Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following the release of this car from the first whisper. I've never been a fan of american cars but I still fell in love with the Sky, then I drove it....NOW I WANT ONE!!!! So here's my dillema. I'll be moving to DC area from philly for grad school at GMU. Dont' have the money to buy it as an extra car. So...do I trade in my '02 330XI??? The car is fairly loaded, spt pkg, leather, nav, clears, angel eyes and Dension Ice-Link. Realize I'll be sacrificing some luxury for a freakin' great looking car, not to mention great handling with perfect heel-toe peddels. Here's the other thing, the BMW has 94K miles so will continuously need work, but I also already have a Ducati as my 'toy.' So do I stay sensible with the BMW or splurge for another "toy" before i have kids and soccer equiptment to haul around?? OOORR do I wait and save for Redline? any advice would be great. Thanks guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
I think this one is all up to you. That BMW cannot be cheap to maintain with that kind of mileage, which may be a reason in itself to look at alternatives.

With the Sky, you really have to decide if you can live with it as a daily driver for a while. Will the Sky get you and your stuff to the DC area? Once your in DC, will it be sufficient for your cargo needs while there? Also, your not going to be driving around with too many friends in it either.

I think the Sky would make a find change from your 330. Not as luxurious, but what you lose in luxury emenities you gain in having a georgeous convertable. The big issue would be practicality, and how much practicality you can live without for the next few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Well...this is just my opinion, but here goes. You say that you'll be relocating to DC...they can get some decent snowfall there, am I wrong? I live in Chicago, so I know all about the white stuff. However, we have another car (Nissan Murano AWD) that will get us through the winter months. I don't know if I would feel comfortable driving a rear-wheel drive car in anything over 3 inches of snow of on the ground. And I don't think your Ducati will come in handy at those times, either. :D That's a really tough decision. I guess it all comes down to what you want. Perhaps you could acquire a 'beater' car to drive in the winter months once you're in DC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I have a Sky and live in the DC area. It is not my primary ride. I am the same as you, I don't buy American cars. My primary ride is a 2004 Acura TL. As to the decision about your BMW, you are the one who has to make that decision. However, I have a wife and 2 kids and have a long commute to work. I could never have my Sky as my primary ride. It is a pure toy for me and the wife. Just food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
nscrbug said:
Well...this is just my opinion, but here goes. You say that you'll be relocating to DC...they can get some decent snowfall there, am I wrong? I live in Chicago, so I know all about the white stuff. However, we have another car (Nissan Murano AWD) that will get us through the winter months. I don't know if I would feel comfortable driving a rear-wheel drive car in anything over 3 inches of snow of on the ground. And I don't think your Ducati will come in handy at those times, either. :D That's a really tough decision. I guess it all comes down to what you want. Perhaps you could acquire a 'beater' car to drive in the winter months once you're in DC?
I think he would probably be ok in DC with a Sky. They don't get much snow, over the course of a winter, and when they do happen to get some significant snowfall, the whole city basically shuts down anyway, so there is nowhere to really go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I think he would probably be ok in DC with a Sky. They don't get much snow, over the course of a winter, and when they do happen to get some significant snowfall, the whole city basically shuts down anyway, so there is nowhere to really go.
We could only be so lucky here in Chicago! :lol: It literally has to snow like 2 feet before anything shutsdown. I guess we're just used to it. :banghead: If that is the case...then I would have to base my decision on the practicality of the car. As long as it will serve your needs...I say go for it! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
As I said, I live in the D.C. area. If snow is in the forecast, school systems will announce that they are closed the night before..a flake has not hit the ground yet...I have lived in Boston before, and it is more like Chicago there...everything is open. But, here in D.C., the roads turn into parking lots and everyone freaks out....:willy:

As to the purchase of the Sky, I would not put snow into the equation of whether to buy one or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
nscrbug said:
We could only be so lucky here in Chicago! :lol: It literally has to snow like 2 feet before anything shutsdown. I guess we're just used to it. :banghead: If that is the case...then I would have to base my decision on the practicality of the car. As long as it will serve your needs...I say go for it! :thumbs:
I'm from Buffalo, so I can certainly relate. It has been 4-5 years since we saw the city get shut down (and I got a day off from work) because of the white stuff. The down side was that we got 77 inches over a 5 day span! :eek: This winter, I think I had to drive through snow deeper than just a dusting once. It either snowed light enough that the salters and plows kept up, or it melted quickly. I could have easily driven a Sky this past winter without trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
1.go for the redline.2.owings miils saturn baltimore county taking deposits.3.talk to phil harris.4.call410.356.6900 5.tell him robby sent you ,i`m #1 on the list for the redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for your 2 cents guys. as for the weather in the DC area, i'm not concerned with the sky getting around, good set of all seasons and i'll feel fine with an inch or two, and like you all said the whole city shuts down with the first sign of white stuff. I'll keep your concerns in mind. DAMN i love this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,025 Posts
Advice

I think it is best said in these words..and they r not mine...I read it on the forum....""When you get into this car, it puts it's arm around YOU""

I believe we can all agree upon that.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
As to the purchase of the Sky, I would not put snow into the equation of whether to buy one or not.
:agree: My mother lives in DC and drives a Miata, with no backup plan. You'll be fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
Having spent more time in the DC area than I cared to I don't think you will have a problem with the Sky there. However, I would opt for the automatic, as the traffic there is a killer. Drove the Sky with and auto and it surprised me. If I were still in the DC area, that would be my choice over the manual.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
The one thing I haven't seen listed for your thoughts is...When do you really need the SKY? As of right now, our Toledo Saturn dealership has sold out for all Sky cars through May of 2007. If you think you might want one, you better get on someone's list now- you can always change your mind later.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
pit1 said:
thanks for your 2 cents guys. as for the weather in the DC area, i'm not concerned with the sky getting around, good set of all seasons and i'll feel fine with an inch or two, and like you all said the whole city shuts down with the first sign of white stuff. I'll keep your concerns in mind. DAMN i love this car.
Sounds like you really want it! Good luck with whatever you decide!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Just get the dad burn thing!:cheers:

Otherwise, you will be just saying, "Shoud'a,Woud'a,Coud'a", while walking and burping dem babies.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
pit1 said:
thanks for your 2 cents guys. as for the weather in the DC area, i'm not concerned with the sky getting around, good set of all seasons and i'll feel fine with an inch or two, and like you all said the whole city shuts down with the first sign of white stuff. I'll keep your concerns in mind. DAMN i love this car.
Sounds like you've got all your bases covered...just DO IT (as Nike says). :D Seriously though, I can relate to being in the position of having to make a tough decision on this. I had to decide between a new Harley or the Sky. As much as I REALLY wanted a new Harley Street Glide in my garage...I couldn't justify getting rid of my current Harley, especially since there is nothing wrong with it, it only has 30K miles on it, and I have invested a ton of $$$ on chrome and engine mods...so it didn't make sense to get a new bike and have to start all over again. Hence, the reason I opted for the Sky. :yesnod: The only downside to it all...if I had chosen the Harley, I would have HAD it by now! :banghead: :willy:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top