Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
You must have gotten the last set because I cant find him now. My original are ok except that today I found the surface if the vinyl next to the door is missing a 2" x 2" black square. Just happend !

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi BlueRL,

The eBay seller made them to my specifications. They were not a stock item of his, so you won't find them on eBay. Search for Pontiac Solstice seats and contact leatherseats11 through eBay and give him your specific request for a Saturn Sky. He has the Sky pattern (so he says) so he should be able to make a set with the material and colors you want. I will find out in the coming weeks how good their fit and form is.

Make sure to tell the eBay seller the price of $399 +$38 shipping. His ad for the Solstice seats are more money, even though I think they are the exact same seat skins. He said the Sky seats are $399 and that is what I paid. I told him I will pass that price to other Sky forum members, and so here I am doing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just placed my order today on 3/3/2020 with THIS EBAY SUPPLIER for new leather seat skins. He claims they have the Sky pattern. Cost to me will be $399 plus $38 shipping. The leather seats will be as pictured and will include the following.
  • Real leather for every surface including sides, back, and storage pockets.
  • Perforated leather used as shown in the picture below.
  • Lacking the decorative oval stitching pattern in the head rests. (my headrest areas are flat, not tumored forward)
  • 100% black leather including black thread stitching.
I will keep everyone updated along the way with pictures.
View attachment 112061
I can edit my posts, but am limited to how many per week. Apparently I like to edit my posts too much. Here is the message I get.

"You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days"

My edit would be severe, eliminating most reference to Solstice, just focus on Sky seats.

I reupholstered a Solstice for someone else a few years ago. I took a picture of the project when I was done. I tried and tried to remove all the wrinkles, but just could not make it perfect from the get-go. I was told a day in the hot sun would take care of it. But I never seen the car afterward. I really liked the all black look with perforated insets, always thought if I owned a Solstice or Sky needing new leather, the all black (including stitching) looked exceptional....very clean, sleek.
View attachment 112227

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have a 2009 Saturn Sky (Ruby Red) and was wanting to replace the seat skins. I look forward to seeing the finished product when you install your skins. I recently relocated to Poulsbo, WA with 116,000 miles on the little beauty. Any suggestions for dealership with repair capabilities specifically for Saturn Skys (for the near future services needed). Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look forward to seeing the finished product on the Sky. Did you do anything other than pull the old seat skins off and install the new ones? Any seat padding needing replaced? Just curious as I will try and request the exact same products from the vendors. Will have to wait until I return from deployment though. Thanks for the project!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ideally, you would replace all the supporting foam parts along with the leather, but that would be very expensive and impossible today due to lack of availability.

My experience replacing other seat skins, it is nice to have some upholstery filler on-hand. My wife has some around the house and I have resorted to using some where the seat cushion is compressed. I just stuff more where needed. So that is my plan with these.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
With everything now in-hand, I finally got started with the project of replacing the leather skins. It took some time to receive the power seat base. It got lost for weeks in shipping.

First-up is the driver seat which includes the power-lift upgrade. I would have also done the passenger seat but my Sky restoration cost-over-runs shelved that idea. Maybe I will consider it at another time.

I picked the better of the two damaged base cushions, the one on the right was the winner.

In the past, I used 100% outdoor silicone caulk offering high strength adhesion, flexibility, and also works well in filling voids.

I encourage any and all experiences with this type of foam cushion repair, both your lasting and failed repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
My next mission.... gluing the seat base cushion back together. I injected the silicone caulk throughout the depth of each crack and also in each grove from the springs. There were many smaller tears around each spring depression.

The cloth straps brings together the separation while curing.

The clamped awl holds down one of the ends of a black strip that insisted on lifting.

This will be a multi-day process, basically doing one side at a time, then afterward touch-up missed spots.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I got side-tracked the past couple days. Today I continued to make repairs to my driver seat foam base and now the backrest. The clear silicone caulk offers excellent adhesion along with extreme flexibility. Some of the tears went thru-&-thru. This stuff works great, both for the tears and as an outer patch for additional strength as shown in the example along the bottom in the trough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Driver seat is now done. Here are some pics.

The silicone repair seems to be the right product. I am very happy with the repairs to the foam.

First up was the driver seat back.

It went fairly uneventful.

Next was the seat base with power-lift.

That too was fairly straight forward with one exception. It was missing a hole on each side for the back rest latch.

So a fabricated a cutting die from a ceiling fan down pipe.

Now it was time to add poly fill. This was critical for the right look and more importantly, the right feel in how the seat fit me. I would need much less poly fill if my driver seat foam was brand new.

This picture was taken before poly foam was added.

This is after I added the poly foam.

I am exceeding my picture limit. Go to my next reply.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I did the same for the backrest adding poly foam.

Then I cut the leather hole for the seat base switch.

After assembly of the seat back to the base, then came the release lever.

This finished product pictures that follow does not do the new seat covering justice at all. But it shows what it is next to the passenger seat that has the old hard crusty seating surface.

I temporarily placed the recovered driver seat in my Sky and got in. It feels exceptional. The seat holds me in tight resembling the feel of a racing seat.
I will be working the passenger seat next. When both seats are done, I will set them out in direct sunlight to get the wrinkles out.

I can tell these skins are 100% leather. They are quite nice for the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Just one hour with occasional direct sun (passing clouds) on a cool day, and the wrinkles are dramatically improved. A storm looks like it is rolling in so my experiment is over. One hot full-sun day will do it wonders.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Too bad you don't have a fabric steamer like the pros do. I borrowed my wife's when I put my leather seat covers on. Takes the wrinkles right out!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Too bad you don't have a fabric steamer like the pros do. I borrowed my wife's when I put my leather seat covers on. Takes the wrinkles right out!
No such fabric steamer in this house. God's naturals will have to take care of it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Really nice write up! Are you going to pass your feedback to the person/company who is making them? You did a great job cutting the holes for the seat back, but it would be nice to not have to do them myself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Really nice write up! Are you going to pass your feedback to the person/company who is making them? You did a great job cutting the holes for the seat back, but it would be nice to not have to do them myself.
Thanks for the compliment.

Actually I previously shared the link to this thread with the eBay supplier. Hopefully he takes action concerning the missing holes.

There is one more deviation I see I will have to be creative with. I can't say it's the supplier's fault. My driver seat has places to hook the new seat cover to along the two sides. My passenger seat frame requires push-pins. Hmmm.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Now working on the passenger seat base, I removed the original leather seat cover and evaluated the project. Wow, what a complicated air bag sensor/pad with electronic module. The foam and sensor was replaced just prior to me buying the car 4 months ago from a dealer, and nobody has yet sat in the passenger seat, so I consider it brand new, virgin. New foam = no repair required.

Here is the new passenger base foam with sensor. The design of it obviously means that you should NEVER EVER "knee" that seat or you will surely damage the sensor pad.

In an effort to support the foam with sensor better, and to prevent the wire springs from cutting the foam over time, I placed a pair of thin rubber floor mats.

I placed them this way so the spikes bite into their adjacent surfaces to prevent shifting.

Like the driver seat, this too required additional holes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I put the leather cover on, added poly-fill like I did on the other seat, and figured a method for the conflicting attachment that ended up working very well. I trimmed the plastic hook to fit in another location.

I really should have trimmed just the hook-portion off and leave more tab. But all is still well.

The seat belt connector was tricky to get through, but I managed. Here is the pass-thru wire harness.

The opposing side went the exact same way, no problem.

Fully assembled and poly-filled, here is the completed passenger seat base.

Now one more to go, the passenger backrest.
I was relieved to inspect the foam to be in fine condition, no need for repairs. Given it is identical to the driver seat backrest, I won't be elaborating on the process. My next process-reply will skip to the very end, after I set both seats in the sun for a day to remove the wrinkles. That is weather-dependent.

Stay tuned.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts