Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did something today for the first time since I have owned the car... And this will probably freak some of you out, but I swear this is the truth.

Today, I drove to lunch with a buddy, and it was hot. Like 96 degrees hot. And when we got in the car to go to lunch, the leather seats that had been baking in the sun "toasted our buns" if you know what I mean. So we get to lunch, and have to park in a not-so-good spot in the baking sun, so my buddy says, "Why not put the top up so we don't burn our buns in Act 2?" So, we did.

Then at lunch he asked, "So how does the A/C cool the car?"

I replied, "Let's go back to work with the top up and the A/C on."

I fobber the doors to unlock and hop in the car that has been baking in the sun, and WHAMMO! New Car Smell - BIG TIME. Now, keep in mind that I took delivery of this car on May 9th. And I still got the New Car Smell whammy.

I noticed that when I opened the trunk I would get a light whiff of it. And the top is almost always stowed in the trunk. So I am guessing that it preserved that smell in a very big way in the trunk compartment.

Since I almost always have the top down when I park, or if it is up since I almost always lower the top before I drive off... this was actually the first time since I have owned the car that I had it parked with the top up, got in and drove away with the top still up. Two months, and nearly 4,000 miles later and it smelled just terriffic.

So if you want that new car smell a couple of months down the road, keep that top sealed away in the trunk. You will be rewarded. Of course, if you kept the top up and windows up all the time I bet it would keep that smell in the interior for a long time, too... but who wants to do THAT in a SKY?

·
Registered
420 Posts
aaaahhhh that "new car smell"....

which is actually a mixture of "volatile organic compounds" created from the new adhesives, sealers, plastics, leather, and fabrics used when making our cars.

To enhance that new car smell, I bought one of them Japanese air fresheners from my local Honda dealership that comes in a rectangle tray and placed it under the driver's seat. The fragrance is glorious I tell you!
Now my Sky still has that combination of new car smell every time I open the door and once I get in & sit, it smells so heavenly because of the air freshener. It's great! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That is kind of funny that the smell is composed of synthetic stuff that hasn't settled into the car yet. Gross yet satisfying. I agree though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That's why the top goes down to dilute those toxins being emitted:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
TIP for cooler seats (read here somewhere before -- so I don't take credit)

When leaving your SKY parked tip the seat backs forward and it keeps the seating surfaces cool as cucumbers!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick Tinley Park said:

When leaving your SKY parked tip the seat backs forward and it keeps the seating surfaces cool as cucumbers!
Thanks Rick! I been relying upon on the evaporation of drool on the Red Leather... :drool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
That was me <grin>

Rick Tinley Park said:

I posted this tip a while back. In the past I owned 2 other roadsters - a Healey and a Spyder. After driving these two, there are several tricks regarding these guys. Another person posted about thumping the hood (soft top) when wet to discourage getting soaked. Tipping the seats makes a huge difference in Texas. Driving gloves really save the hands from too hot/cold and give a better grip. Tonneau covers are great and used to be able to be unzipped on one side only (the Sky's seems a bit akward to install). Leather "cheaufer's" caps hold the hair in place, look snazzy and don't blow off.

As I think of other tricks, I'll pass them on. I know the other "oldtimer" roadster drivers will as well.

Jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im afraid to leave the top down @ night in the garage, because all the new car smell will escape. Now thats crazy isn't it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Made my garage smell good for a change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts