Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I went into the local dealer today to get a brochure and to see what they know about the redline, and saw a regular sky in graphite with black interior (exactly the colors I wanted), standard transmission, leather (Premuim trim package), spoiler, XM and 6 CD, limited slip diff and 18inch chrome-plated allow wheels. Plus it has some other junk, like LoJack, some kind of coating on the outside and some interior protection.

It's available right now, and I put a refundable deposit on it.

Here is the problem. They are marking it up 9% over MSRP base price. All together it's going to cost $30,409!

I am trying to decide if I should take it or wait for the redline. At first I was thinking of waiting, but that's probably the entire summer. Then it occured to me I could trade up in a year or so, but at this price that might be expensive.

Also, I don't know how the performance of this will be.

I need to decide tomorrow. Suggestions?

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Is your dealer going to add mark-ups to the RL as well? If you can get them to agree and sign at MSRP and only the options you want to be added, I personally would wait for the RL. The loaded RL im ordering after tax is around 33k. To me the price difference is well worth it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they will add 9% to the RL as well. Of course, there are other dealers and I don't mind driving. How long would the wait be?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ask yourself these questions:

1. will I be satisfied with the base Sky ?
2. will I spend money upgrading its performance because I really wanted a Redline ??
3. when people compliment me on my gorgeous new Sky will I say "yeah, its nice - I really wanted a redline but they had this one on the lot and ....."
4. If you wait scenarios - You might be waiting a really, really long time for a Redline.........

The base Sky is GORGEOUS!!!! the redline is the same dang car but with more HP - same gorgeous factor. With the Sky it is not a huge difference between the base and redline like it is with some other cars. Long story short either version is Awesome, you just need to be satisfied. A Sky is a real head turner no matter what size the engine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Is the performance on the base sky okay? I remember the first SLKs had medocere performance and people hated them. Also, is this price really horrid or just a bit high?

Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
jarcher said:
Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Is the performance on the base sky okay? I remember the first SLKs had medocere performance and people hated them. Also, is this price really horrid or just a bit high?

Thanks!
Lots of folks have purchased their cars for MSRP without any type of "market adjustment". I have my pricing in writing with MSRP and no add on guaranteed, it is do-able. I beleive that your geographical local has a lot to do with mark ups (help me out here guys....)

We could give you a better idea of "okay performance" if you told us what other cars you have owned and enjoyed. If you have always drove an 8 cyl. with lots of HP better wait on the redline version, if not everyone says the base is really peppy and a real road hugging son of a gun that handles like its on "rails". And if you are getting a manual tranny you can make her get up and go.:D

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I am getting my Sky at MSRP with no markups. As far as waiting for the RL, if you think you will be unhappy with the base Sky then wait for the Redline. But remember these are roadsters not High performance muscle cars. You may not beat the muscle cars on the straight track but throw in a couple of hairpin turns and watch out!:thumbs:

·
Registered
388 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Lots of folks have purchased their cars for MSRP without any type of "market adjustment". I have my pricing in writing with MSRP and no add on guaranteed, it is do-able. I beleive that your geographical local has a lot to do with mark ups (help me out here guys....)

We could give you a better idea of "okay performance" if you told us what other cars you have owned and enjoyed. If you have always drove an 8 cyl. with lots of HP better wait on the redline version, if not everyone says the base is really peppy and a real road hugging son of a gun that handles like its on "rails". And if you are getting a manual tranny you can make her get up and go.:D
:agree: I am getting MSRP for my car also. They also wanted to add alot of dealer extras but I refused to buy the car so they didn't add anything on that I didn't want. $30,409 seems like alot for the car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again everyone. My thinking was that it was pretty high as well, pricewise. I'm in Rhode Island and I have no idea what other local dealers might sell the car for. There is only one dealer in RI but MA and CT are a short ride. They told me that no Sky has ever sat on their floor for more than 3 days, even with the 9% markup. I don't know if it's true or not, but I guess it's possible.

Decisions decisions...

I'f I'm willing to travel is it possible to get a Sky for MSRP without ordering one?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
jarcher said:
I'f I'm willing to travel is it possible to get a Sky for MSRP without ordering one?
Depending on where you travel you might not be able to get a SKY for MSRP even if you DO order one. I know out here in California they're pretty hot items, and the wait lists are long.

You can get one quick, or you can get one cheap... Getting one quick and cheap could be problematic. As for me, I went for "quick" and haven't regretted a single minute of it. But when you're in California, how can you look out the window and say, "Gosh, what a beautiful day... I wish I had my SKY now..."

I don't do that. I go for a drive.:driving:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, fair enough. Is MSRP considered cheap? I see these listed on Ebay for $35,000! So it seems if I pay $30,000 and I don't like it, I could turn it over for what I paid fairly easily?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, but remember more of these cars will be around and the first push to get one will start to die off, and you may not be able to fetch such a high price... I would try to get MSRP somewhere else, you might find another base Sky somewhere at MSRP and regret making this purchase! Go look around and see what you can find :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
jarcher said:
Okay, fair enough. Is MSRP considered cheap? I see these listed on Ebay for $35,000! So it seems if I pay $30,000 and I don't like it, I could turn it over for what I paid fairly easily?
Yes, I would say MSRP is as cheap as you are going to get. There is absolutely no reason for a Saturn Dealer to discount below MSRP which is their policy in general, and ridiculous to even contemplate with a car that will sell within hours of its availability on their lot.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again... How long do you figure it will be before the value of these sinks? Just a few weeks or do you think it will hold through the summer? I'm not looking to turn a profit, just to get an idea of what it would cost to get out of the car if I decide I don't like it...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Great Performance

ineedmorebotox said:
Ask yourself these questions:

1. will I be satisfied with the base Sky ?
2. will I spend money upgrading its performance because I really wanted a Redline ??
3. when people compliment me on my gorgeous new Sky will I say "yeah, its nice - I really wanted a redline but they had this one on the lot and ....."
4. If you wait scenarios - You might be waiting a really, really long time for a Redline.........

The base Sky is GORGEOUS!!!! the redline is the same dang car but with more HP - same gorgeous factor. With the Sky it is not a huge difference between the base and redline like it is with some other cars. Long story short either version is Awesome, you just need to be satisfied. A Sky is a real head turner no matter what size the engine.
I am getting great performance from my Sky with NO Mods.
Ask yourself this "What is my REAL 'Need for Speed'?"
If you are more into Crusin' and enjoying the ride, like me, then the base is just fine.:thumbs: If you are more of a "racer," decide what Mods you might want or if the RL will be fine the way it comes from the factory.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
jarcher said:
Thanks again... How long do you figure it will be before the value of these sinks? Just a few weeks or do you think it will hold through the summer? I'm not looking to turn a profit, just to get an idea of what it would cost to get out of the car if I decide I don't like it...
I've had two people offer to buy mine out from under me for every penny I paid for it. That's without even trying. How long will that last? I can't say. But there are dealers requiring that if anybody sells their new SKY they are required by contract to sell them back to the dealership. Makes me think that the dealers won't have a problem selling used ones for a bit...

There are a lot of people who still have never seen any promos for the SKY. They see mine, and it's the first they've heard of it. I have had people actually say, "Saturn? Is that Italian? German? What?" People don't even know the brand, so the car passed completely under their radar. Well they are starting to see them now, and they are asking how they can get one.

Call me silly, but I actually see demand going UP for a bit before it settles down. And it could stay up for quite a while, since Saturn is planning to keep the production numbers low... There are no guarantees, my friend, but I would think that resale value retention on this car is better than most and likely to stay that way for quite a while.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys have all been a HUGE help and I really appreciate it! I think I am going to pick this car up tomorrow as planned. The extras are expensive, but if they actually inhibit chips and little paint dings from occuring in the front then that's not so bad. I would probably not choose Lojack but I guess that can't hurt either.

The car is the color I want and has the other options I want, and it's available now. I think I'll go for it. If I decide I want a RL I guess I can always trade up! Heck, I can find a dealer who will take a RL order and commit to MSRP and a plane ticket does not cost all that much. It would be a darn shame if I had to drive a brand new RL home from a distant dealer :cheers:

I just hope these extras are not too much of a waste. Normally I would skip these but the dealer insists that they are already installed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You'll love it.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I would never pay a mark up on the Solstice or Sky. There are good dealership's out there selling at MSRP you just have to look for them.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
jarcher said:
Right away you would loose just about any mark up over MSRP as soon as you drive off the lot for a trade value. And if you see ebay, they are selling for very close to MSRP plus what you would of paid in tax. The last time I checked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts