Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you mechanic types have some insight to offer, I need to make some choices. I have $25K on the Mallett upgrade and here are the choices I have come too...keep in mind I am looking to maximize the "Fun" factor, and increased performance while welcome, is secondary.

Here is the base package (plus air cond) that I am getting:

"Preferred" L2 upgrade
Standard Package - $19,995

400 HP V8 LS2 Engine - Rated at 400 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 400 LB-FT @ 4,400 RPM
Air Conditioning (must have come factory with car)
LS2 Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel
Custom Modified Lowered Shocks
New Springs
Control Arm (A-Arm) Bushings
Corsa Stainless Muffler
World famous Mallett body graphics
Mallett graphics embroidered on seat headrests
Show Car Detailing
Mallett serial number plaque
2-year 24,000 mile warranty

My question is for my remaining $5000 I could

A) Get the Mallett custom head and Camshaft upgrade wich adds 100hp to the engine, making it ~500hp

OR

B) Get the 3.73 Limited Slip Differential AND the Twin 3.5" CORSA Touring Exhaust

My gut tells me that the mechanical advange going to the 3.73 from the stock 3.91 even with 100 less horsepower will ballance out, even win out in the 0-60 and sound better with the exhaust. Plus I am worried that the 5 speed trasmission will not be able to take the 500hp engine for long. Am I wrong on this?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

Soooo is this in reality? Or are we speaking hypothetically here?

·
Registered
43 Posts
CyaL8r said:
My question is for my remaining $5000 I could

A) Get the Mallett custom head and Camshaft upgrade wich adds 100hp to the engine, making it ~500hp

OR

B) Get the 3.73 Limited Slip Differential AND the Twin 3.5" CORSA Touring Exhaust

My gut tells me that the mechanical advange going to the 3.73 from the stock 3.91 even with 100 less horsepower will ballance out, even win out in the 0-60 and sound better with the exhaust. Plus I am worried that the 5 speed trasmission will not be able to take the 500hp engine for long. Am I wrong on this?
All things being equal, going from a 3.91 to a 3.73 rear end will result in less Tq to the wheels, thus less acceleration. Top speed would be higher. The only thing that might be 'better' would be a set 0-XXmph time due to the fact that you could hold each gear a bit longer (ie. **** points would be at a higher speed).

·
Registered
802 Posts
Enough fun!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go with the head and cam upgrade for now. The 3.73 or 3.42 gears would help the 1st gear starts but you can always go straight to 2nd gear starts to take care of that. The Corsa exhaust already has dual outlets; just not true duals as your suggested. The current exhaust doesn't hurt the performance at all, and true duals might make the interior noise just too loud.

As far as the 5-speed, you might want to hold out for the Redline 6-speed transmission coming out later next year. You will still need a new bell housing but the gearing would be much better.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:
...6-speed transmission coming out later next year. ...
Where did you hear this? I'd classify this as unsubstantiated rumor... no offense, Del'. Just hate for you to get people's hopes up and have them dashed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
eldeeko said:
Yeah, Right! Like He knows what you are talking about!
Hmm.. for example (assuming 100% axle efficiency, which it isn't...closer to 90%):

TQ(ftlb) 200

Gear 1 2 3 4 5
Ratio 3.75 2.26 1.37 1 0.73
Axle 3.91 3.91 3.91 3.91 3.91
TQ at axle 2932.5 1767.32 1071.34 782 570.86

Axle 3.73 3.73 3.73 3.73 3.73
TQ at axle 2797.5 1685.96 1022.02 746 544.58

More Tq at the axle equates to more Tq at the wheel (I'll let you decide if that is true).

So all this time when people are ordering a performance axle with a higher ratio, they were doing it wrong...

If this would be easier to understand using power instead of torque, let us know.

·
Registered
554 Posts
KappaMan said:
Where did you hear this? I'd classify this as unsubstantiated rumor... no offense, Del'. Just hate for you to get people's hopes up and have them dashed.

Yes, your right that this is just a rumor for now. On January 6 the true facts about the motor and transmission will be released. Please postpone my response until then :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Delnari said:
Yes, your right that this is just a rumor for now. On January 6 the true facts about the motor and transmission will be released. Please postpone my response until then :D
Is your source prepared to eat crow? :lol: :D

Just kidding... but I know you can handle it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea but...

Actually, since I just saw that the Saturn can be ordred with a 3.91 limited Slip Diff, I am thinking that getting the 6-speed tremec with the factory 3.91 LSD is the way to go...Just hope the factory differential can handle the HP. If it is the one from the GMC truck line it should be fine. This assumes they are not just using the same first 5 gear ratios like you listed above and just adding an overdrive gear for 6.

·
Registered
554 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Actually, since I just saw that the Saturn can be ordred with a 3.91 limited Slip Diff, I am thinking that getting the 6-speed tremec with the factory 3.91 LSD is the way to go...Just hope the factory differential can handle the HP. If it is the one from the GMC truck line it should be fine. This assumes they are not just using the same first 5 gear ratios like you listed above and just adding an overdrive gear for 6.

I would recommend swapping the rear from the CTS-V in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heh

Del,
LOL...Thanx...the 3.73 rear differential I spoke about at the top of the post IS the differential used in the CTS-V. The mallet guys do upgrades to the Caddy's as well, so the leverage all the same GM parts! So we have come full circle eh? :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer request

Delnari,
BTW, I know that you as a dealer have worked out some preliminary things with Mallett to show your V8. My Saturn dealer has asked if it would be possible to display my car completed V8 Sky for a day/weekend or whatever. My question to you would be at this point in the pre-order/order process (they have my $500 down payment) what would be reasonable for me to ask in return for allowing them to display my car to generate customer traffic?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eldeeko,
MSRP on a 2006 vette is $45-65k. Other roadsters like the Z4 clock in at $40-50K, even an S2000 loaded is over $35k. The only other V8 roadster option is the Mercedes SLK 350 AMG coming in at over $65k and they are built to order...so you wait for 6 mo after your non refundable deposit. $45k for a car that will out perform all of them is very reasonable.

Can't wait hear your useful value add comments...

·
Registered
554 Posts
CyaL8r said:
Delnari,
BTW, I know that you as a dealer have worked out some preliminary things with Mallett to show your V8. My Saturn dealer has asked if it would be possible to display my car completed V8 Sky for a day/weekend or whatever. My question to you would be at this point in the pre-order/order process (they have my $500 down payment) what would be reasonable for me to ask in return for allowing them to display my car to generate customer traffic?
I always enjoy reading comments from those who believe the Mallett V8 is a pipe dream. To those who doubt please read the upcoming Car and Driver test drive of my old Solstice. Wow! "My old Solstice", time is really flying by...

Not sure if asking for money is the way to go. I found that getting discounts and service a better way to proceed as it doesn't cost them upfront and helps promote your relationship with the dealership. But hey, that's me, I'm in it for the fun and relationships I can form.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mallett advertizing

I guess indirect advertizing works - Why not just link to Mallett?

Nothing Personal! Just my opinion..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check out this Monday's "Auto Week" magazine. My old Solstice is the cover story, Mallett V8 Solstice. If someone here has a subscription they could post the article earlier than Monday over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
eldeeko said:
ALaG8R,
You still must be smokin' somethin'. This car isn't even in production yet and you have made all of the modifications to make it one of the fastest (straight line) cars on the road. The 50-50 weight distribution would be totally screwed up for any road racing. Kind of visualize the Studebaker Avanti on the track (mostly off of it) due to this defect. Besides I would like to see those mods crammed into that little compartment without major work to the firewall area. Let's see, maybe 18 months from first Sky delivery someone might even try it, but it is still just a pipe-dream which will (in my opinion) never get off the ground.
I have to comment on this...

eldeeko, how come all of the sudden you are comming so strong against CyaL8r? Yes, he/she could be blowing smoke up our back pipe but hell, what if he/she is not? If CyaL8r has the resources to do the Mallet COnversion to his/her Sky then, good for him/her. I wish I had that kind of cash. :cheers:

Didn't Del said that the there was still a 50/50 weigh distribution with the Mallet Sol? :eek:

I just don't see where all the aggresiveness and defensiveness is comming from, unless I missed something here. :willy:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts