Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get a new FOB online what is involved in getting it programmed for my car?

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
If I get a new FOB online what is involved in getting it programmed for my car?
This has been discussed several times. You have two options:
  1. Dorman sells a fob programmer that plugs into the OBD port and will work, I think, three times.
  2. Go to a dealer, independent repair shop, or a person who has a Tech2 or equivalent diagnostic scanner.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its been discussed in the past but was wondering if there had been a change in price and availability. A couple of years ago it was EXPENSIVE. I would hope as the cars got older the price would drop

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I don't think the age of our cars is going to matter, since all of the components are usable for a variety of cars.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This lock down has me trying to find things to do. I am just lying around sleeping all day trying to find things to bitch about. Temp 96.7 and pulse rate 67 so I guess I am not infected YET. Guess I wont get that $10 FOB if it costs $75 to get it programmed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can get the Dorman programer at Amazon which includes one new fob for around $55.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried to decipher the one I need and its not easy/possible. I entered my part number but it doesnt find the correct one. Do you know the Dorman part number for it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That found it, thanks. Will that programmer also reprogram my current fob that dosnt work? How does it connect to the fob? I dont see any connectors on the fob.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
That found it, thanks. Will that programmer also reprogram my current fob that dosnt work? How does it connect to the fob? I dont see any connectors on the fob.
You don't program the fob. You program the car to recognize the fob.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That explains a lot. I thought it was the other way around. Also explains why it costs so much

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that means you cant have two fobs unless they came originally matched?

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I guess that means you cant have two fobs unless they came originally matched?
No. The car will pair with, I think, up to five, and each one is unique, so they do not have to be matched. Each of mine currently has the two original ones plus two of the "switchblade" key/fob combinations that I bought later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you get the Dorman programmer, you have to go thru and pair any existing fobs you have when you pair the new one. For the non working one you have, be sure the check for broken solder on the battery clip, and that it’s got a fresh battery. I went thru this exact thing a few weeks back and the 13732 worked for me.

Here‘s a YouTube video that shows it all...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought two new switchblade fobs on ebay and had a local locksmith cut the two key blanks and program the fobs for $100. The local Chevy dealer (former Saturn) wanted $350 to do the same job!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One old one still works, I want a backup.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
One old one still works, I want a backup.
You mentioned one the doesn't work in Post #9. Do you have one that works and one that doesn't?
If you do have one that doesn't work you can probably fix it. It has been mentioned that the battery clip fails but that can be soldered back together, also the button contact pads get dirty but can be cleaned.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the one that didnt work was beyond repair. Main board was crushed. I now have two keys and one fob. I want to put a fob on the second key as a backup set. But its not a front porch issue.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts