, Rick and Karen.
 
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Top