Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline "The Beast"
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I may need to change my clutch. I have an '08 Redline with the Trifecta tune @ 49,000 miles.
I have seen clutches from $300 to $500.
Where can I get the right clutch at a decent price ($350?) that will tolerate the tune?
(Mind you, I only add about 10-15 miles a week and I DO NOT drive the car hard or use the tune very often.)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do you need a new clutch? Are you going to do it yourself? If so, you do know that the differential has to be dropped...right? It's not easy and last look at dealer price was around $2800 (about 18hrs IMSMC). A stock clutch should be good to about 350hp. If you plan on going over that, then start looking at aftermarket. Stay away from a lighter flywheel as the rumor has been then it makes the car almost undrivable in city driving.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I replaced with the Gm stock pressure plate and clutch when i had my engine out 2 years back.
It handles anything you do to it with the trifecta and a Solo high flow cat. About $275 for the parts.
The flywheel, for the redline engine, is a dual mass type.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the trifecta on mine and initially replaced with the Spec stage 3 and a stock dual mass clutch. That wasn't good because extra work had to be done on the new stock flywheel to make it line up right which wasn't done right and led to slippage. I then just went with a Spec Stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel which has held no problem! Even had four runs at the dragstrip with no slipping on it.

I don't honestly think it's that much worse than the stock flywheel in stop and go traffic. That is, once you get use to how the clutch activates. The clutch pedal has more pressure though (which can stink).

Because it costs so much to replace your clutch and flywheel I just went with one that I KNEW could handle the power and not slip. My stock clutch only had 50k on it and it took literally two third gear pulls right after the trifecta tune for it to start slipping.

The Spec Stage 3 is about $350. Now the Flywheel is $400, but keep in mind...To replace your clutch with either stock or an aftermarket clutch you WILL NEED a brand new flywheel which is going to cost you $350 for the stock flywheel. Regardless you are going to be paying around $600-$750 for clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Honestly, unless your clutch is really slipping, don't replace it till it's necessary. I had a Mustang GT with 160k on the original clutch. Sure, it wasn't the smoothest, but it never slipped. Even after I caught my ex-wife with a former boyfriend....I had SMOKE poring from underneath that day. Thought it was on fire. (Feathered the clutch in third gear and about 4k RPM from about 5mph....had other things on my mind!! ;) ) Drove it another 30k after that and still ran that car until I sold it with 160k with the original clutch. My Solstice has 84k on it...and while my clutch is "grabby", I'm not doing anything till I can't shift gears. And I'm a self proclaimed spirited driver. My other car is a 6.4L Charger if that means anything!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Of course it does!!!!! Your rear end is close to failure on the Dodge!!!! lol Sorry had to.

Man those new challengers are having a lot of problems. Just too much I guess.

·
Registered
2008 Saturn Sky Redline "The Beast"
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- Honestly, unless your clutch is really slipping, don't replace it till it's necessary. My Solstice has 84k on it...and while my clutch is "grabby", I'm not doing anything till I can't shift gears.

- Do you need a new clutch? Are you going to do it yourself?

- A stock clutch should be good to about 350hp.

- To replace your clutch with either stock or an aftermarket clutch you WILL NEED a brand new flywheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to only slip when I switch on the Trifecta tune with the extra HP, although getting into reverse gear may now seem a bit harder…
(I read here to NOT drive the car if the clutch is slipping, it may overheat and catch on fire)

I am not doing the clutch change myself, my mechanic is.

Where can I get stock clutch?

Oye! Why do I need to replace the flywheel too?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Of course it does!!!!! Your rear end is close to failure on the Dodge!!!! lol Sorry had to.

Man those new challengers are having a lot of problems. Just too much I guess.
My RT Challenger had rear end clunks and bangs....was told "normal" sounds. The Charger has been very good. There's nothing like the active exhaust on the 6.4L at WOT!!!! I love shaking people up with it that aren't paying attention. And don't tell anyone, but I might....might have the Taser, which unlocks a ton of different things from the SRT, including a real line-lock, the SRT pages and what they call a "light show". When it gets warmer, I'll post a video of it...and a good run at WOT from the rear of the car just for you skersfan!!

We now return back to the high-jacked thread....sorry....

·
Registered
515 Posts
You need a new flywheel because the dual mass can't or I should say is very hard to machine back to stockings specs to be able to not cause slippage with a new clutch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Parts.com has all the Genuine GM parts. The pressure plate kit comes with the clutch disc. About $160. My flywheel was clean, not burnt or scored. And the clutch was about 1/2 used. So I didn't replace the flywheel. However, I had time because I was rebuilding the engine at the time. I decided to do just the clutch/pressure plate as there was no problems before pulling the engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced with the Gm stock pressure plate and clutch when i had my engine out 2 years back.
It handles anything you do to it with the trifecta and a Solo high flow cat. About $275 for the parts.
The flywheel, for the redline engine, is a dual mass type.
So I've got a weird vibration and sound coming from that area and I'm guessing it's that flywheel if I replace stuff do you recommend going with stock OEM or changing over to single Mass flywheel ?

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
So I've got a weird vibration and sound coming from that area and I'm guessing it's that flywheel if I replace stuff do you recommend going with stock OEM or changing over to single Mass flywheel ?
Unless you have a specific need for something else I would stay with OEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts