Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just swapped out the BCM, I got the photos and stuff for a quick DIY, but now when I start it up... This happens:

(Video still processing as of right now)

I put the old one back in there, and now the windows AND door locks don't work. What is going on? What should I do?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been doing my best to thumb through the internet about this and I believe that:

-The BCM I bought is AKA as the ECU?
--If so, does that mean I have to get this one "programmed" for the Red Line?

-What would cause my power windows to fail now?

I'm really confused. I'm about to throw in the towel and take it into the dealer, but I'm afraid I'll get raped on the fees :(

·
7,068 Posts
After everything is hooked-up to the way it was with battery connected ---- Disconnect the negative terminal at the battery for about a minute and see if it resets its-self... Good Luck!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't touch the BCM too much, but if it has a different calibration in it then what you had it might need to reflashed. There is probably a learn procedure as well that you should do as well. I'll try to see if I can did something up.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

-I had the negative cable disconnected BEFORE I swapped the BCM. I would then reconnect it afterwards. Sometimes the car would be quiet when I reconnected it. Other times the security system would go off and the car would start honking!!

-This part I bought used off Ebay. It did NOT come off a Sky Red Line. It came off a different car, but the Delphi & GM Part numbers are EXACT matches.

How would I get it reflashed? Dealer?

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
even if the part numbers are the same, it is probable that since it came from a different car, it has software for that car loaded on it. You need to get it reflashed with the RL software. It is just getting confused by the inputs not matching what it is expecting to see.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
even if the part numbers are the same, it is probable that since it came from a different car, it has software for that car loaded on it. You need to get it reflashed with the RL software. It is just getting confused by the inputs not matching what it is expecting to see.
That is what I'm thinking. I'm going to call a GM dealer Monday to see how much a reflash would cost.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, come to find out the other day that now the car WILL NOT start at all. I put the key in, and as I turned it, the lights quickly came on and shut off.

I'm going to get the new BCM I have reloaded today (hopefully), and if that doesn't work, I will get a battery as well. If THOSE don't work, its going to a shop. I give up.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Just for clarification: Power window operation is totally unrelated to the BCM.

There have been issues with the Underhood Fuse Block, mainly caused by a cracked circuit board.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Looks like the dealer needs to do a relearn for your BCM. The immobilizer is probably preventing the engine from running, may set at a code.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just for clarification: Power window operation is totally unrelated to the BCM.

There have been issues with the Underhood Fuse Block, mainly caused by a cracked circuit board.
Awesome, more stuff to replace... This is really getting old, really quick.

Looks like the dealer needs to do a relearn for your BCM. The immobilizer is probably preventing the engine from running, may set at a code.
I'm taking the BCM (the new one I have) to a dealer hopefully today. Tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the GM Dealer, only $80 to reprogram the BCM. Not too bad. The other dealer wanted $100!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm taking the BCM (the new one I have) to a dealer hopefully today. Tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with the GM Dealer, only $80 to reprogram the BCM. Not too bad. The other dealer wanted $100!
Did they say the can do a bench flash/reprogram? Hate to see you show up with just the BCM and they give you a funny look. I would think they would go through the diagnostic port.

Make sure you have the VIN too since they need to pull up what RPOs the car has.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I think I would go back to the original BCM, then track down the problem with the power windows.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Did they say the can do a bench flash/reprogram? Hate to see you show up with just the BCM and they give you a funny look. I would think they would go through the diagnostic port.

Make sure you have the VIN too since they need to pull up what RPOs the car has.
They said it was a reprogram on the phone. I also mentioned "dropping the BCM off" and they were good with that. Thanks for the VIN tip btw.

I think I would go back to the original BCM, then track down the problem with the power windows.
Well I started this whole thing because the door locks were out of whack (locking & unlocking randomly), and based on the advice given through searches on the forum and my thread, the BCM seemed the culprit. So I got a used one from another car (13,000 mi old) for about $67. If I can get the reprogram done for $80, then I'm only out $150, so not too bad.

EDIT: Also, the original BCM is in the car right now. When I tried starting the car, it wouldn't even come on. The lights flashed one real quick and then everything shut down. The motor didn't even turn over.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Sorry you are having problems, :sorry: however, this really appears to have been a self-inflicting wound. How someone can also think that putting a part programmed from a different car into our car and that it would function is...:crazy: well you choose the word...:skep:
I do however hope you can get this figured out and fixed..

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah the swap wasn't the best idea (before the reprogram). In all honesty, I thought because it wasn't the actual primary computer I'd be in okay shape, but hey I was wrong.

Can't be perfect. So when I put the old one back in there, why would the car refuse to start? It worked fine for a couple of days after I put the old one back in there. Anyways, I'm getting the new unit reprogrammed with the Red Line program tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, for the record, the car was NOT driven anywhere when the foreign BCM was in there. What you see in that video was the second startup. So before anyone starts slamming / face palming me big time, let me get that across.

Now you can proceed.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
The power window problem points to an issue outside of the BCM. The fact that the car ran after the original BCM was re-installed, but does not now, also points to an issue outside the BCM.

Most anything that happened with the foreign BCM installed is suspect, unless it happened to a system that the BCM does not influence.

There may, or may not, be two issues happening at the same time. It happens, but I am always suspicious of coincidences. I would look at anything that could have caused the window issue, eliminate it, and see if all of the problems go away before I would pay to reprogram a new BCM. Then again, I am not involved, and do not pretend to have all of the answers.

It is always easy to second-guess someone else's actions, and easy to criticize those actions when you know what the outcome was, especially in an anonymous environment such as this. I wouldn't take any of the criticism too seriously, or even pay attention to it for that matter.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks John :) I appreciate your suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dang it, so the dealer is saying the BCM has to be hooked up to the car to receive a reprogram. I thought they just hooked it up to their equipment and did a few mouse clicks? Oh well, I need to try and get the car started. If it doesn't start, I'll try jumping it.

More to come...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts