Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Sky and Solstice seat skins are interchangeable but I need confirmation from the "knowledge pool" here. I searched the forum but could not find a definitive answer.

I found a supplier for leather Solstice seats skins, offering them for $450. He says he needs my OEM seat skins to make a pattern for my Sky, but I am thinking he does not realize the Solstice skins are the same. But am I right? Are they interchangeable? I am thinking I should just tell him I own a Solstice. I was going to ask him to make me a set exactly like the skins pictured here that I bought four years ago for $675 from a different supplier for a Solstice project I did for someone else. I liked the way they turned out, the perforated leather insets and black thread. Looking at my Sky, I don't care for the white thread that shows dirt, age, and amplifies general distortion.

My current leather skins are hard and crusty in places and missing a bit of "surface" in the driver bolster (maybe that piece is vinyl), just cracked and fell out, not from abrasion. I think being outside in the southern heat wrecked them. I considered taking them to a leather restorer, but new leather skins would be doing it right. I'd order another set from the same supplier but I am trying to save the $225. This Sky of mine has become a money pit.

·
Super Moderator
5,533 Posts
I have not heard of a difference between them outside of the color of the stitching for some and the embroidered logos on others. I know that the complete seats will interchange, but do not know of anyone who has tried to switch the covers.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Also, in the FWIW category, the only parts of the seats that are leather are the "seating surfaces". All the rest is vinyl. Also, as far as I know, the Solstice and Sky seats are the same under the skins.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You need to periodically treat the leather portions or you will just repeat the process in a few years. There is a product called Leather Honey that is quite effective - I have brought back British sports car seats that were hard and stiff and would have cracked if you used them although it took a couple of weeks of treatment.

You can also get the worn seats surface dyed if you like - check with any restoration shop in your area. Any decent upholstery shop can replace a single panel for you if the rest of the seat can be restored.

If all else fails, the price you were quoted sounds pretty decent.

Maybe put up an ad asking for decent seat covers - you might get lucky as some owners want custom covers done and can sell their perfectly good stock ones to someone like you, in need of them. I bought a spare set of leather covers for my coupe as I have the rarer cloth seats,, which are more comfortable but also a bit more subject to wear.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
The only difference I can think of is on the driver side. Some cars didn't have the electric seat option. I agree on doing the thread black, unless you had a Hydro Blue or Red set up with red thread.

When I did my seats, I did yellow with black thread even thru the yellow. I figured it would get dirty and that black would not show the dirt as bad. After two years, I am certain I made the right choice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just placed my order today on 3/3/2020 with THIS EBAY SUPPLIER for new leather seat skins. He claims they have the Sky pattern. Cost to me will be $399 plus $38 shipping. The leather seats will be as pictured and will include the following.
  • Real leather for every surface including sides, back, and storage pockets.
  • Perforated leather used as shown in the picture below.
  • Lacking the decorative oval stitching pattern in the head rests. (my headrest areas are flat, not tumored forward)
  • 100% black leather including black thread stitching.
I will keep everyone updated along the way with pictures.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For reference, here are my original seats. The leather is stiff, the pockets are distorted, there is damage on the driver seat backrest and the worst is the passenger seat base has leather that is real hard and crusty feeling.

Here you get a good look at the head rests. I won't miss the decorative oval stitching. I always thought it was a bit tacking looking anyway.

Here is the passenger seat base where I feel the worst of the aging process occurred. The front of the bottom is almost like stone and very rough-feeling. The distorted pockets just add to the ugly.

I wanted 100% leather, no vinyl, because of people's experiences in the RV industry. Ever since the great recession of 2009, all vinyl seating material has been imported from China. The material breaks down after 5 years. So I figure it is much safer to spec 100% leather for my Sky.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you don't periodically treat any leather seat it will end up like those stock seats. Leather requires maintenance - regularly. Given that, the seats should last for many years.

I have brought back 40 year old seats that were so dry they would have cracked if you sat on them. It took awhile, but they worked out very well.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
What he said. Pretty sure you can R&R those seats back to new. Just need to condition and possibly apply black shoe dye.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Amazing on the leather story. My upholster says to never put it in a convertible, says to use Marine grade vinyl for much longer lasting and beauty. He charges more for Marine grade seats than he does for leather. He is known all over SoCal for building interiors in SEMA cars and street rods.

Agree that buying anything on Ebay is a guess at best, and I have done it, but would much prefer to have it done close to home, where I can check on it. Unfortunately for the auto world, Jim is getting close to retiring, so I am having him make me a set of Red and Black covers.

As to leather being better, GM only uses leather, and very low quality, on the seating are of our cars. It drying and getting brittle on the sides may become a problem. Now if the top stays up and it isn't outside it will be fine. Like others have said, leather requires maintenance and to keep it perfect, and a lot of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Amazing on the leather story. My upholster says to never put it in a convertible, says to use Marine grade vinyl for much longer lasting and beauty. He charges more for Marine grade seats than he does for leather. He is known all over SoCal for building interiors in SEMA cars and street rods.
Mine still looks amazing. :D Which reminds me, I need to get in touch with Jim.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because they are not a stock item, the vendor said 3 to 4 weeks from March 4th before I get them. That's okay, I won't be ready to do anything with the seats until then anyway.

I will be selling my original leather seat covers on Ebay to recoup some costs. I already took many pictures of them on the seats for the ad.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
As to leather being better, GM only uses leather, and very low quality, on the seating are of our cars. It drying and getting brittle on the sides may become a problem.
Any leather is at risk if not properly cared for. People who own both classic and modern cars with leather regularly use special products to ensure longevity.

We can use those products on the Kappas. Either OEM or aftermarket.

In the aftermarket I like Connolly's, Lexol and Leather Honey.

Leather, if properly cared for, is much more durable than either plastic or fabric. In fact the only reason some vintage seats need work is that the stitching perishes, not the leather. I am still using the factory leather seats in one of my cars, a 1971, while another one, a 1965 had issues with the stitching thread getting friable.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Mine look exactly like the day he installed them, of course the damned car sat for nearly two years with the Turbo fiasco.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OP here,

Pertaining to my 2007 Sky base.

I just got a message from the eBay leather seat skin supplier. My Sky leather seat skins were just shipped out and are on their way. I also have a power driver seat base assembly (electric height adjustment) on it's way from Matthew. Between the additional seat height adjustment feature along with new leather, I hope to feel much better driving Money-Pit.

I will try to post pictures along the way of items received, prices paid, and processes followed. I will start a new thread rather than expanding on this one. It will be easier for newcomers.....and me too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My new $399 (+$38 shipping) eBay leather seat skins arrived today. I ordered them on March 4th, and they arrived on March 26th from eBay seller leatherseats11. If they fit as good as they look, it will have been money well spent. These are 100% real leather throughout with a sewn backing behind most surfaces for fullness. They have all the zippers and plastic clips for easy attachment like the OEM ones have. They also have the inside Velcro to capture the fit to the seat cushion like OEM. Hopefully this will go fairly smooth as I had in the past including a Solstice, Corvette, and Liberty.

I just unpackaged them and straightened them out as best I could for these quick pics. The wrinkles are from being vacu-packed.

I requested the perforated leather in the places shown.

Perforation here too.

They have backrest storage pockets like OEM, but maybe not the exact same size.

The storage pockets for the seat base fronts consider the power seat height adjustment switch for both the driver and passenger seats, something that is not reality for the passenger side. Here you also get a glimpse of the backing material.

The supplier told me up front that their headrests will lack the extra stitching that OEM has. I never cared for that anyway so I welcomed their deviation.

The leather has an aggressive grain to it. It is not smooth leather.

I will try to keep you posted during the project and also post pics of the results.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Given the change in direction of this subject, I just now re-titled this thread but can't yet fix my opening statement due to forum limitations.

·
Super Moderator
5,533 Posts
Given the change in direction of this subject, I just now re-titled this thread but can't yet fix my opening statement due to forum limitations.
Its odd. I think you (as a member) are supposed to be able to edit content, but not titles. Oh, well. Tell me what you want changed and i will do it for you.

The seat covers look nice. Please post pictures after installation. My RL has the two-tone style and I really don't like it. This may be the option I choose.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can edit my posts, but am limited to how many per week. Apparently I like to edit my posts too much. Here is the message I get.

"You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days"

My edit would be severe, eliminating most reference to Solstice, just focus on Sky seats.

I reupholstered a Solstice for someone else a few years ago. I took a picture of the project when I was done. I tried and tried to remove all the wrinkles, but just could not make it perfect from the get-go. I was told a day in the hot sun would take care of it. But I never seen the car afterward. I really liked the all black look with perforated insets, always thought if I owned a Solstice or Sky needing new leather, the all black (including stitching) looked exceptional....very clean, sleek.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts