Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Sky Base Model 2.4L was built in April 2006, so keep this in mind regarding my question.

Looking under my Sky just behind the front bumper, I have a large black plastic shroud that does not seem to be attached properly. It is part #41 in this diagram. It is attached with fasteners in the front to the painted front fascia, but I can easily lift the rearward portion. It does not seem to be attached to anything in the back. It leans against part #35 and/or #42. It is possible my #41 rear mounting ears are broken off. I will need to get the car in my garage on jack stands and evaluate my exact situation.

BUT the plot thickens....

In the diagram below, I do not have part #10 on my Sky. According to on-line data POSTED HERE my Sky should have it. But I wonder if it is a Redline-specific part.

To members who own of a 2007 2.4L Base Sky, would you please look underneath to see if you have part #10, the part POSTED HERE? If you have it, it would be in full view. If you don't, you would see Part #41 above, or #8 below like I have. I would appreciate your effort.

I am staging parts over the winter to tackle in the spring just before the driving season begins. This is one issue I had forgotten about until this week.

I wonder if hitting a bump in the road, some of the noise I have been hearing is part #41 in the first diagram, and #8 in the second diagram, flopping around banging against other plastic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Part #10 #42 are for a turbo car so you don't need them. Part #41 is attached in the front to the bottom of the front bumper cover with screws. There are also 4 10 mm bolts that go in the top of #41 Those are the main bolts that support the part. They go into the bottom of the impact bar. It is common for the top plastic with the 4 bolt holes to be broken if the car has had front end damage or run over a parking bumper.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If I recall correctly there will be 2 push pins in the back of that part one on each corner. The holes are not visible in the above image.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah! Thanks Glenn for your reply. Your picture and description is exactly what I needed for clarity. I will inspect mine and replace it if broken. I hope that a prior owner or technician removed it to perform a repair or maintenance, but failed to reinstall it properly.

My Sky is currently parked outside under my deck for the winter, not exactly ideal for an inspection. Maybe I can lay down, reach up, and "feel" for something broken. Now that I know what it looks like up high, I can "feel inspect" it.

I will report back.

Referencing the first diagram, you said that my Sky does not utilize part #42. Do you think I am supposed to have part #35? I don't recall seeing it, but I was not looking for it either.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yes you should have part #35 All cars have that part. The push pins I referenced earlier go into this part. This part hangs down below the radiator and is easily seen just by knelling down and looking under the front.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I definitely do NOT have part #35 and part #41 is cracked close to the top in multiple places, so I will be needing both parts plus whatever might be associated with them. I wonder what else might be missing or broken but won't know until into the project. Money pit continues to live up to it's name.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well I definitely do NOT have part #35 and part #41 is cracked close to the top in multiple places, so I will be needing both parts plus whatever might be associated with them. I wonder what else might be missing or broken but won't know until into the project. Money pit continues to live up to it's name.
View attachment 114503
From the conversations I've seen, this seems to be a commonly damaged part due to it hanging so low. I imagine people either damage it going over speed humps, ramps, etc. And then they either are removed due to being damaged or possibly even torn off. I understand the need for this air dam on the turbo cars as the intercooler blocks the direct flow of air to the radiator from the front grille and this scoops up air from under the car and diverts it in front of the radiator. Without the intercooler on the NA's isn't there direct flow of air from the front grille into the radiator? Is the air dam just redundant on NA's to allow for more air flow and that's why so many people seem to be driving around without this part?

·
Registered
570 Posts
From the look at the bar in the front of the pic, it looks like the car has kissed its fair share of concrete parking stops. If that bar has battle scars, certainly the plastic trim has been beat up too. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My guess is that has been removed at some point. It does take a lot of abuse because it hangs so low but that is a pretty tough piece it is very flexible and even if it was torn off you would see other parts damaged by the way it bolts to the other parts. It bolts to this part that GM calls a baffle that is the part the funnels air into the radiator. It has two push pins that hold it to the top of the radiator and it connects with the outer holes of the flap. This is the baffle.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Without the intercooler on the NA's isn't there direct flow of air from the front grille into the radiator? Is the air dam just redundant on NA's......
I did a little searching and found a picture of the lower air dam/scoop. "Wow" that thing hangs down exceptionally low. I have been driving my base Sky all this time without it and my temps have been fine. I look through the front grille and see a lot of a/c condenser surface area...no obstructions. I assume there is also a structural purpose of the air dam, not exclusively to direct air up from below. I am thinking of trimming it as much as can be tolerated without a loss of structural integrity.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My guess is that has been removed at some point. It does take a lot of abuse because it hangs so low but that is a pretty tough piece it is very flexible and even if it was torn off you would see other parts damaged by the way it bolts to the other parts. It bolts to this part that GM calls a baffle that is the part the funnels air into the radiator. It has two push pins that hold it to the top of the radiator and it connects with the outer holes of the flap. This is the baffle.

View attachment 114504
Interesting.

I will have to evaluate everything with the car on jack stands come spring time. I just might not add that baffle if I am trimming the low-hanging air dam. One thing certain, I want part #41 in good condition if I am using it. Now I am wondering if I should remove it and do without it too. I will have to think like an aerodynamics engineer.

My Sky sits hibernated for now.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yeah your under carriage has a few scrapes to it. We all do I think.
Parking lot curb stops most likely.
Part #41 could have sustained some damage as a result of this.
It might just need new plastic pins/clips or a replacement bolt here and there.
Tough getting under the front end without jack stands/ ramps isn't it?
Air dam is for the Turbo model because of the IC.
Less than 3 inch clearance, my air dam scrapes some. Bend it forward once in a while.

Hibernating for now.
LAC

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It might just need new plastic pins/clips or a replacement bolt here and there.
Feeling with my hand, the upper portion of part #41 is cracked where the verticals meet the top horizontal. I will either replace it or remove it and see if my coolant temp is affected. One thing certain, I won't be installing the low-hanging air scoop unless I first trim it a lot higher because 3-1/2" of ground clearance is not enough for my comfort.

Like you say, I'll have to raise the front quite high to work on this come spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts