Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
But you don't have a stock unit.
>:)

I have a DDX9703S now which replaced a DNX8120

The new one does not have Navigation because my phones does, so it was not needed.
it is compatible with Apple and Android phones, and allows you to use the radio to control the phone.

You do not have to take the whole dash off, just the lower parts and it's extremely easy and only takes about 10 minutes.

As far as the Airbag on the steering wheel,
Disconnect your negative battery terminal for 30+ minutes, and while it is still disconnected, follow the directions above.
It's completely safe.
Does the DNX8120 let you control the Android phone via BlueTooth or do you have to have it connected via the HDMI cable? Mine you have to have it on the cable and that's a bit annoying. Would much rather have it through BlueTooth.

The Kenwood I have is now discontinued. Can't remember the model off hand.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have a collection of phonos and an eclectic collection of vinyl. I want to take a collection of music in other formats on the road in the Sky. Now if I had an old Impala the phono might work. :)
Hmmm. May be time for me to break out my old 8-track.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I got my Sky it didn't have the audio controls on the steering wheel. Years later I bought a new wheel with the audio controls on it and switched the wheels, nothing else needed just plugged it in, and the audio controls worked. I do have a monsoon system, don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I also want to get this done pretty soon. Probably within the next 2 weeks. I probably don't want to do it myself either. I'm allowing $250-300.
Suggestions?
Pretty sure $300 is too low for what you want. You'll barely get a touchscreen radio alone for that, and the extra pieces you need for chimes and steering wheel controls are $100-150 alone! Then there's the installation on top.

Most of all, take your time and test out a few radios for the user interface. I got a Kenwood for my wife's car a couple of years ago, and I hate the arcane interface. The design team should be shot!

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Does the DNX8120 let you control the Android phone via BlueTooth or do you have to have it connected via the HDMI cable? Mine you have to have it on the cable and that's a bit annoying. Would much rather have it through BlueTooth.

The Kenwood I have is now discontinued. Can't remember the model off hand.
No, because I don't have an android phone and I no longer have the DNX8120
>:)
I connect my iPhone to my DDX9703S with a lightning cable that plugs into the USB cable of the radio. That allows me to get the full functionality of Car Play. I believe you would have to connect via a cable to get the full features of Android Auto.
Both of my Radio's can control the volume and song tracks via Bluetooth but it is limited compared to Car Play. It depends on whether the phone supports A2DP.
@expostdelirium
I think you need to get used to the stock radio as you are no where near the cost of the features you want.

@SlyBob
Actually even better. About half of the wiring and the HD radio was built into the new unit, so I ended up being able to remove a bunch of wires and the external HD Box. It has the exact same size plastic connector for the power, and speakers. The Nav, microphone and steering wheel controls all plugged into the new unit.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have the factory head unit....but there's two antennas on the back of my Sky. The little one in the center of the trunk, and the standard antenna on the back passenger side. Why do I have both if the head unit is just an AM/FM radio (no Sirius/XM)?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I have the factory head unit....but there's two antennas on the back of my Sky. The little one in the center of the trunk, and the standard antenna on the back passenger side. Why do I have both if the head unit is just an AM/FM radio (no Sirius/XM)?
Your radio is XM but your car probably did not have the optional XM receiver and antenna installed. The shark tooth antenna is for On Star..a third wire was installed for XM if purchased from the factory.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hmmm. Well everyone keeps saying (above, anyway) that the stock head unit is crap. But I beg to disagree. Now I have the USB unit, so that might make a difference (though I doubt it) but that with Alpine speakers and Eclipse amp sounds great in my car. I think that it all may be a case of "the grass is greener..."
The worst thing about the stock head unit, and the dash info for that matter, is the puny orange LED lighting that can't be read during daylight hours. :) --otherwise, I have no issues with mine, sans the desire for nav and usb.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Your radio is XM but your car probably did not have the optional XM receiver and antenna installed. The shark tooth antenna is for On Star..a third wire was installed for XM if purchased from the factory.
Well that makes sense. I forgot about the On Star (never had or used it before). So let's say I purchased an aftermarket unit that had XM. Will I already have the wire/antenna necessary for it? Or is it something I'd have to install?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Well that makes sense. I forgot about the On Star (never had or used it before). So let's say I purchased an aftermarket unit that had XM. Will I already have the wire/antenna necessary for it? Or is it something I'd have to install?
It would include your antenna and everything else needed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Pretty sure $300 is too low for what you want. You'll barely get a touchscreen radio alone for that, and the extra pieces you need for chimes and steering wheel controls are $100-150 alone! Then there's the installation on top.

Most of all, take your time and test out a few radios for the user interface. I got a Kenwood for my wife's car a couple of years ago, and I hate the arcane interface. The design team should be shot!
Thanks TomatoSoup, I'll have to bump my spending cap up then. I realize that the harness is around 150 to keep my chimes, etc. If I can find one that just lets me control my iPhone w/ the steering wheel controls - whilst not being "clunky" - I would live with it for awhile. I plan to pay a visit to the shop this week. I've known the owner since he was 15 or 16 when he worked for the other local store we have (owner's daughter was my gf at the time), AND I work with his mom. He's done quite right by me over the years, but I haven't been in there for 5 years or so. If that doesn't work, I can go to the other one; I still know those guys. Both shops do good work. To be honest, I don't have to be in a hurry, I just want to get used to it before I hit the road to Lexington, and my other planned travels. What would the chances be of finding one in the "used" market that's not too beat up?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have really enjoyed the discussion and when I read posts like this I start thinking about changing my head unit also. Then I start thinking it’s probably going to run close to a $1,000 and there could very well be issues after the install. I then realize that I live in Michigan so the car is in storage for close to 6 months out of the year and when I do have it out I have the top down and I’m just as happy with the system the car came with. An upgraded sound system would be nice but nothing to me sounds better in that car than with the top down and listening to the world go by!

Besides, this year's budget has to go for new tires....

Jim

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
The sun is out..the top is down....not much u can do. Of course, there is an alternative but it still is difficult reading. Change your plastic on the radio. All the LED lights are white. What changes the color is the plastic strip on the radio...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great jshines; I have yet ANOTHER option...and you are CORRECT about how enjoyable discussions on this board are.

Just got back from the electronics place. Got a little reality check, but a Pioneer that does what I want it to and the harness, installed is right around $500. I can live with that. I don't mind putting money into the local economy, and this "kid" has been doing this for a long, long time, he's done lots of my work, and my friends', so I trust him to steer me right and not to "sell" me.

The kid I knew (the owner) has a kid that is buddies w/ my GF's kid: he's had to put up w/ her for a slumber party. Maybe I should pay him more? :)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great jshines; I have yet ANOTHER option...and you are CORRECT about how enjoyable discussions on this board are.

Just got back from the electronics place. Got a little reality check, but a Pioneer that does what I want it to and the harness, installed is right around $500. I can live with that. I don't mind putting money into the local economy, and this "kid" has been doing this for a long, long time, he's done lots of my work, and my friends', so I trust him to steer me right and not to "sell" me.

The kid I knew (the owner) has a kid that is buddies w/ my GF's kid: he's had to put up w/ her for a slumber party. Maybe I should pay him more? :)
Which pioneer head unit did you get?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
When I got my Sky it didn't have the audio controls on the steering wheel. Years later I bought a new wheel with the audio controls on it and switched the wheels, nothing else needed just plugged it in, and the audio controls worked. I do have a monsoon system, don't know if that makes a difference.
Where can you get a steering wheel with the controls? And how hard was it to swap?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts