Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is my first post and all but have been a lurker for quite some time.

Since I first saw the Sky in a Auto Show picture gallery I have fallen in love with the design, this being years ago. And as time went by and the car was decided to be produced I got gradually more excited.

Background info on my past cars...
1st car- 1995 BMW 318ti... Great car, I loved it despite it's lack of butt/trunk. It had adequate power, and good gas mileage and handling was incredible. Despite all the problems that come with a 120,000mile car it was still amazing. However her life was taken too soon by the evils of snow and a tree.

2nd car (current one)- Leased 2005 VW Jetta... I needed a new car, I had to get to school and work. My father comes home one day with this Jetta and says here, the lease is $120 a month (awesome deal) and insurance will be cheap for you. So that's basically how I got that car. Don't like it, but does get me from A to B.

Now the lease will be ending within the upcoming year, and they plan on buying it out and giving it to my younger sister. So I am left to find a new auto for myself and that's why I am here. I have been a fan of convertibles since I can remember. My cousin has a 350z conv. which I drive occasionally, I love it except for the interior and price.

This brings me to the Sky. Interior and exterior by far most attractive I have seen, and definitely price wise more reasonable. Since the dealer by me doesnt have one I am coming to you guys who already have one.

What do you think of it in general. Is the handling good? Power adequate? Also is the quality good, becuase being a Saturn they have a bad rep... Any un-biased reviews of you car would be great.

Thanks, and I look forward to being on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
durnadupa said:
Hey, this is my first post and all but have been a lurker for quite some time.

Since I first saw the Sky in a Auto Show picture gallery I have fallen in love with the design, this being years ago. And as time went by and the car was decided to be produced I got gradually more excited.

Background info on my past cars...
1st car- 1995 BMW 318ti... Great car, I loved it despite it's lack of butt/trunk. It had adequate power, and good gas mileage and handling was incredible. Despite all the problems that come with a 120,000mile car it was still amazing. However her life was taken too soon by the evils of snow and a tree.

2nd car (current one)- Leased 2005 VW Jetta... I needed a new car, I had to get to school and work. My father comes home one day with this Jetta and says here, the lease is $120 a month (awesome deal) and insurance will be cheap for you. So that's basically how I got that car. Don't like it, but does get me from A to B.

Now the lease will be ending within the upcoming year, and they plan on buying it out and giving it to my younger sister. So I am left to find a new auto for myself and that's why I am here. I have been a fan of convertibles since I can remember. My cousin has a 350z conv. which I drive occasionally, I love it except for the interior and price.

This brings me to the Sky. Interior and exterior by far most attractive I have seen, and definitely price wise more reasonable. Since the dealer by me doesnt have one I am coming to you guys who already have one.

What do you think of it in general. Is the handling good? Power adequate? Also is the quality good, becuase being a Saturn they have a bad rep... Any un-biased reviews of you car would be great.

Thanks, and I look forward to being on this board.
I personally have NEVER heard that Saturn had a bad quality Rep -- The 3 I have own rank as 1,2,3 as the highest quality cars I have ever owned. #4 will be my SKY and I expect nothing less that what I have experienced in the past. Also there service is next to none and, at least at my store -- some of the nicest people to deal with ever!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not saying they have bad quality in all aspects, but interior wise I've heard they are not up to par. But the Sky looks to be by far the best interior I have seen. It was a question, as I have not had a chance to see one in person up close yet.

And yes I heard they provide excellent service to their customers. Which is great, because frankly VW is quite low.

Also when I tell people about this car they immediately question me because "who wants a Saturn??!!" It's just public opinion. But I am gonna say that the new models to be released look much better than most cars on the road(Sky Aura).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I've had a saturn for several years, i love it. my sister has one to and she has never had a problem. where did you hear saturn has a bad rep? not true
Theresa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
durnadupa said:
I am not saying they have bad quality in all aspects, but interior wise I've heard they are not up to par. But the Sky looks to be by far the best interior I have seen. It was a question, as I have not had a chance to see one in person up close yet.

And yes I heard they provide excellent service to their customers. Which is great, because frankly VW is quite low.

Also when I tell people about this car they immediately question me because "who wants a Saturn??!!" It's just public opinion. But I am gonna say that the new models to be released look much better than most cars on the road(Sky Aura).
I've not heard anything negative about Saturn's rep...infact I've heard quite the contrary. For what it's worth...I can relate to your VW customer service experiences...I'm currently driving a 99 Beetle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
durnadupa said:
I am not saying they have bad quality in all aspects, but interior wise I've heard they are not up to par. But the Sky looks to be by far the best interior I have seen. It was a question, as I have not had a chance to see one in person up close yet.

And yes I heard they provide excellent service to their customers. Which is great, because frankly VW is quite low.

Also when I tell people about this car they immediately question me because "who wants a Saturn??!!" It's just public opinion. But I am gonna say that the new models to be released look much better than most cars on the road(Sky Aura).
I know when the ION's first came out most of the reviews said the interior looked "cheap". I have a 2004 and can say there are couple of things I do not like. Since then I understand they improved the interior on the IONS.

In regards to Quality with dependability I have 4 Saturns and the worst thing I have had was the ECM needed to be reprogrammed on the 2004 VUE.

As far as I am concerned tSaturns are very dependable cars.

Re: Sky, the plastic in the Dashboard does look a little cheap to me. However, the overall interior design is so elegant I would of not noticed unless someone else mentiioned it.

In regards to reviews, most reviewers seem not to like Saturns at all and it is very obvious in the tone of the articles. Some reviewers praise a design in the scion or a honda and find the same design as a negative in the Saturn. e.g. the center instrument panel on the ION.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Saturn gained it's bargain basement reputation from GM ignoring the brand for so long. The S series was a fine compact, but GM did little but give it mild updates over more than a decade. Then when they replaced it, they came out with the Ion which had a very unusual design (center IP, the really small bumper car steering wheel) which were not well received. It also had a higher than usual number of individual plastic pieces which made up the dash/interior which make it more susceptable to rattles/squeeks as it ages and loosenes up. The L series didn't help as it's smaller size and somewhat weak V6 didn't excite many buyers.

However, that is just one car. The Vue is a very nice vehicle (and successful one for GM).

Saturn is soon to be a very different looking company. With the new Sky, and the upcoming Aura and Outlook (I think that is the name of the new crossover), Saturn will have three new, fresh vehicles with much higher levels of "perceived" interior design and quality, making the Ion the exception and not the rule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
durnadupa said:
I am not saying they have bad quality in all aspects, but interior wise I've heard they are not up to par. But the Sky looks to be by far the best interior I have seen. It was a question, as I have not had a chance to see one in person up close yet.

And yes I heard they provide excellent service to their customers. Which is great, because frankly VW is quite low.

Also when I tell people about this car they immediately question me because "who wants a Saturn??!!" It's just public opinion. But I am gonna say that the new models to be released look much better than most cars on the road(Sky Aura).
You are right! Engine noise was a concern in they first few years of Saturn's production..I have owned a '93, '95, '00 and ready for the 2007 Sky. The original engines were quite noisy and they put more sound insulation in the firewall area to quiet it. As for the newer engines there is no comparison. The 6 cylinders are just like any other 6 cylinder car, but the new 4 cylinder used in the Ion there is no noticable engine noise. The Sky engine is the same that is used in the Chevrolet Cobalt and it has a well developed history. I think most on this forum would agree, there is no comparison to the SKY.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
I have a 2003 Saturn VUE with 46000 miles on it and have had no problems and with a second Saturn in the family I look forward to many more trouble free miles.:patriot:
 

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
Ernest said:
The engine noise in the SKY, one word "aggressive":D Or possibly "fierce":thumbs:
:agree: The 2 other Saturns that I have owned were great cars: reliable and great on gas. My '95 SL1 had 81K on her when I sold her to get my '01 SC2 3-dr coupe. Then I sold the SC2 when she had 71K on her to get my SKY. The customer service I have gotten from Saturn has been a pleasure to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Ernest said:
The engine noise in the SKY, one word "aggressive":D Or possibly "fierce":thumbs:

OOOH...I cannot wait. Ernest: I have yet to even SEEE a real Sky!!!Thanks to those who got their Skys and are sharing....I would have naggy doubts. Thanks for sharing sound too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help so far...

But for those of you who already have the car, can you give a brief review of it? Anything and all things associated with it would be great, even the bad things (which I can't imagine they're being).

Also, if anyone has seen online car/test-drive reviews of the Sky, as in magazine type things, that would be great.
 

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
Joined
·
408 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top