Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the car last night, drove about 70 miles almost all interstate, not prime Sky conditions, with the top down for the last 20 miles (53 degrees, cloudy-I grew up 100 miles NW of Detroit so that wasn't really 'cold':) ). It looks and handles great as everyone has said.

I won't duplicate the good things everyone else has said which are true; I’ll throw out some comments at the risk some may see this as complaining, which it isn’t, it’s only an attempt to provide honest comments for others. It is a roadster. It is small and that is a consideration for anyone my size or bigger, and we accept that if we buy this car. My observations may change as I haven’t even had a chance to learn the car much. I reserve the right to change my mind!

I am 6-1+, 205, pant size 34x34, not what I consider a really big guy. There is a tug of war between leg room and angle of the seat-back. One cannot change without affecting the other, between tipping the seat-back a little bit, and how much bend in your left leg you can live with. To move the seat all the way backwards you have to tip the seat-back substantially upright. Initially this was tipped way up to create more leg room, but after 30 minutes my back was uncomfortable. I moved the seat forward one notch or so, to tip the seat-back backwards a little, and that was better for my back, but the left leg really had no place to go on the uninterrupted hour long highway trip. NOT cramped, at least for one hour, but a noticeable knee-up in the left leg. I hope not to do many long, straight trips anyway.

Driving with the top up it is very difficult to have much traffic awareness as compared to driving the Vue. Headroom is no problem, but there is difficulty seeing stop lights (or anything “up”) without bending your head way down. There is limited field of view to the left/right rear flanks because of the top/sides, meaning you mostly have to trust the small side mirrors to change lanes. You sit low so that even the passenger hump seems a little in the way. Vision thru the rearview mirror is good.

Gas mileage was about 31 mpg at 69 mph, up to 34 mpg at 60 mph, but changes dramatically if you have a rise or hill.

There was noticeable wind noise behind the driver left ear and the passenger right ear above 45 mph (top up).

I’ve got to learn the controls of the Monsoon/XM system, but the speakers were substantially richer than what’s in my Vue. It has equalizer or bass/mid/high adjusts.

It is not tremendously quick off the starting line, but not a dog by any means. If ¼ mile performance is a main factor in your car, than you are right to wait for the RL. It’s responsive as is and I’ll probably opt for a GM CAI.

The shifter seems more forward than below you, but shifts really nicely.

That said, with crappy weather, the short time I was driving with the TOP DOWN was such a kick :lol: that I didn’t even notice any of the above. Today is sunny and 75 and tomorrow 80 so should be fun.

Anyone much taller than I should really test drive or sit in the Sky for a while (pro’ly not possible) before deciding to spend that much money. You might want to check out a Mustang or something else topless to see if it had more leg room. Not whining, just first off-the-cuff observations that others deserve to hear. :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Thanks for your input...my hubby is 6'3", 180lbs and we had been concerned about him fitting comfortably in the Sky. He sat in one at a dealer...said it wasn't the most comfortable seating position...but he could "live" with it for short rides. He said that he fits better in the driver's seat, than in the passenger...said the passenger side seemed a bit shorter on legroom for some reason. We probably will not get an opportunity to test drive one until our own comes in, so we won't know for sure how well he will fit until then.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
VUETH1S said:
I am 6-1+, 205, pant size 34x34, not what I consider a really big guy. There is a tug of war between leg room and angle of the seat-back. One cannot change without affecting the other, between tipping the seat-back a little bit, and how much bend in your left leg you can live with. To move the seat all the way backwards you have to tip the seat-back substantially upright. Initially this was tipped way up to create more leg room, but after 30 minutes my back was uncomfortable. I moved the seat forward one notch or so, to tip the seat-back backwards a little, and that was better for my back, but the left leg really had no place to go on the uninterrupted hour long highway trip. NOT cramped, at least for one hour, but a noticeable knee-up in the left leg. I hope not to do many long, straight trips anyway.
I am 5' 10" -- for once being under 6 foot is a ggod thing!:D

VUETH1S said:
Driving with the top up it is very difficult to have much traffic awareness as compared to driving the Vue. Headroom is no problem, but there is difficulty seeing stop lights (or anything “up”) without bending your head way down. There is limited field of view to the left/right rear flanks because of the top/sides, meaning you mostly have to trust the small side mirrors to change lanes. You sit low so that even the passenger hump seems a little in the way. Vision thru the rearview mirror is good.
It sounds very much like the SC2. I have gotten used to stopping further back for ovehead lights and such so I can see them. Good info...:thumbs:
VUETH1S said:
Gas mileage was about 31 mpg at 69 mph, up to 34 mpg at 60 mph, but changes dramatically if you have a rise or hill.
Could this be just because we can now SEE the milage? -- Makes sense that the GM would go way down when a hill is climbed -- just never were able to monitor it before...:thumbs:
VUETH1S said:
There was noticeable wind noise behind the driver left ear and the passenger right ear above 45 mph (top up).
I have always heard that convertibles were noisy -- I hope I won't be too disappointed. At the same time I hope to rarely have to put the top up. Good weather car only. :cool:
VUETH1S said:
I’ve got to learn the controls of the Monsoon/XM system, but the speakers were substantially richer than what’s in my Vue. It has equalizer or bass/mid/high adjusts.
I can not wait!:)
VUETH1S said:
It is not tremendously quick off the starting line, but not a dog by any means. If ¼ mile performance is a main factor in your car, than you are right to wait for the RL. It’s responsive as is and I’ll probably opt for a GM CAI.
Sounds like it is fine for me...:thumbs:
VUETH1S said:
I have driven a few manuals -- is the gear throw really small? The shifter looks more like a joystick than a shifter :eek:
VUETH1S said:
That said, with crappy weather, the short time I was driving with the TOP DOWN was such a kick :lol: that I didn’t even notice any of the above. Today is sunny and 75 and tomorrow 80 so should be fun.

Anyone much taller than I should really test drive or sit in the Sky for a while (pro’ly not possible) before deciding to spend that much money. You might want to check out a Mustang or something else topless to see if it had more leg room. Not whining, just first off-the-cuff observations that others deserve to hear. :)
I am chewing on the bit....
Thanks for the info!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
did u order chrome wheels?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the review. Enjoy your ride!

Waiting...waiting...waiting...:banghead:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usmc said:
did u order chrome wheels?
No, I have the standard wheels. They match the existing silver on the car, but that's not why I didn't get chrome, I just have never had the chrome before. I've seen a yellow with the chrome and they really stand out. I'd think the chrome would better go with one of the silvers or black, or blue, but what do I know?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick Tinley Park said:
I am 5' 10" -- for once being under 6 foot is a ggod thing!:D I have driven a few manuals -- is the gear throw really small? The shifter looks more like a joystick than a shifter :eek:
:thumbs:
The shifter is a pretty short throw, I like it. The knob has a nice solid feel and you're sure when you hit the gear. Joystick isn't a bad analogy except the knob fills and fits the palm of your hand nicely. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick Tinley Park said:
I am chewing on the bit...:thumbs:
You should be up any day I would think!:thumbs:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Enjoyed your review also. I'm 6'2" and previously made do in an NB Miata, so the larger Sky shouldn't pose too great a problem.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
VUETH1S said:
The shifter is a pretty short throw, I like it. The knob has a nice solid feel and you're sure when you hit the gear. Joystick isn't a bad analogy except the knob fills and fits the palm of your hand nicely. :D

I agree, I was surprised how easy this was to drive considering it has been well over 12 years since I drove a stick!:thumbs:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Axel said:
Enjoyed your review also. I'm 6'2" and previously made do in an NB Miata, so the larger Sky shouldn't pose too great a problem.
Yes, I drove it to work today top up and hardly had time to notice. There certainly isn't any discomfort for me. I haven't played around too much with the seat just yet.

With the top down I've enjoyed driving too much to be distracted by anything. Like climbing in and out, seat position just takes some getting used to.

The first day (Mon evening) was my first time in it and was about 70 minutes straight of almost all interstate.

I haven't even set up the radio controls and memories yet!

·
Registered
411 Posts
VUETH1S said:
I picked up the car last night, drove about 70 miles almost all interstate, not prime Sky conditions, with the top down for the last 20 miles (53 degrees, cloudy-I grew up 100 miles NW of Detroit so that wasn't really 'cold':) ). It looks and handles great as everyone has said.

I won't duplicate the good things everyone else has said which are true; I’ll throw out some comments at the risk some may see this as complaining, which it isn’t, it’s only an attempt to provide honest comments for others. It is a roadster. It is small and that is a consideration for anyone my size or bigger, and we accept that if we buy this car. My observations may change as I haven’t even had a chance to learn the car much. I reserve the right to change my mind!

Try a Miata,.. no JK:cheers:
But these cars are small... Taller people who feel uncomfortable should try a Sedan, SUV or Truck.:thumbs:

E.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Slade said:
Try a Miata,.. no JK:cheers:
But these cars are small... Taller people who feel uncomfortable should try a Sedan, SUV or Truck.:thumbs:

E.
Or a Vette

·
Registered
453 Posts
To Vuethis

I'm about 5'2 and really worried about the blind spots you all talk about. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good car for me? I love the Sky and have waited so long, but I'm concerned about relying on only the mirrows.

Will I be able to raise the seat if it sits too low? I thought I read that there really wasn't much you could do about sitting so low. Any comments?

T

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
tolaiz said:
I'm about 5'2 and really worried about the blind spots you all talk about. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good car for me? I love the Sky and have waited so long, but I'm concerned about relying on only the mirrows.

Will I be able to raise the seat if it sits too low? I thought I read that there really wasn't much you could do about sitting so low. Any comments?

T
I think any "blind spots" can be overcome with proper mirror usage. In particular -- your side mirrors, become very important. I cannot say it will make you more comfortable but with three mirrors the coverage back to side has got to be pretty good. If you are used to driving a truck, overloaded pick up and/or Van -- you know that 90% of you viewing is best through properly aimed side mirrors. I'd say I rarely even look through my rear, except to check out teh car RIGHT behind me.
Also it seems pretty universal that the view with the roof down is very good.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
tolaiz said:

T
My W is 5' even and the seat position for her at her height works well. It takes some getting used to but proper mirror postion is the way to go. Takes some getting used to but it works, and is only when the top is up also.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
brentil said:
My W is 5' even and the seat position for her at her height works well. It takes some getting used to but proper mirror postion is the way to go. Takes some getting used to but it works, and is only when the top is up also.
I totally agree..... mirror position is the KEY... to seeing all the blind spots.... i was having some trouble yesterday getting them just right..... i am 5'3" and weigh 118..... i have to pull the seat forward to reach the pedals... but i expected that..... my husband is 5'10" and is around 175 or so.... he can drive it nicely with room around him.. but not much.... he cant get into his pockets to get out his wallet.... for the banking.... and such without getting out of the car or having it out already..... it is hard for him to set the mirrors while sitting in the cockpit...... not much arm room..... i was totally AMAZED at the headroom..... wow..... there is so much..... even in my M3... there isnt that much.. and it is a hardtop.... hmmmmmm..... anyway... on the other end... when he is in the passenger seat... he has plenty of leg/arm room..... we did find that the drink holder on the right side of the counsel is for the driver... but, when he is in the car.. i just hold my drink... and yes... i have to have a drink everytime i get into a car... just OCD.. i think... anyway.... the drink holders in the center between the seats is more for the passenger.. or if you can have the passenger get yours for you when you are driving... i wont do that.... that would be bugging them .. i think.....My husband says he would be more comfy in the passenger seat while on long trips on my car... i dont mind because... of course.. I GET TO DRIVE MY BABY..... and.. i cant beleive he dont mind me driving him around..... HE IS THE MAN.... HE SHOULD BE DRIVING.... well,... that is what i have always been told..... i like that i get to... ok.... enough on this subject... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sky baby you got yours? Great!

With all the comments I made about size and room I'm enjoying the car more and more each time I drive it, and am just about past 'buyer's remorse' !

I knew it would be small but to actually sit in it takes a little acclimatizing. I didn't mention the window controls by the driver's left elbow are too far back to use with my left hand, as there is no room to pull back my left arm. I have to keep my left hand on the wheel and reach across my body with my right arm to work the window controls. Not a big deal.

How do I open the passenger door to drop my daughter off at school without shutting the car off? That took a little experimenting LOL ! Manually lift up the door lock, use the wireless unlock button I guess, LOL.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
VUETH1S said:
Sky baby you got yours? Great!

With all the comments I made about size and room I'm enjoying the car more and more each time I drive it, and am just about past 'buyer's remorse' !

I knew it would be small but to actually sit in it takes a little acclimatizing. I didn't mention the window controls by the driver's left elbow are too far back to use with my left hand, as there is no room to pull back my left arm. I have to keep my left hand on the wheel and reach across my body with my right arm to work the window controls. Not a big deal.

How do I open the passenger door to drop my daughter off at school without shutting the car off? That took a little experimenting LOL ! Manually lift up the door lock, use the wireless unlock button I guess, LOL.
Yep... that is what i have been doing.... using the key fob to open the locks..... and.. YES... I GOT HER HOME....... i posted baby pics on a thread about number 225 being brought home...... take a look.... she is beautiful.. i still cant figure out how to post the video of me driving her off the floor... SkyBaby-07

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts