Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Kappa Komrades!

We are having an extra special lunch of the NEO group planned next Saturday, 2/7.
Time: 1 pm
Place:
Fat Head's Brewery and Saloon
24581 Lorain Road
North Olmsted, OH

We have 10 brave Sols (& Skys) joining us so far! Please post if you can attend as I will need to call ahead!

Fat Head's has a large selection of foods and beverages. The plates are huge and the food is very good as well as their brews...which they brew on site!

Hope you can join us!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Working for the Man

Sounds like fun, but I'll be at E9th and Prospect splicing fiber cable for the man, if you drive by, toot the horn and wave... got to pay for those new coil overs before spring... :cheers:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fun, but I'll be at E9th and Prospect splicing fiber cable for the man, if you drive by, toot the horn and wave... got to pay for those new coil overs before spring... :cheers:
That's sucky! A couple people I know work right in that area. I'll tell them to wave!

We might do another one before running season starts. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Do I have to be a group member? Or am I automatically invited as a Sky owner? I work in Beechwood...
NEO Kappas is pretty informal when it comes to membership, heck, they even let guys like me attend their events.

If you want to swing by for lunch, leave a message here for ihawk95 so she gets a table big enough to seat the whole crowd.

:dthumbs:

·
7,019 Posts
NEO Kappas is pretty informal when it comes to membership, heck, they even let guys like me attend their events.

If you want to swing by for lunch, leave a message here for ihawk95 so she gets a table big enough to seat the whole crowd.

Whats a guy from Wisconsin doing filling his basket in the state of Ohio? :lol:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Whats a guy from Wisconsin doing filling his basket in the state of Ohio? :lol:
These are the guys/gals that did the first ever midwest Kappa get together in March 2006. A bunch of us "early adopters" drove our Solstices out there for a weekend of fun. Heck, we even met an engineer from GM driving a pre-production Sky! I've gone to a bunch of their runs over the years. They are a good bunch of people.

·
7,019 Posts
These are the guys/gals that did the first ever midwest Kappa get together in March 2006. A bunch of us "early adopters" drove our Solstices out there for a weekend of fun. Heck, we even met an engineer from GM driving a pre-production Sky! I've gone to a bunch of their runs over the years. They are a good bunch of people.

So are you Dave, to run that far to meet with them! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do I have to be a group member? Or am I automatically invited as a Sky owner? I work in Beechwood...
You are automatically invited. We are not a closed group by any means and we have no true membership other than a core group of 5 of us who usually plan our events.

If you own a kappa, owned a kappa, want to own a kappa, or don't care about a kappa, but want to hang out with a group of people that like to get together a few times a year and drive on the crazy roads of SE Ohio and then have a goofy party on Saturday night (although we do ask you have a car that can drive twisties with us), then you are more than welcome to join us anytime you'd like!

Let me know if you will swing by. Fat Head's will not take a reservation so I will have to go early to put our group in and have them set up for us. Which I don't mind as I only live 5 minutes away and that will give me time to enjoy their beer selection! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So are you Dave, to run that far to meet with them! :thumbs:
Hell, I used to drive regularly from Illinois which was 6 to 7-1/2 hours depending on where we were meeting and I considered myself a NEO. And yes...I did that for a NEO lunch one weekend in January about 4 or 5 years ago! Dave was a sweep for the first T2TR run I did. :) I remember him directing everyone where to go in Marietta!

Yeah...Wisconsin is nothing. Last year we had people from Georgia, South Carolina, Chicago, Mississippi, and Canada attend our events. As well as the "locals" from Ohio and Michigan. Usually we have a few from New Jersey come. It is not uncommon for us to have people from 12-16 hours away come to our events.

We will have some driving about 3 hours away for lunch Saturday. But we have special guests therefore some are making a special trip. :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Hell, I used to drive regularly from Illinois which was 6 to 7-1/2 hours depending on where we were meeting and I considered myself a NEO. And yes...I did that for a NEO lunch one weekend in January about 4 or 5 years ago! Dave was a sweep for the first T2TR run I did. :) I remember him directing everyone where to go in Marietta!
:)
You were in my group? I think that was one of the last times I ever did sweep. Remember the oriental guy, Hao Lee, that joined us at the rest stop where we all got together, that flipped his Solstice on his way home the next day? I had to put up with him the entire day. He'd let a huge gap open up between himself and the rest of the group, then he'd go like a greyhound with its tail on fire until he caught up with the rest of the group, then he'd let a huge gap develop again, then repeat the charge. He did that for the entire T2TR. I was exhausted when we got to the end.

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - Twisting To The River (T2TR) 7/28/2007

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - May my Sol R.I.P (my T2TR II part 2)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You were in my group? I think that was one of the last times I ever did sweep. Remember the oriental guy, Hao Lee, that joined us at the rest stop where we all got together, that flipped his Solstice on his way home the next day? I had to put up with him the entire day. He'd let a huge gap open up between himself and the rest of the group, then he'd go like a greyhound with its tail on fire until he caught up with the rest of the group, then he'd let a huge gap develop again, then repeat the charge. He did that for the entire T2TR. I was exhausted when we got to the end.

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - Twisting To The River (T2TR) 7/28/2007

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - May my Sol R.I.P (my T2TR II part 2)
I didn't start out in your group, but I got moved into it...maybe after the bio break. There was some flip flopping around since Cat got the wrench in her tire. I started out behind ZolSol, but ended up with you guys. I remember you were by the stoplight in Marietta trying to get everyone to make the turn. You could have been in the group ahead of me, but I don't think so because I seem to remember you in the back and then directing traffic through town to get to 555.

And I completely remember him! He was sleeping on a park bench at the rest area off I-70 waiting for us. We were all like "Who's that guy?!?" And then he flipped the car on the way home and still drove that car home!! That was crazy!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Dave, I was in front of him. That's me in his pictures!! His shutterfly link in the first link you posted is still good! I can see my IL plates on my car. This was before Cookie Monster! So I was definitely in your group! I was probably why he kept doing slowing down and speeding up because that was my first run ever!!! Ha ha!!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I didn't start out in your group, but I got moved into it...maybe after the bio break. There was some flip flopping around since Cat got the wrench in her tire. I started out behind ZolSol, but ended up with you guys. I remember you were by the stoplight in Marietta trying to get everyone to make the turn. You could have been in the group ahead of me, but I don't think so because I seem to remember you in the back and then directing traffic through town to get to 555.

And I completely remember him! He was sleeping on a park bench at the rest area off I-70 waiting for us. We were all like "Who's that guy?!?" And then he flipped the car on the way home and still drove that car home!! That was crazy!
From the start at the rest area, we were the last group. When Cat had the flat, I remember passing by with her and Wartie on the side of the road. A while later, as I was pulling away from a stop sign. I looked in the rear view, and Wartie had caught up to our group after Cat had gotten her car flatbedded off. I waved him around and the two of us spent the rest of the run catching up to Hao whenever he'd take off and go like heck.

I remember that day as being a long, long day for me, as I can't drive over those blind drops without lifting and hitting the brake.

It goes all the way back to my 5 years at Oberlin. I had a '67 Firebird convertible and was running late, and fast, when I crested one of those drop offs, and the headlights picked up a herd of cows crossing the road at the bottom of the dip. I jammed on the brakes, but was momentarily airborne and all 4 wheels locked. Then I landed, flat spotted all 4 tires and barely stopped before hitting beef. I had to replace all 4 tires the next day.

I've never done 555 again, though I enjoy all the other runs out of Newcomerstown.

Later!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's right...I knew you'd had a run in with a blind rise before, but couldn't remember the story.

Now that I've driven that road so much...and had to lead it in the drizzle last fall, there is only one or 2 blind rises that trip me up. Last fall was kinda nice to be slowed down from the rain so I had a chance to figure out the best way to take it. One of those veers off to the left just a touch. I always know it's coming, but I never remember exactly where. You don't want to mess it up with a group behind you. I got it right last fall.
The other one is the launching pad that has gotten all 4 tires off the ground and bottomed out a few cars. I slow down for that one! The 2 aren't that far apart...and during the first 30 minutes or so on the road.

We tried a couple of new runs last fall that weren't so horribly long. I love T2TR, except for the fact you are on it all day long. I'd rather go out for 2 or 3 hours and then come back and relax because I find I'm so fried after an all day affair with T2TR and it's not a run you want to be tired on. Anyway, if we do it, I'm trying to get the groups to do it Friday and then do a short run Saturday. Gives us more time to make foods and enjoy ourselves after spending Friday on the white knuckle stuffs!

One of these days, if the stars align and the timing is good, you'll have to give us a visit again! I'm trying to make the Dells the weekend before!! :)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
That's right...I knew you'd had a run in with a blind rise before, but couldn't remember the story.
. . . .
. . . .
One of these days, if the stars align and the timing is good, you'll have to give us a visit again! I'm trying to make the Dells the weekend before!! :)
One of these days I might. I like to do some of the shorter runs too. Since the powers that be in organizing the Dells and I had some disagreements about the length and distances for the Dells runs, I haven't been real involved in the weekend for quite a while other than to show up every so often, it's a long story best untold.

·
7,019 Posts
Looks like you guys has tons of fun..
I guess it was that way early in the Kappa existence. Owners wanting to meet other owners so they travel long ways...

Notice in one of the pictures in that link it has the famous #44 in the middle of the pack.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like you guys has tons of fun..
I guess it was that way early in the Kappa existence. Owners wanting to meet other owners so they travel long ways...

Notice in one of the pictures in that link it has the famous #44 in the middle of the pack.

Nice on the 44!

Nope...we still get new people traveling long distances. Last year we had a couple from Georgia that hadn't come run with us before. We had a Z06 from Canada the year before that (friend of another kappa). We almost always have someone traveling 6-8 hours in the spring and then 12-16 hours in the fall to come have fun with us!

I'm sure it's because I give out silly awards! The Kappa Kup last fall was hilarious! :willy:

We may have 2 medium or large events this year. We have a few dear friends struggling with some significant health issues, so we are at the ready incase we need to rally the troops and help support them! :thumbs:
Depending on how things go, I'll pump up the spring event and get everyone here for support just in case. Otherwise, the first weekend in October will be our bigger event with the theme this year "Disco Inferno: Burn Baby, Burn!"
Only because I want to see DW show up on Roller Skates! :jester: And it is T2TR #10.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts