Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to someone at my dealership who told me about a clear bra that covers the entire hood of the car so you don't see a line. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this a new 3M product?

·
Registered
684 Posts
:nono: I contacted the company here in fl, regarding this. They do not warrant the product from yellowing as a result of the Fl sun UV rays. I have seen this product on other cars and because of the lines on the Sky you will be able to see the edges of the film. So I am passing on this.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Barry,
The key to these films is placement as close to seams as possible. On my elise, literally the only line you see is the one going across the front bonnet and that's because it's a large open area. The elise needs coverage on the bonnet because of the steeply slanting nose. However the sky, you could get by with protection on the lower rockers and the nose only and think that'd be sufficient. Dont think you need anything on the hood as it's pretty high.

Chris

·
Registered
684 Posts
bullseye said:
Barry,
The key to these films is placement as close to seams as possible. On my elise, literally the only line you see is the one going across the front bonnet and that's because it's a large open area. The elise needs coverage on the bonnet because of the steeply slanting nose. However the sky, you could get by with protection on the lower rockers and the nose only and think that'd be sufficient. Dont think you need anything on the hood as it's pretty high.

Chris
How long have you had it and do you have the Fl climate?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just to chime in here, I've just gotten quotes on getting our Sky front covered with the 3M material. They recommended at least the front edge of the hood as you will get chiping paint on that surface over time. I'm thinking about 2-3 inches just to cover the front edge.

The lowest cost I received was $575, including mirrors and headlights. The other quote was for $690. I'm in northeasten Ohio.

I talked it over with the wife and I think she agrees for the small amount of "lines" that you would see, it is well worth protecting the front of the car. Repairing paint chips with touchup paint ussually looks worse than the chip! I think we are gonna go for it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stig,

I knew about yours, but yours does not appear to cover the entire hood. Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
112 Posts
etw98 said:
Stig,

I knew about yours, but yours does not appear to cover the entire hood. Am I incorrect?
Our doesn't cover the 'Entire' hood. It covers the frontal area a little over a quarter of the hood (see orange area). The rest of the hood is flat so no real need to cover it... unless you are getting hit from above :)

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Turk said:
Just to chime in here, I've just gotten quotes on getting our Sky front covered with the 3M material. They recommended at least the front edge of the hood as you will get chiping paint on that surface over time. I'm thinking about 2-3 inches just to cover the front edge.

The lowest cost I received was $575, including mirrors and headlights. The other quote was for $690. I'm in northeasten Ohio.

I talked it over with the wife and I think she agrees for the small amount of "lines" that you would see, it is well worth protecting the front of the car. Repairing paint chips with touchup paint ussually looks worse than the chip! I think we are gonna go for it.
OK, I have the 3m Clear Bra on my sky and I agree with you that it was cheaper than repainting the hood. I love it, no regreats....:thumbs:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't think you really need to cover the whole hood on the sky, it's pretty flat, only the first 6" or so needs it.

Barry I Live in GA and sun here is pretty brutal know lots of guys in GA with elises covered with the film, two years out and film holding up pretty well, yellowing doesn't seem to be an issue. You will encounter some impact damage to the film from rocks but it does an exc job of protecting the paint. Had a 1/2" rock solidly hit the film area on the front bumper, cushioned the impact and no damage to the paint or film.

Kappasphere/Sector 111 turn out first rate stuff so if the film they have has a guarantee, good one to consider.

Chris

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had my COOL SOL (silver) done at Horizon Audio in January

Covers the hood to the tops of the headlights the rear views and the rockers and up the front side of the rear wheel wells

Cost $600.00

well worth it and I don't mind the line..I clean it up with an old toothbrush when i wax it.

Another big plus........with the bugs as heavy as they are now I get bug-crap all over the bra ...but i just smile...because I can take a scrubby to it and get all that crap off without swirling the paint job....just re-apply the wax.

In my mind better than a vinyl bra. jmho

·
Registered
45 Posts
anyone know a good clear bra installer in the nj, philadephia area? would they install the kappashere bra or 3M, either one...

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
... literally the only line you see is the one going across the front bonnet and that's because it's a large open area...
Chris[/QUOTE]

I have looked at Chris' car closely and can vouch for what he's saying - the only thing you can see is a line, and then only if it's dirty or pointed out.

But, today, I heard someone tell me that the films (not sure which brand) get an 'eggshell' finish after heat, sun and esp salty air exposure. Have you seen that - bumpy and somewhat discolored?

Carlie

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually the film has an eggshell like texture to it, only noticeable on very large flat areas. Discoloration hasn't been an issue on the elises I've seen in GA and this is two years from install. BUT, bug guts if left on can stain the film, with little grey/blk spots very hard to get off.

Got to be honest tho, looking at the silhouette of the sky, I'm just not sure film is needed as the front end is not sloping a tremendous amount, I'd probably opt for film on the lower rockers on the sides and front lower (air dam), not sure you need it in the other areas.
Chris

·
Registered
945 Posts
trust me...spend the $$$ it'll be worth it after you take that first ding

1 - 16 of 16 Posts