Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went 4200 yesterday... woohoo for me!!
anyway, it also went 4800 yesterday. Now, from what I understand... 4800 means "rail ramp unload" which I thought meant being unloaded from the train after its long journey across country.

I don't think that it is possible if it shipped 5/9 to make it to cali in 1 day!!! so either its just a mistake or 4800 means something else.

do they ever stop enroute and unload from the train and reload to another train? could that be what 4800 means in this case? "rail ramp unload" then reloaded on a different train?

If I want to dream a little, I could assume it actually shipped on 5/1 or 5/2 when it was available to be shipped and is actually here in Cali now and that the codes were just delayed in the system!!! (I know, its a pipe dream)

anyone with any insight please share.

·
Registered
42 Posts
tic tic tic

Sounds like more and more are getting theirs - where's mine???????

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
SteveP said:
Sounds like more and more are getting theirs - where's mine???????

Steve...where in IL are you? I'm waiting on my Silver Automatic too. :D

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Just to let ya know, my dealer said that on the last Sky he got, it said rail unramp the day AFTER it was delivered to him. Makes no sense. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
received this info from our friends at the Sol forum---

"You will see a number of 4800 and 4B00 (that's a "bee") as the car makes it way to the unload site where the car transport picks it up for delivery to final stop at dealers.

Each time the rail car is stopped at a siding or rail yard for inclusion in a new train setup, the code goes to 4B00 or 4800. Depending on where you are located, this can go on for a couple of day or a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps. It will be with you soon, wait is worth it!"

so it appears that as it makes stops along the way, your status can bounce back and forth between "bayed" status and shipped status.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
USMC..My dealer just call, the SKY built the week of 4/24/06 showed up yesterday?? it took less than 10 days to get to Birminham AL, by rail then Trucked to Pensacola FL, thats fast.....mine could be in town next week.....Seal9:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seal9 said:
USMC..My dealer just call, the SKY built the week of 4/24/06 showed up yesterday?? it took less than 10 days to get to Birminham AL, by rail then Trucked to Pensacola FL, thats fast.....mine could be in town next week.....Seal9:willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheers:
holy smokies!!! it seems deliveries are really picking up for the March imagers... skys arriving everywhere!

you might have me beat! I'm guessing that mine will be here near the weekend of 5/20. but thats just a guess.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I guess it all depends on where you live. 3 weeks ago today car paid for and not here.....:banghead: :brentil:

·
Registered
122 Posts
don't forget that the locator on Workbench is usually always behind, so it doesn't surprise me when a car which shows 4200 shows up a day later. nothing like a surprise huh?:willy:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
More info from the always knowledgeable Sol guys----

The 4b00 Bayed first happens in Wilmington, DE when it is parked waiting to load onto the train. There will be more 4b00s whenever it is unloaded and loaded.

CSX Railroad takes it to Lordstown, OH, where it gets a 4800 Rail Ramp Unload.

it gets put on another train going to either Chicago or St Louis, where it gets another 4800 Rail Ramp Unload and transferred to Union Pacific.

That should be the last time for 4800 until it reaches CA.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Very cool USMC you did good......Got my shorty header today...now only need the car....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
usmc said:
More info from the always knowledgeable Sol guys----

The 4b00 Bayed first happens in Wilmington, DE when it is parked waiting to load onto the train. There will be more 4b00s whenever it is unloaded and loaded.

CSX Railroad takes it to Lordstown, OH, where it gets a 4800 Rail Ramp Unload.

it gets put on another train going to either Chicago or St Louis, where it gets another 4800 Rail Ramp Unload and transferred to Union Pacific.

That should be the last time for 4800 until it reaches CA.

Assuming I have a Sky coming to the Chicago area...once that train hits Chicago, are they then put on the car haulers? I live just outside Chicago...and am just wondering how many steps are involved once the train unloads here.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
Assuming I have a Sky coming to the Chicago area...once that train hits Chicago, are they then put on the car haulers? I live just outside Chicago...and am just wondering how many steps are involved once the train unloads here.
At Tinley I was told all the SKYs are left at the Chicago Heights yard. They MUST be moved out within 48 hours (don't know what happens if they are not). So partial loads are fine for the local haulers. But I'd imagine if they had 6-10 (I think 10 is a full load) spread out for the Saturn dealers around Chicago, they'd just drive from dealer to dealer dropping off what was theirs.
I live near a Dodge Dealer and often see carriers unload 2-3 cars there and motor on down to the next guy....
We should find out what the route is and if they go out to you first -- look for my Yellow - or I'll keep an eye out for your Silver Pearl....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rick Tinley Park said:
At Tinley I was told all the SKYs are left at the Chicago Heights yard. They MUST be moved out within 48 hours (don't know what happens if they are not). So partial loads are fine for the local haulers. But I'd imagine if they had 6-10 (I think 10 is a full load) spread out for the Saturn dealers around Chicago, they'd just drive from dealer to dealer dropping off what was theirs.
I live near a Dodge Dealer and often see carriers unload 2-3 cars there and motor on down to the next guy....
We should find out what the route is and if they go out to you first -- look for my Yellow - or I'll keep an eye out for your Silver Pearl....
:agree: This is how I understand the local delivery also.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Re: Car Carriers

Just an interjection here:

Regarding the car carriers - from what I recall with our cars sitting so low there are only a few carriers that are capable of handling them. Therefore it may take a little longer than what is expected to just run out to the rail yard, pick them up, and deliver them to the dealerships.

Has something to do with the loading ramps I believe.

Maybe deluke can jump in here and help me out!
(or if I have time I'll go looking over on *the other side* for that post info :))

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
HA HA HA!!! :lol: Can you just see it? Both of us chasing down the car hauler as it leaves the Chicago Heights trainyard. :D :willy: :jester:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts