Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Hi you all :D Got a question and a bit of information that I'm sure has already been beaten to death, so bear with me.

The question is how many of you new owners were charged a markup beyond MSRP? If so, how much on adverage?

Now the bit of info. There have been several news stories quoting the VP of sales for Saturn Corp. saying that Saturn will not allow additional dealer markups. Apparently Saturn wants to crack down of those dealers. If you were, Saturn wants to hear from you.

I'm trying to place an order for a Redline Edition and have been having a heck of a time getting any dealer to give me a straight answer on the price and delivery. I'm an all cash buyer and am more than willing to put down a large deposit but no one will commit to what the price is. What are they quoting as an average wait time? Any help out there?

Cheers :cheers:

Sierra Shark (California)

·
Registered
462 Posts
$/ order time

Most dealer have no real idea when they will get these cars in. You just look here on the the forum and take your chances. It is possible with a red-line that you will not even see a car in the 2007 build year.

Good Saturn dealers will take a deposit and agree to sell to you at MSRP. They will put you on their list and then you get to wait.

There are good dealers in California, I found a good dealer in Medford, Oregon just over the border. There is also a good dealer in Reno and in Phoenix, AZ. Just get on the phone and start talking to them. The Medford dealer just sold a base model to a Forum member at MSRP, the whole deal was done on the phone.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We spent a lot of time in the Reno/Fallon area and covered Nevada and California well. Bishop is over by Mono Lake, correct? Around Bodie and the entrance to Yosemite. You can probably find a good dealer in Reno, maybe Sacramento or even San Fran. I am hopeful with enough compliants Saturn will encourage their dealers to refrain from adding "packages" to the Sky.

Shirley

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ordered a Sky back in March and the Dealer charged me 1995.00 over MSRP.

Two weeks after I placed my order the exact color I wanted showed up at my dealer with all the add-ons that I didn't place with my order.

After reading all the posts on this forum and determining that I would have to wait approx 6 months to a year before my order would come in I purchased the floor model. And guess what it was 2995.00 over MSRP.

I hate to say it but it was worth every penny!!!! Most of the dealers around me were charging 5000.00 over MSRP.

I figured I got the whole summer of driving and I did!!! It's only money and you only live once........

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got Raven for MSRP, with no add ons. She also came in less than two months (but she is not a RL). My dealer was about an hour away from me, but it was worth it to save $3000, $5000 and $8000 from what the dealers near me wanted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum. We spent a lot of time in the Reno/Fallon area and covered Nevada and California well. Bishop is over by Mono Lake, correct? Around Bodie and the entrance to Yosemite. You can probably find a good dealer in Reno, maybe Sacramento or even San Fran. I am hopeful with enough compliants Saturn will encourage their dealers to refrain from adding "packages" to the Sky.

Shirley
Thanks for the replies. I have just about exhausted calling around Kali-for-knee-a (as our Govenator calls it). So on to Nevada. Bishop is located about 220 miles due south of Reno and 90 miles south of Mono Lake. Like they say, "It's not nowhere, but you can see it from here". According to the VP of sales for Saturn Corp. they are "Banning" dealers from any markups or packages. We'll see....

Hey duck833, is your user name because you're a Ducatti owner? I have a 991 SS. Just thought I would ask. Thank you both for the replies and look forward to others.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Now the bit of info. There have been several news stories quoting the VP of sales for Saturn Corp. saying that Saturn will not allow additional dealer markups. Apparently Saturn wants to crack down of those dealers. If you were, Saturn wants to hear from you.
Don't believe this for a second. I talked to Saturn customer service about some of their predatory practices and their response was "Well, there's nothing we can do about it, go to another dealer." :nono:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
New to the forum. Hi you all :D Got a question and a bit of information that I'm sure has already been beaten to death, so bear with me.

The question is how many of you new owners were charged a markup beyond MSRP? If so, how much on adverage?

I'm trying to place an order for a Redline Edition and have been having a heck of a time getting any dealer to give me a straight answer on the price and delivery. I'm an all cash buyer and am more than willing to put down a large deposit but no one will commit to what the price is. What are they quoting as an average wait time? Any help out there?

More dealers than not or selling ordered Skys at MSRP. I recently visited family in Santa Clarita and those clowns were jamming people for $10K worth of 20" wheels and tires, some balogna, and a large dose of blue sky. But clowns like them are not the rule.

A lot depends on whether you wnat a Redline or standard Sky. If you want a Redline PREPARE TO WAIT. You wuld be lucky to get a 2007 at all. If the turbo isn't important you should be able to get a Sky fairly quickly at MSRP. If you find a car at a distant dealership and strike a deal, don't commit any money until you have an e-mailed or faxed commitment for an agreed dollar amount AND NO ADD ONS AT DELIVERY. Autotrader.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have just about exhausted calling around Kali-for-knee-a (as our Govenator calls it).
Hmm, okay unless my dealer really changed their practices, that doesn't make sense. I got mine just a month ago, at a California dealer, and they were charging only MSRP and not a penny more. I've already referred other forum members to them to place their orders. I know we are not allowed to mention their names here, but if you want their name, either PM me or you can look at the photos in my gallery and see the paper plate with their name on it. If you want the salesperson's name and phone number just PM me.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
More dealers than not or selling ordered Skys at MSRP. I recently visited family in Santa Clarita and those clowns were jamming people for $10K worth of 20" wheels and tires, some balogna, and a large dose of blue sky. But clowns like them are not the rule.

A lot depends on whether you wnat a Redline or standard Sky. If you want a Redline PREPARE TO WAIT. You wuld be lucky to get a 2007 at all. If the turbo isn't important you should be able to get a Sky fairly quickly at MSRP. If you find a car at a distant dealership and strike a deal, don't commit any money until you have an e-mailed or faxed commitment for an agreed dollar amount AND NO ADD ONS AT DELIVERY. Autotrader.com is a good place to start.
The Dealer at Santa Clarita sold all of their ordered cars at MSRP, one of the moderators here bought theirs from them. However, they were selling these overloaded ones off the lot.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Most dealer have no real idea when they will get these cars in. You just look here on the the forum and take your chances. It is possible with a red-line that you will not even see a car in the 2007 build year.

Good Saturn dealers will take a deposit and agree to sell to you at MSRP. They will put you on their list and then you get to wait.

There are good dealers in California, I found a good dealer in Medford, Oregon just over the border. There is also a good dealer in Reno and in Phoenix, AZ. Just get on the phone and start talking to them. The Medford dealer just sold a base model to a Forum member at MSRP, the whole deal was done on the phone.
I always thought buying a car outside of California would cost you a fortune to register it in CA. Have you researched the cost of this?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

I am driving up to Santa Rosa this weekend to pickup my RedLine at MSRP! However, I cannot mention the dealers name! :D

If you want a Redline at MSRP, you can get one, you will probably have to wait a while 6-9 months. (as someone else said they really cannot give you a date) I would be more concerned if someone told you they get you one right away.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Paid MSRP. I was afraid they might mark it since there are only 2 Saturn dealerships in Arkansas and demand for the Sky is high. I have owned a Saturn for the last 12 years and we have a great dealership in Little Rock.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sky Markups

There ought to be a law that would preclude a dealer from forcing any add-ons on a customer. Some dealers force you to buy Lojack at around $700 but Onstar tracks a stolen car once they become aware of the theft. Vin etching is generally free at the local police station but dealers will charge you at least $200 for this package. Some dealers force you to take Saturnguard at about $400. There are plenty of honest dealers around who will sell the car for sticker price.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
redline mark ups

...."Everything goes great with Caramel"

....A local dealer....had at one point 3 (YES 3) REDLINES...in stock....(They were holding them....for TEST DRIVES...which afterwards...you would place an Order"......HOWEVER...all 3 redlines were LOADED to the gills...with ...add-on #$#@%.......their price was $36,500!.......I was CONSIDERING purchasing one.....but my wife (I'm glad she did)...REASONED with me....."Why she said, pay 5k over what ur "ordered" redline will be.....$30,000.....JUST BE PATIENT.........

.....Bottom line is....there are dealers .. ADDING tons of #$%$ to the SKY'S..(to increase their PROFITS..at ur expense)..........so be patient....place ur order.....and SAVE the dough.....(sure u'll get ur REDLINE next SPRING...but hey....u'll have all SPRING AND SUMMER....to play....."AND"......u'll have a NEW REDLINE with the turbo "kinks" eliminated....(not to mention the SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTER.....

:deadhorse

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I always thought buying a car outside of California would cost you a fortune to register it in CA. Have you researched the cost of this?
Thanks to everyone for their replys. :D It looks like a mixed bag of so called "Good dealers and Bad dealers" out there. Sounds to me like the most of you got fair deals.

To answer your question about buying out of state. It realy doesn't cost to much more to buy in say Nevada and bring it to California. The Nevada dealer charges you the same sales tax as where you live in California and sends a document to the Calif. DMV to prove it. You get a copy. Calif. DMV will charge an out of state fee (usually around $200) and you must get the car smog checked, even though it's 50 state compliant. Every car I have owned in the last 15 years was purchased in Nevada. The reason why is it's usually much cheaper and when the dealer finds you're from out of state they will work with you on lowering the price to make up the difference of cost at the DMV. An example being when I purchased my 2006 Ford truck fully loaded, Ford had the "Family Plan" going on. The price of that truck was the same no matter what state you bought it in. Since the dealer in Nevada needed a leg up on the compitition it lowered the price even more to make up for what the DMV would charge me in Calif. I wound up with an additional net savings of over $2000 over what I could have bought the truck for in Calif. Several other states have simular plans. It pays to call around and make the trip.

I will PM some of you for additional info. Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts