Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bearings went out on th fan motor on my 2008 Redline and blade hit the shroud. Machanic THINKS he has a motor but cant find a blade except for the 2.4 engine. Are they the same/

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The bearings went out on th fan motor on my 2008 Redline and blade hit the shroud. Machanic THINKS he has a motor but cant find a blade except for the 2.4 engine. Are they the same/
Just talked to mechanic. Motor is ok, its just the blade is broken and rubbing. He can find a 2.4 fan but the connector is a three wire connector so wont fit the wiring. Is it possible to jurry rig the thing to use it on the 2.0 engine with the 2 wire plug?

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Just talked to mechanic. Motor is ok, its just the blade is broken and rubbing. He can find a 2.4 fan but the connector is a three wire connector so wont fit the wiring. Is it possible to jurry rig the thing to use it on the 2.0 engine with the 2 wire plug?
The 3-wire motor provides two-speed control using relays, while the 2-wire motor is driven by a variable speed drive. In theory you could connect the high-speed wires from the NA fan motor to the output from the RL's variable speed drive, but I have not heard of anyone doing it, so it might not work.

I'm just curious: What broke the fan?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3-wire motor provides two-speed control using relays, while the 2-wire motor is driven by a variable speed drive. In theory you could connect the high-speed wires from the NA fan motor to the output from the RL's variable speed drive, but I have not heard of anyone doing it, so it might not work.

I'm just curious: What broke the fan?
i have no idea

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is this the one you need? It's the whole fan, motor, and shroud assembly, but that's all I'm pulling up. Rockauto appears to have the best pricing from a quick search for Par #19130227

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hane no iddea how it broke, but its the plastic ring that holds the tips of the blades togther that lost a section. We are thinking it might have been the extreamly cold weather we had here in Feb because that plastic is very brittle.
I wonder if that rock auto fan is just a bolt in replacement?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope so because most of the others are what they call Universal and require that you fasten them in with zip ties. I sure dont want that.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I hope so because most of the others are what they call Universal and require that you fasten them in with zip ties. I sure dont want that.
That part is not described as "Universal", but is listed specifically for the RL/GXP.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope they mean it because I think I will order one on Monday if my mechanic likes it. But I have seen too much of salesmen wanting to make a sale and catalog designers wanting to sell product that will say anything to sell, sell, sell. In the old days you told the truth even if it meant you lost the sale, but you would make it up later with trust and more sales.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts